Your children and your surgery

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

enigma

Your children and your surgery

#1 Post by enigma »

Was just wondering how people handled their children and what they said to them while they were going through this process.
I have told my girls (2 & 4) that my braces are to fix my smile and they seem happy with that they enjoy pinging my elastics from time to time!!
I was wondering how long after surgery was it before you could speak as i know this might be really worrying for them any tips for how do deal with kids during this process would be great thank you xxx

ema27

#2 Post by ema27 »

Hi i had surgery a while a go now-but i can still recall the look of pure horror on my childrens face the day i came home from hospital!I Had lower jaw surgery and genioplasty. i was uncomfy not in pain but my face was swollen i dont think my children were prepared for what i may look like.Saying that within a couple of days they had got use to my new look -oh and played on the fact i couldnt shout at them...LOL
Kids are very resilient and get use to anything the world throws at them good luck it will be worth it in the end..

Emaciated

#3 Post by Emaciated »

My 1.5 year old daughter didn't even notice. She was just happy to see me.

enigma

#4 Post by enigma »

awe bless

OhioM

#5 Post by OhioM »

Karl, that is a great picture - not sure if I can call it funny or what! You poor thing with that oblivious child probably climbing all over you.....she's precious, though!
Recovering from Lefort 1 (5.5 mm impaction) with genio (6 mm) 1/20/10

catsteeth

#6 Post by catsteeth »

That is a wonderful picture!

Cat

iBorg

#7 Post by iBorg »

I warned them I'd look like the Michelin Man. My son was a bit disappointed it only lasted a day or so.

They'll love you no matter what.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

Emaciated

#8 Post by Emaciated »

OhioM wrote:Karl, that is a great picture - not sure if I can call it funny or what! You poor thing with that oblivious child probably climbing all over you.....she's precious, though!
It IS a funny photo, its hilarious, I was SO miserable and it didn't effect her at all.

Enigma, sorry to chime in late but here are some related threads that may repeat themselves or add more info if you're curious:

Orthognathic Surgery, babies and small children

Does anyone have young kids? If so how did they react?

mp921

#9 Post by mp921 »

My 3 year old had a look of fear when she first saw how huge my face was, but she quickly warmed up and gave me a hug then wanted to snuggle in bed. The week leading up to surgery we would blow our cheeks up and tell her that Mommy was going to look like that for a while. :wink:
Braced 2nd Time: May 2008
Lower Jaw Advancement Surgery (BSSO): August 2009
One Miniplate & Four Screws Removed: October 2009

projo198

#10 Post by projo198 »

Mixed review from the kids LOL... My 7 yr old son made fun of me, my 7 yr old stepson was just curious, my 6 yr old stepdaughter was scared of me and my little guy (1 yr old) was just sweet about it.

They all came around, kids are cool like that. I do feel as if I neglected then for the first week or so being so miserable; so I do what I can now to make up for it.

My little guy has been sick for the last week or so, so he spends a lot of time napping on my lap on the couch. It works.