Patience.....

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lovelyleo

Patience.....

#1 Post by lovelyleo »

I am really trying to be patient with my treatment, but all of the things that bothered me aesthically prior to braces look corrected to me, however I am nowhere near the END. I can feel that my bite is off now. Whereas before I really couldn't feel it. I just wish there was a way that I could close my eyes, click my ruby red shoes say there is no taste like corn on the cob, and wake up with straigjt teeth good bite and no braces. I really do look forward to the day when my braces come off.

P.S. Seeimg so many brace stories ending at 12/14 months does not help either. :cry:

Debrace DAY Monday June 14th!!!!
24-30 month estimated treatment time

BRACEYOURSELF!

#2 Post by BRACEYOURSELF! »

If an ortho told me I'd need braces for only 12-14months, I would switch orthos pronto. I have a couple of friends who had it on for only around a year and years down the track they had to get braces again. So be glad your braces are on for atleast 18-24months :) Miracles take time :)

PS: I can't wait too!!!!

Ice runner

#3 Post by Ice runner »

Like "braceyourself" said; miracles need time. :) To me, it helps thinking on people who just got braces or will get them, then I say to myself, thanks God I am already 9 months in treatment. :)

Patience.... one day. And of course I hardly wait to, to get them off.

daniel7

#4 Post by daniel7 »

Your not alone lovelyleo! I was just about to start a threat about this...

I've had mine on for just over 12 months... The braces didn't bother me until now. In fact, the 12 months went really fast.

It feels like I should be near the end, but I'm only half way!! Everyday I think about it now. I have to wait another 24 weeks until I go in for orthognathic surgery. And then I have to wait 6-9 months recovery then the braces can come off. I need something to distract me from thinking about them until then!

lovelyleo

#5 Post by lovelyleo »

I do that exact same thing! I make liitle time line events to make the treatment time go faster. I think if I can just make it to January (4 months away) I will only have 6 months of treatment left if I stay on track., although I really hope they come off before my 26th birthday (Aug. 10th). I don't mind the braces, but I fantasize a great deal about my smile after they come off. I'm just glad that I am not alone. There is something about hitting the one year mark and that countdown really begins.
daniel7 wrote:Your not alone lovelyleo! I was just about to start a threat about this...

I've had mine on for just over 12 months... The braces didn't bother me until now. In fact, the 12 months went really fast.

It feels like I should be near the end, but I'm only half way!! Everyday I think about it now. I have to wait another 24 weeks until I go in for orthognathic surgery. And then I have to wait 6-9 months recovery then the braces can come off. I need something to distract me from thinking about them until then!

anaxthema

#6 Post by anaxthema »

It's funny this topic should rise up the boards. Just last night I did a Google on patience. It brought up an article detailing studies done on monkeys. They found that the primates who eat things like tree sap were much more likely to wait it out for a greater reward than take smaller immediate rewards. The ones who ate insects were reversely inclined.

What does this have to do with you being sick of braces? Hmmm not much, except that you should realize the end reward of having a winning smile is worth more than feeing like a dork in braces right now. At least, that's what I tried to take out of it. Also, tree sap and insects would be horrible in braces, but yet such a fantastic weight loss diet.

I feel where you're coming from though. I just turned 21 a few weeks ago. For my birthday I had the top brackets removed. I had a blast, and I LOVED my straight teeth and semi-freedom. When I got the tops back on I realized that nothing had really changed. It didn't change who I was, and that waiting it out won't be so bad. The only thing I noticed was that I smiled MUCH more, and people responded to that. I’m hot to trot and want them off ASAP, but I also know that I need this right now. Sure with the braces I get triple carded, and sure I feel like a geek most of the time (especially with these damn elastics), but it's worth it.

staceyr2

#7 Post by staceyr2 »

HA HA HA HA.
Sorry I had to laugh. I too know how it feels to want them off soooooooo bad. If you guys feel like this after a little more than a year, imagine how I must feel after nearly 4 years :!:
ha ha ha ha
Well, it's probably not much different actually, since they really didn't bother me too much for about 3 years, because I knew that's how long I would have to have them, I think.
But, I am getting really REALLY ansy now. I know there is still so much work to be done AFTER they are off. (gum surgery and tooth rebuilding) At least on the plus side, I don't think those take as long to heal.
I also realize that maintenance is forever. I don't ever want to go through this again, so I need to make sure I do the maintenance like I am supposed to.
Good news, my ortho said something about permanent retainers on next visit! I will not hold my breath though, still not sure if they are teasing.
he he
staceyr2
(braced after age 30)
wearing metal self-ligating on both

Lola

#8 Post by Lola »

When I first got braces my friend decided to go too. After putting it off again and again she has finally booked a consultation... and Im nearly finished! I always hated those people who were near the end when I had so far to go, now I am one of them to her and it feels GREAT!

lovelyleo

#9 Post by lovelyleo »

Lola wrote:When I first got braces my friend decided to go too. After putting it off again and again she has finally booked a consultation... and Im nearly finished! I always hated those people who were near the end when I had so far to go, now I am one of them to her and it feels GREAT!

I dream of the day I can post "Debraced Today" in the subject line! :lol:

macgirl4ever

12/14 Month Remark

#10 Post by macgirl4ever »

I think the time spent in braces is completely up to the individual. Some people have mild cases and some people are just very compliant with elastics, going to appointments, and having good oral hygiene. Granted, I've seen cases where people have gotten debanded and it seemed as though it was too soon but I'm personally hoping to shave at least three months off my 18-24 month sentence!
Braced: 20 months March 2009-November 2010