Allergic Reaction to Molar Bands - what now?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BracedVeryLate

Allergic Reaction to Molar Bands - what now?

#1 Post by BracedVeryLate »

I haven't posted in a while. I have had braces for 16 months, and on and off, I have had many annoying gum problems. I thought if I kept my braces super-clean, it would prevent this type of problem.
Well, I have been referred to a third doctor, and he thinks I am having allergic reactions to the metal in the molar bands! I have had a bad lesion in one gum, which 'burst' and produced a hole in my gum which will have to be repaired with a gum graft. In the meantime, the gum near another molar band is red and inflamed. I have had huge gum swellings, and one night the entire roof of my mouth was swelled.
Have any of you ever heard of this? I cannot wear earrings or rings, so I guess this should have occurred to me at some point. ooops!
I have an appt. tomorrow to check in with my ortho, and then I will be off to the periodontist. I never had any gum problems before braces, so this is really annoying and time-consuming.
Honestly, this whole endeavor is costing way too much money. I am starting to get down on the whole braces thing, it seems to be one thing after another. I am normally a very healthy person, so all these little things are surprising me.
Is there an alternative to metal bands? I am nowhere near done with my treatment, so getting braces taken off would be a bad idea. I already had to have one molar de-braced and the premolar is becoming twisted from the pressure.
sorry so long - I sure could use a little encouragement!!
have a good evening.

starzz

#2 Post by starzz »

Yes there is an alternative to molar bands. There are brackets with "buccal tubes" that can be used on molars instead. I have these.
Braced for 2 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 5 days (the 2nd time ‘round)
Hawley on top, Essix on bottom

drrick

#3 Post by drrick »

Have yoou been checked by an alergist?

It is very uncommon to be alergic to the bands. I hav personally treated countless pts who said they were nickel-allergic with braces.

I would be interested in what the periodontist has to say.
SOunds like a gum inflammation situation which can be caused by many things
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

jackjack

#4 Post by jackjack »

i have this same problem too. i've had my braces for a little over a year and all of a sudden i started having problems with my bands. i had to go in 3 seperate times within a month because of my gums becoming swollen around my bands. i've had 3 bands taken off and at my next appointment the ortho is going to take my 4th band off and replace all with brackets to prevent this problem. i wouldn't be too stressed about it and i would definately keep the braces!