I am on the other side, but it was a close shot

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

2bpositive

#16 Post by 2bpositive »

You are so positive what a great attitude and so brave! You just gave me some inspiration.
You look great and you can see the difference. Can not believe in just 11 days you look this good.

Twinjoy

#17 Post by Twinjoy »

I am surprised to know I was so close to being in the same position you were in. I lost almost 1 liter during surgery and at least another half after surgery (throwing up). I still only spent one day in the hospital and didn't get a transfusion. I guess the extreme blood loss effect everyone different! The surgeon was very surprised that I lost that much surgery and he estimated I would only loss 200cc's or so.

Glad you made it through and your before and after photos look amazing. You and your surgeon should be proud!

DotCat

#18 Post by DotCat »

Twinjoy wrote:I am surprised to know I was so close to being in the same position you were in. I lost almost 1 liter during surgery and at least another half after surgery (throwing up). I still only spent one day in the hospital and didn't get a transfusion. I guess the extreme blood loss effect everyone different! The surgeon was very surprised that I lost that much surgery and he estimated I would only loss 200cc's or so.

Glad you made it through and your before and after photos look amazing. You and your surgeon should be proud!
That is strange. I remember them doing blood tests on me every hour or so (when I woke up, I had already 3 "holes" from fresh bloodtaking on my arms) and were creeping out that my red blood cell levels are extremely low. I also remember major heartache and they told me it will get better after the transfusion, which really did become much better.

Maybe you have a bigger body (more blood) than I do? I am around 162 cm and 60 kg, usually slightly anemic with very slow metabolism.
Crouzon syndrome with midface hypoplasia and class III

SARPE, 7mm expansion - 14th September 2007
Lower braces on from 15th November 2007
Upper braces on from 17th January 2008
Hyrax RPE removed - 20th March 2008
Le Fort I advancement - 1st June 2009 (with major surgical complications)
Braces off from 25th March 2010, retainers on from 29th March 2010.

ONLY 1 SURGERY TO GO! ^_____^

DotCat

#19 Post by DotCat »

For a quick update:

The positive side: My swelling is getting better and I am starting to be able to move my upper lip a little (still no feeling there though). As my ortho instructed me, I am changing my rubber bands and exercising every day. I was able to open my mouth to about 1 cm (1 finger?) and since it just invited me, I cleaned my teeth properly with a tiny brush. My tongue was a mess, so I spent some extra time cleaning it and now my mouth does not feel furry at all.

Now for the negative: I had higher temperature today and my throat is quite sore on one spot behind the end of the upper jaw, basically where throat, pallate and nasal cavity meet. My throat/jaw has been sore for few days already and when I was gurgling some mouthwash or chamomille tea, I realised there was blood coming out. :( I am suspecting one of the internal stitches. There seemed to be some puss as well today morning, but multiple intensive gurgling with mouthwash and anti-inflamatory herbal teas seem to have an effect on it and there are only tiny bits of blood now. The problem is - it still hurts quite a lot, a very sharp pain similar to sore throat with flu but only on one side. :cry:

On top of that, my surgeons seem to have lost one of my surgical hooks after it broke off during the surgery. I am really really hoping it is not stuck somewhere in my throat and causing the trouble. :shock:

My next appointment with my surgeon and my ortho as well should be thursday the 18th, but if things do not get better, I will have to travel to them sooner.

Oh and just to remind you once again... I LOVE MY NEW FACE, LOL :lol:

PJ

#20 Post by PJ »

Wow, Dotcat! Nothing has been easy for you. I hope you stay on top of that pus/bleeding. Infections after surgery are nothing to take lightly. You might want to call the surgeon and ask if they can give you some antibiotics. Or are you on them already? Anyway, I sure hope it all clears up soon. I am really glad you love your new look. :D

Twinjoy

#21 Post by Twinjoy »

I am not good with the conversion...maybe you are better. I am 65 inch and weigh 150lbs. But as we all know, everyones body reacts differently to these things. I am just thankful that I did not need a blood transfusion and thankful you have come through yours ok (even though there are still bumps in the road). I hope your recovery becomes smoother as time passes!

smile2006

#22 Post by smile2006 »

WOW....you look great! :D

bb

#23 Post by bb »

What a difference! Your profile is great!
I'm glad everthing worked out in the end.
I just love your cheeks!

teylix

#24 Post by teylix »

jesus j. hosofax.

i thought i had it bad because my throat was sore after surgery!! the puss part doesnt sound good =/ blood doesnt either if youre 2 weeks post op. i was spitting out blood for ~4-5 days or so.

but on the flip side, you really do look a lot better now. i bet you cant wait to where this is all behind you heh.
BSSO and Le Fort I surgery + nose straightening done on May 4th.
Current status: Waiting for braces to come off next week! (09/20)

DotCat

#25 Post by DotCat »

Some positive news: The puss/blood was an infected inner stitch or two and is now completely healed :) I have another major check-up tomorrow, but I think everything will be fine. (Except it will probably hurt like hell, because my docs are living medieval torture devices designed to punish heretics XD)

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#26 Post by blindboarder2008 »

perhaps they will take pity on you and be gentle with you due to you having surgery recently! let us know how it goes!
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

DotCat

#27 Post by DotCat »

Ok, I oficially LOVE having numb face and upper jaw, lol. My ortho had to re-do most of my front brackets which also involved moving the surgical wire up by holding it in pliers (clippers? what is the right words anyway?) and forcing it up while they were putting the torn brackets back under it.

The doc was very careful and always cheching if it does not hurt too much and was really shocked that I did not even wince much, so I explained that I am numb and the only pain I feel from it is when she yanks it too much and it hurts around my wound/healing bone.

In the end, it was not so bad, lol.

My surgeon claims that my feeling will come back in few weeks or months, because it is caused by a nerve pressed by the swelling.

DotCat

#28 Post by DotCat »

Ok, I oficially LOVE having numb face and upper jaw, lol. My ortho had to re-do most of my front brackets which also involved moving the surgical wire up by holding it in pliers (clippers? what is the right words anyway?) and forcing it up while they were putting the torn brackets back under it.

The doc was very careful and always cheching if it does not hurt too much and was really shocked that I did not even wince much, so I explained that I am numb and the only pain I feel from it is when she yanks it too much and it hurts around my wound/healing bone.

My surgeon claims that my feeling will come back in few weeks or months, because it is caused by a nerve pressed by the swelling.

DotCat

#29 Post by DotCat »

iBorg

#30 Post by iBorg »

DotCat:
The results are quite positive. Have you been asked the question yet, "Was it worth it?" I was asked that this week at my surgeon's office and didn't know what to say. I think once I get rid of the ##### numbness the answer will be yes. I'm sure we're both finding eating to be an adventure. Reminds me of a one-year old.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.