IMPACTED CANINES CLUB

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Tweetin

#46 Post by Tweetin »

It took about 7-8 months for it to come into the arch properly and be bracketed with the rest of them. Mine was pretty far back and they weren't sure if it would respond at all though. They tell me age plays a part in how fast they'll move through the bone(I'm 30).

Fortunately there was alot of progress in all my teeth during that time because I think just waiting on that one tooth would have driven me crazy!

It really varies person to person, hopefully yours will move fast!

rolo

#47 Post by rolo »

Mine took 6 months from exposure to lingual bracket fitting at that stage the tooth only had to move down 2mm - I had the chain and bracket placed in surgery reomved and a temporary lingual bracket after three months. it's been 9 months since surgery and the tooth is just being aligned with the others now.

I had a temporary tooth (flipper?) attached to the premolar behind the canine tooth to cover the gap, that stayed for quite a while - so maybe that's something to ask your ortho about if you are worried re having a gap.

Pain - I had the procedure done under local, the needle was no worse than for a filling or extraction. No pain after, it was less traumatic than an extraction, although I guess technically you would need to have someone who had done the procedure before.

Good luck

ngarner0717

#48 Post by ngarner0717 »

Hey yall!!!!! So I feel pretty relieved I'm not the only one with this issue. I have one impacted canine. I got my braces on a year ago and I got my chain attached to the canine back in february. However, I have gone thru 2 chains and the last one broke after my ortho appt on thursday. I was so upset I almost cried. For some reason after the 2nd or 3rd month they feel they need to break. I have got the worst dental insurance and I can't afford to pay another 700 to have another chain put on. I go to the oral surgeon on thursday and hopefully he will attach it again at no cost to myself since I've already paid 1400 to his office. If not does anyone else know what I can do? I can't stand having this giant gap in my mouth.

Ashley

#49 Post by Ashley »

Im in the club too. Right canine fully impacted.. took about 6 months to pull down and get into place. Good drugs for this:)

nessness

#50 Post by nessness »

I'm also in the club :(...

My mum took me to the hospital where she works last month because the gum where the tooth hasn't erupted is always very very sore, plus the baby tooth still there is so sensitive.
My front teeth also stick out quite a bit, so was kinda glad that braces was an option to be honest, I'm actually one of those unusual people looking forward to braces...because naturally i always smile, and i'm very bubbly, so to be able to do that and have a perfect smile is like a dream to me.

The only thing that scares me is the procedure. So basically they told me I would have to extract 4 of my teeth to make room...4 healthy teeth I might add so was slightly freaked out. To make it even worse one of my wisdom teeth is growing towards the teeth, so horizontally as oppose to straight up. I'm guessing nothing can be done but extraction for that. So in total thats 6 teeth that will be taken (wisdom, Baby, and the four)

Now...I've never had anything wrong with me, so kinda scared about this exposure surgery. I'm good with pain...but just scared about the actual procedure that will take place.
I'm not sure what sages will be taken...So does anyone have an insight as to the exact procedure for this kind of thing? Because it would ease my mind knowing the procedures. I basically have another appointment with the hospital in November, and theyve told me what's going to happen but not a precise breakdown.

I basically am eligible for it to be done by the NHS at Guy's Hospital in England, so kind of glad because us Uni students are literally almost broke! NHS is slow, but anything that saves me money I'm up for it! :p
And to think...it's 2% of the population that goes through this :(

ngarner0717

#51 Post by ngarner0717 »

Ok so after the 3rd chain was put on not less than 2 weeks later it came off again. I'm so frusterated. And the ortho didn't put as much pressure on the new chain as he has on the last ones. I don't understand why this is becomming so difficult for me. I think I'm just going to talk to my ortho and find another alternative.

TerriD

#52 Post by TerriD »

I'm 40 and have an impacted canine that will have to be extracted and I'm not very happy about it.

MetalFate

#53 Post by MetalFate »

I have an impacted canine that is lying horizontal on my right side. It is spread across the length of nearly three teeth in the gumline. I'm not sure what the little teeth are that are against the front teeth, but suffice it to say that Nature only gave me a baby teeth style for those: no permanents. I am 30 years old and I have successfully avoided braces my whole life but now it is my fate to be affixed with metal to fix my dental problem. I haven't been told this, but I know that is what has to be done. The problem I am suffering from right now is that the canine in pushing the little tooth on the right back as it tries to make room, and it is hurting with sensitivity and it's making that little tooth loose. The baby tooth canine remains strong and I have no pain with it, just that small tooth.

From what my dentist told me 6 months or more ago is that an oral surgeon will come in and pull two of my teeth the little tooth and baby canine and "attach a small wire and bring it down into place" it sounds rather painful and cheapening of my appearance. The tooth that is beside the canine (baby) isn't straight and it pushed back from the other teeth, so that when I get these two teeth pulled the space will stretch three teeth across of my right side. Ugh...

I have misgivings and apprehension about it just like about getting my 4 wisdom teeth out that have on the top come in fully and the bottom only halfway. Wisdom teeth aside, this canine problem that will force me to get braces will I fear turn me into an introvert and jeopardize my college experience with perpetual shyness. :(

I should be too old for this kind of fear, but I still don't know how I will be and how I will get used to that metal mouth staring at me as a freshman in college... :?:

Breezzy

#54 Post by Breezzy »

ngarner0717 wrote:Hey yall!!!!! So I feel pretty relieved I'm not the only one with this issue. I have one impacted canine. I got my braces on a year ago and I got my chain attached to the canine back in february. However, I have gone thru 2 chains and the last one broke after my ortho appt on thursday. I was so upset I almost cried. For some reason after the 2nd or 3rd month they feel they need to break. I have got the worst dental insurance and I can't afford to pay another 700 to have another chain put on. I go to the oral surgeon on thursday and hopefully he will attach it again at no cost to myself since I've already paid 1400 to his office. If not does anyone else know what I can do? I can't stand having this giant gap in my mouth.
I am in the same boat as you ngarner0717. My chain came off Sept 30th and my oral surgeon told me today that I will have to have the surgery done all over again to reexpose the canine. I had my first surgery in May of this year. I am wondering if I really want to go through this again or not. :(

ngarner0717

#55 Post by ngarner0717 »

Yeah I had it done again for the 3rd time and it fell off less than 2 weeks later. So I'm done. It's such a pain and I don't have the money to pay for the surgery again. I see my ortho on Thurs to give him the great news lol. I guess I'm going to have to get a implant or a bridge done at the end of my treatment now. At this rate I'm going to have a $15,000.00 smile at the end of it all.

rolo

#56 Post by rolo »

I have had an impacted canine tooth treated, it's fully down and I have 6-9 mths of treatment left. I'm also missing lateral incisors, so would have had a gap from front tooth to 1st premolar. It took 9 mths from exposure to being fully down and another 6-9mths to derotate into the correct position. There is no need to go round with a gap though, they can fill it with a temporary fake tooth. I have heard it being referred to as a flipper. I had this and lingual braces, and whilst it didn't look as good as the tooth that's now there, you wouldn't have known it wasn't a real tooth unless you were a dentist looking inside my mouth. Nobody actually realised I have braces on my top teeth. So if anyone is self conscious about having a gap, ask your ortho to put a temporary tooth in there.

ngarner0717

#57 Post by ngarner0717 »

So after my 3rd chain came off my ortho wants me to go back to the oral surgeon. So I have an appt on Fri. But I'm hoping the Oral surgeon will do the surgery at no charge since I have already paid for 3 of them. If not I don't have the money for another one so the ortho will have to come up with a new plan of attack. Right now I'm really wondering if this is all worth it :(.

rolo

#58 Post by rolo »

Ngarner, I had an option to leave the tooth exposed, they kind of roll the gum up over it and then it comes down with the tooth, at least if they did that reattachement of a button wouldn't require more surgery. We didn't go for that option in the end, but I would have done if the chain had come off - three times, that's rotten!

ngarner0717

#59 Post by ngarner0717 »

Yeah my ortho suggested that if its possible. I am going to bring it up with my oral surgeon on friday.

holly0841

Impacted Canine

#60 Post by holly0841 »

I just had another exposure surgery done last week after my chain broke. The surgeon flapped up the gum and put on the bracket and chain and sutured it. I was afraid the tooth had become ankylosed since it was not moving and caused the bracket and chain to come off. The surgeon did what he could to get it to move and it appears as though it may come in this time. I had both exposed in march and my right canine is completely in now, just gotta get that left going. Good luck, I know what your going through!
Braced 3/11/08 Uppers
Braced 11/08 Lowers
2 Impacted Canines
Surgery 03/06/09 for exposure of teeth # 6 & #11