New and Scared

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mlholl19

New and Scared

#1 Post by mlholl19 »

Hi everyone!

I am new to this. I am 26 and I am getting braces in 9 days. The closer the time comes the more scared I get. I already look a bit young (people usually think I am 21), but now I'm scared that i'm going to look 15 again. I'm single, so I'm a bit scared that men won't find me attractive. Also I'm scared of the pain because all of my coworkers that have had braces keep telling me how bad they hurt. Are braces really that bad?

sarahlynn

#2 Post by sarahlynn »

It is a scary step, but it's a good thing that you're doing. I'm 28 (almost 29) and I've had my tops on for 1.5 weeks now. It's something that I've always wanted to do, yet was scared and nervous about it all - I've always hated my smile but at the same time didn't want a mouthful of metal on top of it all! I'm like you in that I've always looked young and was also worried about looking even younger. While I do think I look a little younger, I'm taking it in stride and trying to have a sense of humor about it and really they don't look that bad. I've had nothing but positive responses from friends and coworkers.

The day that I got them on was the worst (go to the braces stories and read my story) - I felt really ridiculous and I just wanted to cry. But as everyone here told me, it would only get better - and it has. It took me a few days to adjust and yes I was nervous about getting out and letting people see me in these. But as the days go on it does get better. Just knowing that this is the worst part, these first few weeks and months (you know, having crooked teeth AND the metal - but soon enough the teeth will start looking better and better), it makes me feel like I can do this.

I really have not had much pain at all. I had pain from the spacers, and that was worse than anything I've had now. My teeth are sensitive and sore when I try to chew, but that's about it - it's very tolerable and I don't need to take any pain killers. It's awkward to eat at first, and cleaning, but that gets better too.

Good luck with yours, it will be ok!

mlholl19

#3 Post by mlholl19 »

Thanks Sarahlynn, I appreciate the advice! :)

single&braces

#4 Post by single&braces »

hi mlholl19,

im like you, 27 and just got my braces yesterday and I felt terrible already. Of not able to eat or chew right, worst I'm single and 27! :(

I been complaining like a baby, my teeth is not too bad to begin with, jsut hope its worth it :(

xoxo
Single&Braces

almost done

#5 Post by almost done »

hi all!
i got mine on at 28 and am now 30 and just about to get them off! (yay!)
I just really wanted to say NOT to worry about dating with braces. AT ALL!

I found that if anything, I got MORE attention with the braces. And I really don't think it was gross kink fetish guys. I think the braces just make you more approachable, more memorable, and they kind of look fun. Seriously, I had more dates in the months after I got them on than I had had the previous year. And A year after getting them, I met the most amazing (hot, totally desirable, great) man who doesn't even see them and who I've been with for almost a year now. It couldn't matter less to him. He's excited to see me without them, but it's just been a fun funny thing that we laugh about from time to time. anyway, I can remember wanting to hear stuff like that after I got them on --- i was crying and believing no one would ever want to date me. so not true. See it as a new fun part of your personality, and that's how other people will see you too. Seriously!!!

You're going to love having them -- promise!

xoxo

Mouse6

Hi

#6 Post by Mouse6 »

I am 33 and got my braces 5 weeks ago. I am still sooooo scared to go out in public. I always have the feeling that people are staring at me.
Also, I love to go out dancing or go for a drink, but haven't done that since I got my braces. Do guys really don't mind? Does anyone share their experience as an adult in braces and dating?
Thanks!

Tami41175

I'm a newbie also

#7 Post by Tami41175 »

Hello, I'm a newbie also. I am 34 years old. My 13 year old daughter and I are going to be going through this process together. We both get our spacers on August 27th and braces on September 2nd. I am very nervious. I am trying to be strong for my daughter but I am kind of excited at the same time. :D

Tami41175

sorry, new at this

#8 Post by Tami41175 »

Hi, I am 34 years old. My 13 year old daughter and I are going to be going through this process together. We both get our spacers on August 27th and braces on September 2nd. :D I am very nervous, but I am kind of excited at the same time....but I am trying to be strong for my daughter. I don't want her to be scared. I am very nervous because I have had my top right second tooth (the eye tooth i guess) pulled. I have had a flipper (retainer with a tooth on it) for the last 9 years. It is right there in the front of my mouth where everyone is going to see the HUGE hole it's not like I can hide it. I am going to have a HUGE hole in the middle of my teeth for how long? :cry: OH MY GOD!!! every time I think about that I can't even breathe. What am I going to do! :roll: What are people / co-workers / friends / family going to say when they see me? :oops: Then I think about how I am going to look in a little over 2 years. I can not wait!! Is this normal? or am I just being a freak? Is it OK for an adult to get colored donuts?

starzz

#9 Post by starzz »

Tami,
They may be able to put a "fake tooth" on your braces archwire, kind of like the flipper you had before. What is the long term plan -- are they closing the gap or are you getting an implant? Or was it a baby tooth you had pulled and the adult tooth is impacted in the gum and will be pulled down?

Yes it's OK for adults to get colored ligatures, LOL. :lol:
Braced for 2 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 5 days (the 2nd time ‘round)
Hawley on top, Essix on bottom

Tami41175

#10 Post by Tami41175 »

Starzz, thank you for your help =) I was told the first time I went to the Ortho that I would have braces for a little over two years. I would prefer the gap be closed. I would like to stay away from any and all implants. I have had this flipper for the last nine years I'm done with anything fake. I would like to only have real teeth for a while. The tooth I had pulled was my adult tooth. The tooth got infected and the infection spread into my face on the right side. My eye was almost swollen shut and the corner of my eye was turning purple because my face was swollen so bad. I went to the dentist and they drilled a hole in the back to let the tooth drain. I had to get IV antibiotics for three days, finally went back to the dentist and I was told that I had to have a root canal or have it pulled. I was scared so I never went back. I got another abscess about two years later and then my boyfriend at the time (now my husband) told me to just have it pulled, so I did. Regretted it ever since. That's why I thought about the whole braces thing. I'm over this flippin flipper....haha. Thank you again for your message =)

Tami41175

thank you Starzz =)

#11 Post by Tami41175 »

starzz, thank you so much for your comment!!! I asked about the tooth (kind of flipper) with a bracket and on the wire and turns out yes he can do it. THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!!!! :D awesome!!! maybe it wont be that bad

starzz

#12 Post by starzz »

Glad to be of help :D

Since you are missing that tooth, your smile won't be symmetrical. Talk to your ortho about implications. I suspect you would get best results in terms of cosmetics and aligned bite if they either implant a tooth or extract another one on the opposite side (a premolar perhaps?). Implants are pricey but they are sturdy and last a long time. It is a screw anchored in the jawbone with a crown attached. I don't have personal experience with them but plenty of people are missing teeth for whatever reason and get them after braces.

That infection sounds scary :yikes:
Braced for 2 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 5 days (the 2nd time ‘round)
Hawley on top, Essix on bottom

Tami41175

OH MY GOSH

#13 Post by Tami41175 »

Oh my gosh, what the heck was I thinking? :shock: What have I gotten myself into? Braces are not for adults. :roll: I feel like a complete idiot. I don't know if I can do this. I didn't realize how bad my teeth really were. :o WOW!!! I guess it will be worth it in the end though right? :lol: