Does anyone here regret getting extractions?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

diesel

Does anyone here regret getting extractions?

#1 Post by diesel »

Just a question.

With all the non-orthodontic trends. damon and such, saying how "unnatural" or unnecessary they are.

Not to mention, when i went to see a dentist to pull out the teeth he straight up told me that this was (again) very unnatural and my profile *could* look like a disaster in the end, and that my orthodontist was just looking for an easy method out and is more concerned for his income then his patients aesthetics.
I was confused at his unproffesional claim, but I still got them out..
then i found those dr.derek mahony videos on youtube(about faces being severely impacted by this) and got PARANOID

I pretty much do the double mirror profile thing every week to see if it looks hideous yet. With the braces still on and the lips still pushed forward by the brackets its hard to determine. My face has been pushed back however.
Can't wait for that "unnatural" result.
:(

It will look dope don't get me wrong, but i'll be jealous of poeple who still have all their teeth.

diesel

#2 Post by diesel »

oops i meant "non-extraction trends" My bad.

classII

#3 Post by classII »

dr.derek mahony
Garbage.

He's a salesman in OZ for Damon braces.

The difference between the so-called "twins" [aka props] is that the one works out and the other doesn't.

The one has a flabby face the other has a taut face.This is from working out.

There's this continual hysterics about blemishes, spots and blotches here today gone tomorrow with this continual "thin face" drama.

Medically, mathematically, every scientifically way it can be done, it can't be done by the melodramatic drama kings and queens UNLESS you're dealing with a completely unregistered dentist pretend ortho in order to save some bucks.

Instead of all quibbling and waffling about the same thing over and over, re-nicking new names and whining about the perceived problem, grab the bull by the horns and demand and full diagnostics explanation.

PULL UP YOUR SOCKS.

99% of extractions are called for unless you're nickel and dimeing some back room dentist who doesn't know what he's doing and says for 1--x 4 teeth you need to doit but the overall cost is half of what you.......blah blah blahablahblah...!

Get a grip!

diesel

#4 Post by diesel »

The twins have significantly different profiles and lip closures though. That doesn't happen from lifting and dieting.
The profile where he looked like an old man... you reason that's photoshop?
I don't think that video can be discredited yet.

I'm sure there's also cons to damon brackets that no one talks about because they're just so speedy and and dandy.

Having had invisaligns before that ended bad for the bite and left me with a 5 mm overjet, the most pathetic lisp, and lips that didn't fully close at rest i sort of rushed into the whole extraction deal.

after all of that, an awful profile as an end result that i have to live with would be double whammy.

classII

#5 Post by classII »

No they don't.

One is 'flabby' faced' the other 'taut'.

This is a slob vs.athlete. All athletes lose 'water' in their faces which wrap around their skeletal structure.The "ad" designed to show this. Has nothing to do with their dental procedure.

In fact its so fact had that been done in the US he, DR Maloney, would be out of a license.

Junk.

As an addition you can clearly see his "junk" sales pitch by his CV, is all about "speaking engagements".

SHONKY SHILL

if you know Oz talk 8)

diesel

#6 Post by diesel »

Just how do you know this? Curious.

Mahony isn't the only anti-extraction marketeer. There's tons of others who want to keep it as natural as possible.
isn't this a "war" in the world of orthodontics?

Are they all just hired by Damon?
Are faces ACTUALLY being damaged or is it all bogus?
It WAS on 60 minutes... legit?
Just throwing stuff out there. I know nothing...

khrystal1968

#7 Post by khrystal1968 »

I regret my extractions FULLY and I wished I hadn't listened to my doctor who doesn't give a hoot about my concerns over this. I lost 3 healthy teeth. I don't smile anymore, I haven't felt well since and my face changed within DAYS of those teeth being gone. My 1st premolars were HUGE with long double roots. I imagine they were doing something to hold my cheeks up. I saw a two other professionals who told me that my smile is going to be pushed too back. My smile didn't look too bad to begin with except for flared bottom incisors. That was it. I was told by another ortho this could have been avoided. Last night I called my orthodontists partner, and told him of my concerns. He tells me everything is going to be "fine". Today, however, he called me and sounded a little nervous. He also asked me if I am on "his side". Don't know what that meant. I am very angry and upset. I was told in the beginning of treatment "those teeth are there for a reason". Then 9 months later they start pulling. I am going to look like a freak when I am done. Can't wait.

cjo8787

#8 Post by cjo8787 »

I do. Mainly because my upper teeth are now recessed, they weren't before. My mouth is too small now, it's just not natural. Also the idea that I can never get those teeth back, something that was my birth right. Sadly I was only 12 an didn't know any better, I trusted the doc. Will never forgive him.

classII

#9 Post by classII »

diesel wrote:Just how do you know this? Curious.

Mahony isn't the only anti-extraction marketeer. There's tons of others who want to keep it as natural as possible.
isn't this a "war" in the world of orthodontics?

Are they all just hired by Damon?
Are faces ACTUALLY being damaged or is it all bogus?
It WAS on 60 minutes... legit?
Just throwing stuff out there. I know nothing...
No one has a complaint except when the fatty slop like existence they have enjoyed is changed by the mear cheek exercise of pouting and sucking their usually fat face and the muscles become"used" for the first time and "collapse" or become taught" and wrap around the braces, before their skeleton and the squeal,my noraml fat sloppy face has collapsed.

And we haven't even begun on the science of extracctions and arch rounding and how the differencial us under -.mm / required patient.

Forget about the guy in Australia, typical "lightweight' hysteria monger.

nota bean: if you for the backroom 'teeth guy'someone 'recomemended' you will get what you pay for.

DrJasonKTam

#10 Post by DrJasonKTam »

One thing not understood by the general public is that extraction treatment does not have to mean sunken in face or dished in profiles. Competent orthodontists do not create unaesthetic faces when extracting teeth because they understand when they are required, and how to manage the space closure. It is an awful scare tactic to equate all extraction treatment with poor profiles.

I will provide a brief explanation.

Generally, horror stories of patients who have had extractions entail over-retraction of the anterior teeth or those that did not need them. However, when exos are required, it is possible to move the posterior teeth forward also. With this principle in mind, the profile is not going to change significantly.

Clearly, extractions can result in more, some, or no profile change.

Find an orthodontist who understands your needs, and make sure you understand everything before accepting any kind of treatment. When you have all the information ahead of time, there's less likely going to be regret.

Best of luck to all :).
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

caitlin1120

#11 Post by caitlin1120 »

I had seven extractions on August 7th followed by braces on August 19th, and I don't regret them at all. Obviously my teeth haven't moved dramatically yet so I can't see the full results, but I've had no noticeable change to my face or profile whatsoever. I've had a couple friends comment on how my face looks smaller or more narrow but it was meant as a compliment, and I'm not sure if that can be attributed to the extractions or to the fact that I've lost weight (due to healthy diet and exercise, not just because of the braces/extractions).

I feel awful for anyone who has had a bad result from their extractions, but I'm totally happy with the way that I look and although there might continue to be more changes in my face throughout the treatment, I'm really excited for the end result!

khrystal1968

#12 Post by khrystal1968 »

My ortho is only retracting my 6 front teeth back. He is not moving any molars forward.

TumbleDryLow

#13 Post by TumbleDryLow »

Nope. Don't regret it. If my face has changed it's for the better, IMHO.

My two cents: If you look in the mirror long enough you will find something wrong. You will definitely find something wrong if you have read all the scary stuff on this board and assume it will also apply to you.

My three cents: If I were to believe every "news" story I saw on TV I would never leave my house for fear of being robbed, raped, kidnapped, or killed.

diesel

#14 Post by diesel »

TumbleDryLow wrote:Nope. Don't regret it. If my face has changed it's for the better, IMHO.

My two cents: If you look in the mirror long enough you will find something wrong. You will definitely find something wrong if you have read all the scary stuff on this board and assume it will also apply to you.

My three cents: If I were to believe every "news" story I saw on TV I would never leave my house for fear of being robbed, raped, kidnapped, or killed.
That's all irrelevant grey talk though. the risk of something bad happening in some real life situation doesn't have much to do with a clear receding jaw. If it has receded and looks demented or at the least doesn't look as good and defined as it looked before that's no doubt a problem.

My ortho SEEMS reputable as to his huge clientele, credentials, dazzling results posted all over the waiting room. Interestingly enough there are never any profile photos displayed of his patients and i wonder if any of them have the problem or realize it. It's the most frustrating thing not knowing who to trust, or feeling that someone is minldlessly and ruthlessly making money off what will be your expense and what you will have to live with. I wouldn't be able to afford implants if i decided to reverse everything. I'd be stuck with 4 holes for life. The emotional toll of all that wasted time would be painful as well.

When i told my ortho what the dentist had said about an imminent "disaster profile"... he seemed angered and said that the dentist should have contacted him to discuss this first. That politics crap doesn't matter much to me as all I want is to know the clear cut truth about if it's indeed true or not. Orthodontists tend to talk to their patients like they're children or something and omit crucial information, to maybe hook another lemming...another money source to cover their own vacation yacht expenses.

Now all there is to do is wait weeks for every adjustment and watch closely how the face looks.

gracey82

#15 Post by gracey82 »

Its really narrow minded to say the non-extraction method is garbage.
It has its common sense and logic, just think about it.

Most of the orthon are mainly concerns with the aesthetic of your teeth, if its aligned, etc. Not a lot taking into consideration the aesthetic side of your smile, your profile. After all, thats orthodontic job, to correct your teeth.

So Im very careful to convey my desire to my orthon. I not very serious case to begin with, after talking to 3 orthon who wants to extract my teeth, I settle with the one with conservative approach of keeping my teeth.

I would say think and consult as many as you can, who can address your concern, before you choose your ortho!