Bad new for fans of Damon braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

DrJasonKTam

#16 Post by DrJasonKTam »

classII wrote:
To say that Ormco's marketing is "just that" is like saying it is OK for McDonalds to market their hamburger as 100% Pure Beef, with the name of their brand being 100% Pure Beef instead of actually being all-beef. Companies should market their product in a manner responsible to the public

Call it 90% as they do :wink:

http://www.damonbraces.com/q05.php

Will I need teeth pulled?

With conventional braces, orthodontists are often forced to pull teeth in order to create space for crowded teeth. No one likes to have teeth removed, and a smile with a full display of teeth often produces a broader, natural smile and a nicer profile. The Damon System uses biologically sensible forces which work with the body's natural adaptive processes to create space naturally, so doctors using the Damon System can now treat most cases without extraction.

In the few cases which still require extraction, space is made to improve facial balance and symmetry to provide a natural smile and profile that will last as you age.
90% Pure Beef is still far too high a percentage for non-extraction in a general population :).

The information I pass on regarding their philosophy comes from several Damon training courses. Let me tell you that these continuing education courses are certainly an interesting time! The fact is that they do not feel extractions are needed for crowding or expansion purposes. However, if changes to the profile are needed, then there is no choice but to remove teeth. It is the latter cases where Damon still advocates extractions.
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

lwyrwood

#17 Post by lwyrwood »

When I saw this post subject I immediately became concerned as I just got my damons on just over a couple of weeks ago. However, after reading the article I felt the subject was not completely fair. I dont have crowding and extractions were never a question. I must say thank you to Chicago29 cause what you said totally put my mind at ease. :D

When I first came to this site it was primarily to find info on and read posts from other damon wearers. I was bummed to find that most posts were debates from non-damon wearers about how damons werent any "better" than traditional braces. I never thought they were better, just different. I agree that the bottom line is your ortho and working with them to get the best results for you no matter what type of braces you use.

Lashay

#18 Post by Lashay »

chicago29 wrote:Thankfully, I did a lot of research and realized these claims are likely just marketing. I say "likely" because of course I am not an orthodontist and I don't really know with any level of certainty.
The responses in this thread were particularly interesting. I skimmed the study....but your statement regarding *marketing* was pretty much confirmed by an othodontist. I've had three consultations in the past month. The first and third consults never discussed the actual type or brand they would use...I had to ask the third consult-the one I have most familiarity with-what type of braces he'd use...brand was never discussed. Now, my second consult was a wild-card that I found online...about 35 miles or so away. The consultation was very brief but he immediately gave me a Damon brochure..and moved on to this next patient. I asked his assistant if clear, ceramic type braces would be an option for me...she kind of called him over to ask/get his answer. He was like "yeah it could be an option but I really like the Damon braces for her case. " :? Now, I have a slight underbite and he told me that surgery is always a possibility but he believes that he can fix it with braces and bands. Well, okay but what he doesn't know is that I want ceramic braces...at least on top. So fast forward to my third consult...we were discussing my treatment and he was telling me that I could clear braces on top for $200 more. I mentioned that I had a consult with another orthodontist...and how I got a brochure about how the braces will move the teeth faster/self-ligating etc...and how I was told that clear braces wasn't even an option for me with this other guy. I didn't mention brand but I'm sure he knew. He basically said in a nutshell that everything is not for everyone and some people push certain treatments...and they market them as if everyone would be successful with X...he mentioned Invisalign as example of X in this case. He did go on to say that he would use self-ligating braces on me but he doesn't use it on every patient. Since this was my third consult over several years with him (never went through treatment...only now am I financially able),the comfort level/familiarity is there...and I suppose trust. So I believe him when he says that self-ligating braces are exactly what I'd need...more than likely he will probably use the Clarity braces if I decide to go with him (once again brand was not discussed I'm just going by the info on the site and what his assistant told me). With the first consult, I have the clear/ceramic option...but I had to call back today to ask if the metal braces would be self-ligating (the assistant said they were SmartClip). I'd booked my records appt. with first consult because I was so sure about them but now not so much (there's a few reasons why I'm no longer sure). I'm basically in decision mode right now. But I typed all of this to say that I do believe that some orthodontists are comfortable with certain brands...and that's what they will use on most of their patients. What's funny is that second consult made sure to let me know that Damon was going to be used...with the brochure and all....whereas the other consults didn't even discuss the brand/self-ligating or not until I specifically asked. I guess Damon really wants to keep their name out there (providing their orthos with brochures/videos and stuff)...it does seem to be marketed as top of the line. As far price, I will say that this guy's Damon3 treatment (I called to confirm this) is going to be at least $770 more.

ITeachMY

#19 Post by ITeachMY »

When I first went to see my orthodontist, I asked him about Damon braces. He is not a proponent of them and does not use them at all. He also teaches orthodontics at the university and has used them there and said that the tension was so severe when putting them on that patients would actually cry.
Then again, he is not a proponent of ceramic braces either, yet my friends that have them like them a lot. Maybe it has something to do with my 11mm overjet (YIKES). Not sure.

UGHBRACES

#20 Post by UGHBRACES »

My crowding has been sorted out with the Damon's, i couldn't be happier with them. My treatment so far has been relatively pain free as well, with the exception of canker sores but i don't get them anymore and they are to be expected with every type of bracket.

Blossom

#21 Post by Blossom »

UGHBRACES wrote:My crowding has been sorted out with the Damon's, i couldn't be happier with them. My treatment so far has been relatively pain free as well, with the exception of canker sores but i don't get them anymore and they are to be expected with every type of bracket.
I'm with you on this. My front teeth are almost straight for the first time in my life and it's only been about 4 months. My top jaw is much wider and developing into a "U" shape instead of the little V shape it was.. and yes they can be uncomfortable but I can see they are working and working quickly so I am 100% happy with what the Damons are doing for me.
Had I listened to the 2 or 3 other orthos I spoke to, I would have had teeth pulled and possibly my jaw broken and reset. I have such a small mouth that pulling teeth would have changed my profile quite badly - this happened to my younger sister who had traditional braces with extractions.
[/url]

PiscesFish1969

#22 Post by PiscesFish1969 »

I have Damons, but also had extractions. The orthodontist I chose (after meeting with four) was the most thorough at consultation, and her staff was the most friendly and informative at consultation. I did not chose the orthodontist based on her use of Damons, but rather these other factors. I trust my ortho to use the treatment option that she believes will give me the best result. I did some research before I made my final choice, but Damon's marketing didn't have any bearing in my decision. I'm about halfway through my treatment, and I'm amazed at how much my teeth have changed. They are no longer crowded, and my bite - well it was open, and now I can actually take a bite of a sandwich with my front teeth! :D It has been a mostly pain-free experience, and I do like the fact that my adjustments have been 8 to 10 weeks apart. I'm very pleased so far. If you're looking into them, think about the reasons why & do your research - don't just look at their slick website. :D
Hubby got his Harley - 8/07
Started researching Orthos - 9/07
Lower Pre-molar extractions 8/6/08
Braced on 8/13/08 - 39 years old
Debraced on 12/6/2010 - 41 years old
Looking forward to the next 41+ years, this time with an improved smile!

DrJasonKTam

#23 Post by DrJasonKTam »

PiscesFish1969 wrote:I have Damons, but also had extractions. The orthodontist I chose (after meeting with four) was the most thorough at consultation, and her staff was the most friendly and informative at consultation. I did not chose the orthodontist based on her use of Damons, but rather these other factors. I trust my ortho to use the treatment option that she believes will give me the best result. I did some research before I made my final choice, but Damon's marketing didn't have any bearing in my decision. I'm about halfway through my treatment, and I'm amazed at how much my teeth have changed. They are no longer crowded, and my bite - well it was open, and now I can actually take a bite of a sandwich with my front teeth! :D It has been a mostly pain-free experience, and I do like the fact that my adjustments have been 8 to 10 weeks apart. I'm very pleased so far. If you're looking into them, think about the reasons why & do your research - don't just look at their slick website. :D
Great post. This embodies the way treatment should be approached from the consumer perspective. Virtually any of the "big name" companies provide brackets that will do the job. Problems may arise when both doctors and patients simply accept the marketing of a company with a vested interest. Of note, 8-10 week adjustments are not unique to Damon.

As you've alluded to, it's the diagnosis and treatment planning, as well as your comfort and communication with the orthodontist that make most of the difference. Good luck the rest of the way!
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8