First meal after braces

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jesspenguin

First meal after braces

#1 Post by jesspenguin »

So, my braces are supposed to come off tomorrow morning around 7am. I've been thinking for a long time about what I want to eat that I haven't been able to with braces. Most things I've managed to eat just fine, usually by cutting them into little pieces, but there is one thing that I decided I would just wait for until I could eat it properly. And that's a sub sandwich from Publix (a grocery chain in the southeast US).

I'm curious, for those of you who have your braces off already, what was the first thing you had to eat after you got them off?

For those of you who've yet to be free from braces, what are you excited to be able to eat once you get them off?
Time spent in braces: 16 months
Retainers: Top/bottom bonded and top/bottom Essix at night

mannab271

#2 Post by mannab271 »

Hmmm.. my first meal. Was Subway. It was lunch. And I ate a footlong in like what seemed to be 5 minutes. I just went right back to normal. for days I would move my tongue around my molars looking to "clean" my brackets..and kept having to remind myself there's nothing there.

I'm 1 month post braces and I'm still reminding myself I dont have to look in a mirror after I eat...there's nothing stuck there!!

jesspenguin

#3 Post by jesspenguin »

I've had only brackets (no wires, ligs) for the last week since I got my permanent retainers. It's strange how things don't get caught nearly as much, and it's going to be really odd when there's nothing there at all. Now that I've had a taste of how great it is to brush/floss with no wires, I can't wait to be free of brackets as well.
Time spent in braces: 16 months
Retainers: Top/bottom bonded and top/bottom Essix at night

Zeppguy73

#4 Post by Zeppguy73 »

I just got done having pizza, and I got my braces off this morning.

kahootz

#5 Post by kahootz »

I don't have my braces off yet, but the first "meal" I want is some movie theatre popcorn!

Mesha

#6 Post by Mesha »

I get mine off on Monday, and I can not wait for a Snickers!!!!!!

britt

#7 Post by britt »

ive been lucky, mine are coming off but ive only not been able to eat, apples, sweetcorn on the cob, crusty bread, and panini type things. and gum of course.

im going to have gum!

vrthurston

#8 Post by vrthurston »

I got mine off last Friday (7/10) and the first thing I ate was Swedish Fish. For dinner I had corn on the cob (oh so yummy and highly missed for 2+ years). Got my Hawley's this afternoon and so far am not enjoying them. :?

scrabblemlhook

#9 Post by scrabblemlhook »

eating an apple the old fashioned way by chomping into it, especially a Macoun or HoneyCrisp Apple will be one of the first things

I am only 10 months into this 2.5+ year journey.

Jay Tea

#10 Post by Jay Tea »

I have ibraces (linguals) and I can eat pretty much anything I want, I have never had to break food up into small pieces. Subs, burgers you name it. :D not sure why it is different with braces at the front. The only foods that I eat carefully are like nuts and anything really hard.

Dutch

#11 Post by Dutch »

I went in yesterday thinking my braces were coming off and was so ready for some sweet corn on the cob .............. But NO Doc said lets go another 8 weeks :cry: Started this 10 month journey 19 months ago and still waiting... it will be worth it. Hope corn is still in season when Im out

KimC

#12 Post by KimC »

The thing I am looking forward to the most is caramel. It is my biggest weakness and it has been too long.

jenny101101

#13 Post by jenny101101 »

The first thing I ate was a chocolate bar with nuts!! I missed nuts so bad, even though I tried to eat a few...not easy! haha

My first meal was pizza. I ate pizza while braced but it was nice to just bite into it without any resistance or getting crust stuck everywhere.

I just got my braces off 3 days ago, got my retainers 2 days ago so my teeth have been a bit achy just getting used to the retainers but, before the summers over, I plan to eat corn on the cob!! Yummy! :D
Keep smilin'! :)
Jenny

Braced for 18 months: Damon 3mx all around with Damon 3's on "social six". Now is Essix retainers for 10 hours/night.

laurahalvey

#14 Post by laurahalvey »

Caramel apples, sweetcorn on the cob, and cashews. Not necessarily in that order.
Braced for the third time.....

final adjustment 8/21 and debanding 8/27!

xnicole

Re: First meal after braces

#15 Post by xnicole »

jesspenguin wrote: I'm curious, for those of you who have your braces off already, what was the first thing you had to eat after you got them off?
I had an apple and Subway (:
for days I would move my tongue around my molars looking to "clean" my brackets..and kept having to remind myself there's nothing there.
I did the same thing!
Yes, I look froward to my orthodontist appointments :D