Newbie here...I've been sentenced.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lioness

Newbie here...I've been sentenced.

#1 Post by Lioness »

Hey everyone. I am a 26 yr old female who finally did it!

I've actually needed braces since I was a little girl (and begged my mother and stepfather for them) to no avail. I try not to be resentful of my mother (they have since divorced) but I must admit, it is hard sometimes.

Anywho, its funny because I have always been told that I had a beautiful smile

ex:

but, my smile was deceiving as my bottom teeth are severely crooked.

I am now a teacher and have pretty good insurance, so I finally said "why not?" At first, I was not trying to hear about anything except invisalign. Unfortunately, that bubble received a needle after I was told by more than one O that it would not give me ideal results. Next on my list was lingual. Unfortunately, with my overbite, my bottom teeth was knock against the brackets.

So it was pretty much between metal or ceramic. I opted for ceramic uppers (lowers have to be metal)

my first day with braces

picture of my top arch

a better shot showing how crooked my bottom teeth are...I'm supposed to get my lower right central incisor extracted, but I'm not sure which tooth that is.

For the most part, I can eat the foods I ate before and fortunately, I haven't felt the unbelievable pain that so many have described. However, I certainly can't bite into sandwiches, chicken, etc. My bite is starting to feel different already.

I gotta tell ya though, although it has only been a few days, I personally hate this. HATE HATE HATE. My lips are swollen and rough and I don't feel pretty at all :cry:. Even though it is more money, I am seriously thinking about switching to lingual uppers once my metal lowers go in a few months from now.

A year and a half to two years sounds like such a long time...but I know in the end, it will be worth it.
Uppers: August 13th, 2009 (no spacers)
Lowers: October 13th, 2009 (following one extraction October 9th, 2009) with elastics
Sentence:18-24 months
Hoping for an early release (good behavior)

sisi

#2 Post by sisi »

Hi there

Welcome! I think your brackets look great - what type are they?

Are you sure you will need your uppers for 18 months? Your upper teeth look like they need very little work. I have crowding and I have been sentenced to 6 - 9 months for my upper teeth (18 months for the lowers). I know every treatment plan is different - but maybe you could check with your ortho whether you could have less treatment time for your upper teeth?

I know the HATE HATE HATE feeling - we all have really rough days with them. Other times it's not so bad. I try to keep it in perspective and remind myself that time flies and it will be over and a distant memory before you know it.

amandajane

Newbie here...I've been sentenced

#3 Post by amandajane »

Good luck! It's really hard, don't forget to eat very soft foods! Okay!

lfwood

#4 Post by lfwood »

Congratulations on taking that first step. The time will fly by and your teeth will be super fantastic before you know it. :D

Braces 1st time 1986-1989
Braces 2nd time - January 2009
Lower Jaw Surgery (Advance)- January 14 2010

bluegirl

#5 Post by bluegirl »

Congrats on your big step. Two weeks ago I got braces so I am new to all of this as well. I was really nervous and stressed about the whole experience - going in every 6 weeks, the money (I'm also a teacher but my insurance won't pay! boo!), pain, and mainly how they'd look. It does seem to get a little better with time. My braces don't hurt at all. My teeth were a little sensitive the first week but that was it. I have yet to use any wax. The most annoying thing is the whole cleaning your teeth after eating...takes so much longer than before! I also HATE the way they look (also have ceramic on top, metal on bottom.) I had a hard time leaving the house the first week. Each day, I get slightly more comfortable just being myself. Everyone has been very supportive so that's helpful. I still can't stand the sight of them but I figure these puppies aren't coming off for a while so I need to just suck it up. It will be okay! Everyone says it's worth it...they better be right! :D
Braces (uppers & lowers) on: 8/3/09
Sentence: 2 years

lovelyleo

#6 Post by lovelyleo »

Good luck. Seriously the time flies by so fast you will be at the one year mark before you know it. You have pretty teeth already so your smile will be BEAUTIFUL when all is said and done.

Debrace DAY Monday June 14th!!!!
24-30 month estimated treatment time

SpicyOrleanian

#7 Post by SpicyOrleanian »

I decided to get all metal, and still comfortable w/ my decision...I just kept saying "I can't believe I got braces" b/c it was still such a shock.

Don't get the linguals, b/c as time goes on you become very comfortable w/ the way you look, at first I didn't want anyone to look so I began talking w/ my lip over my teeth :roll: (weird, but I'm self conscience).

Anyway, as you know the saying goes "It will be all worth it in the end".

Lioness

#8 Post by Lioness »

Thank you for all the nice replies :D

Its now almost a full week with them on...lips are still prone to dryness, jaws feel weird (and it still feels a little funny to smile) but overall it is getting better. Once the school year starts, I know these things will be an afterthought :lol:

Please don't get my hopes up about getting the uppers off early, that is what I'm sooooooo hoping for. My first adjustment is in 3 and a half weeks and I'm definitely going to ask about that. Honestly, not sure what brand they are...I guess I still have a lot to learn

a few people have told me that I look younger with them on and it brings a new "cuteness" to me 8)
Uppers: August 13th, 2009 (no spacers)
Lowers: October 13th, 2009 (following one extraction October 9th, 2009) with elastics
Sentence:18-24 months
Hoping for an early release (good behavior)

MrMetalMouth1029

#9 Post by MrMetalMouth1029 »

You've received some really good insight. With time, you'll forget they're even there...you'll be amazed at that transformation! Your teeth will feel different, and if you're like me, you'll annoy your partner because you'll look in the mirror every other day and ask how differently your smile is :) Best of luck and welcome aboard!
Braced (upper and lower): 10/29/08
Debraced: 3/17/10
Now sportin' a permanent bottom retainer
Alternate clear retainers every 12 hours

Pommard

11 weeks in

#10 Post by Pommard »

I'm 11 weeks into my treatment. I have got ceramic brackets and have had one "tightening" session so far - next one due early September. Apart from about 1 week's discomfort after treatment/tightening I have to say this is not as painful as my pupils at school intimated. I certainly didn't need a day off - a trick they pull.

The kids at school (girls, 14-19) were all very sympathetic - even those I did not teach came up to ask how I was doing! I use the past tense because I am moving to a new school in September (mixed, same age range) so I am a bit nervous. Impressive opening gambit: "Hello, I'm your new form tutor and my name is Mithus Eth... " But, I will do what I did with my last lot of kids and tell them straight. If they want to make a big deal of it, well - I'll have the last laugh.

The one thing that is a constant source of annoyance is the permanent lisp I have developed. Again, not as serious as when I was first fitted and after my first tightening session, but my appliance has a plate and I have a feeling my lisp will be with me always.

Talking becomes difficult when I am trying to explain something complicated and I have to have a drink with me all the time; my dry mouth makes my upper lip stick to my brackets. So elegant! But a source of amusement for the kids, and me.

So - there we are. Onwards and upwards. As Churchill used to say: KBO!

:D

bluegirl

#11 Post by bluegirl »

SpicyOrleanian wrote:...at first I didn't want anyone to look so I began talking w/ my lip over my teeth :roll: (weird, but I'm self conscience).
LOL sometimes I do this. I need to get over the whole embarassment aspect of braces because I think I actually cause more attention to them when I try to hide them!

Ugh. My sis keeps saying "Who cares what other people think!!" - I'm hoping to adopt this philosophy soon! ...any day now would be great. :wink:
Braces (uppers & lowers) on: 8/3/09
Sentence: 2 years

sniffer

#12 Post by sniffer »

Good Luck on your journey