Would you be happy with this end result? (Pics. included)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lavender

Would you be happy with this end result? (Pics. included)

#1 Post by Lavender »

I've been on this journey since Nov. 2004 when I started with Invisalign. When that didn't work I had braces put on. My top braces (which I still have) were put on in April 2006. My bottom braces were put on in Dec. 2006 and removed in April 2009. My ortho mentioned at my appointment today that they should be coming off sometime next month.
Don't get me wrong... I'm more than ready to have naked teeth. I mean 4 yrs. and 8 months is a LONG time!
I'm just not at all happy with what they look like. When I've mentioned this to him he says "well, they're not gonna be perfect." I'm not looking for perfection, but I'd like them to look the best they can. I'm just not happy at all at the thought of having gone through this for so long to have the end result be this. I am more disappointed than I can even express. Would you be happy with this end result?

Here are the problems I see: my bite has opened since my bottom braces came off. You can see it in this pic.

In this pic. the left front tooth (my right) looks wrong to me. I know it's not level at the bottom, he's gonna reshape both of them when the braces come off, but will that make it look correct or is it something else too?

The next 2 pics. are side views and it looks like my top teeth aren't aligned correctly with my bottom teeth. Also my open bite is apparent here as well. My left side.

My right side.

All metal

Lavender

#2 Post by Lavender »

I was hoping to get some opinions as to what everyone thinks.

All metal

Megan11

#3 Post by Megan11 »

It's hard to tell in these pictures, but if I were in the same situation as yourself I would most definitely get a second opinion. They don't look bad but they don't look like 3 years of orthodontics, perfect teeth either. BUT, when he re-shapens that front tooth it might make a world of difference. I don't know if its the way your holding your teeth but it almost looks like you have a slight underbite, or maybe it's more of a crossbite I'm not sure but something about your bite seems off. Your alignment however looks good to my untrained eye.

Damon 3's
First 6 Clear/Metal

starzz

#4 Post by starzz »

I see a bit of open bite on your sides. Do you have pics from when bottoms came off to compare? On your top front tooth, consider adding some bonding on the corner. It depends how much you want filed off. It's hard to tell in the pic, but you obviously want the top front teeth aligned so one is not rotated compared to other. Also that tooth looks like it might be higher up in the gum, but it could just be the gum (but not the tooth) is at a different height or my eye could be fooled by issues on the bottom. I hope you are finished soon!! :shock:
Braced for 2 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 5 days (the 2nd time ‘round)
Hawley on top, Essix on bottom

Lavender

#5 Post by Lavender »

Megan11 wrote:It's hard to tell in these pictures, but if I were in the same situation as yourself I would most definitely get a second opinion. They don't look bad but they don't look like 3 years of orthodontics, perfect teeth either. BUT, when he re-shapens that front tooth it might make a world of difference. I don't know if its the way your holding your teeth but it almost looks like you have a slight underbite, or maybe it's more of a crossbite I'm not sure but something about your bite seems off. Your alignment however looks good to my untrained eye.

You made reference to the way I'm holding my teeth. Actually the pics. show what they look like when I put my teeth together. I agree that they don't look like I think they should for such a long time in braces.

All metal

Lavender

#6 Post by Lavender »

DaveInTexas wrote:Doesn't look too bad to me.
The major issue is that right front upper...the occlusal surface (bottom, cutting part) is not level.
I bet if that can be fixed up (Ive heard of grinding and filling) then it will be pretty good!
I agree that when he fixes the bottom of that tooth that it should look a lot better. I think though that that tooth looks wrong, as if it needs to be rotated more or something. I'm not liking the side views either. I don't like the gaps and the open bite is really bothering me.

All metal

Lavender

#7 Post by Lavender »

starzz wrote:I see a bit of open bite on your sides. Do you have pics from when bottoms came off to compare? On your top front tooth, consider adding some bonding on the corner. It depends how much you want filed off. It's hard to tell in the pic, but you obviously want the top front teeth aligned so one is not rotated compared to other. Also that tooth looks like it might be higher up in the gum, but it could just be the gum (but not the tooth) is at a different height or my eye could be fooled by issues on the bottom. I hope you are finished soon!! :shock:

Unfortunately I don't have pics. of right after the bottoms came off. I just know that I don't like the open bite look. To me it makes my bottom teeth look longer. My tops should be further down over my bottom teeth.
I too, have come to the same conclusion that it looks like that one front tooth should be rotated more and that it looks further up in the gum than the other.

All metal

Lavender

#8 Post by Lavender »

I'm just not even sure how to approach my ortho. about my concerns. As everytime I've mentioned anything that I thought wasn't right, he immediately gets an attitude. He acts like I'm just complaing for no reason. He's even said a couple of times that he doesn't see the different things that I've pointed out to him. I've felt for sometime now that at each appointment nothing would've been done other than the changing of my ligs. if I hadn't pointed out different things. At so many different appointments that was litterally all that was done and I think that has contributed to the LONG amount of time that I've been in the braces. I feel as if he needs someone to tell him how to do his job each time.
Another concern I've had since the beginning has been the appointment schedule. I started out going every 4 wks. For the past year and 1/2 I've been going every 2 wks. When he first started that schedule I asked him about it and was told it was because we were nearing the end. Well, does "the end" take 1 1/2 yrs to get things correct?
I'm just so frustrated at this whole thing. I wish I'd never even decided to get braces. :(
My teeth look worse now that when I started this process. Aren't they supposed to look better? I didn't have an open bite before braces....

All metal

starzz

#9 Post by starzz »

Consider getting an opinion from another ortho.
Why were bottoms removed?
Braced for 2 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 5 days (the 2nd time ‘round)
Hawley on top, Essix on bottom

Lavender

#10 Post by Lavender »

starzz wrote:Consider getting an opinion from another ortho.
Why were bottoms removed?

He removed the bottoms because he said they were done and looked good. Unfortunately from my understanding, without the bottom braces my open bite can't be fixed now. :cry:

All metal

shinyam

#11 Post by shinyam »

Honestly, I wouldn't be too happy either, for the reasons you mentioned. Maybe you should see another ortho to see if the open bite can be fixed.

Your front tooth is definitely not level. It seems very crooked.

I think your teeth will look great when the ortho levels your front teeth, and maybe you should consider getting your teeth whitened.