Request for early braces removal... advice? help?!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Temps75

Request for early braces removal... advice? help?!

#1 Post by Temps75 »

Hey all,

If you have read my Braces Story, you may know that I'm headed to study abroad in Italy for 9 months, on September 7. I've been wearing braces since September of 2008, and my teeth weren't bad to begin with.

I was given an 18-24 month sentence, and already I have noticed amazing changes. My orthodontist said there were just a couple of small gaps that he wants to fix before I go, and to fix my open bite in the back so I wouldn't have to wear elastics over there. He would then "tie" my braces down, so I would still be wearing them for 9 months, but they wouldn't be activated.

I have decided that I want to request to get them off before I go. I know a lot of your first responses will be "the orthodontist knows best," and yes, I agree with you, but I know what I am comfortable with, and this isn't something I'm comfortable with.

I'm not going to lie, one of the reasons is that I don't want to have braces in all of my pictures (and I take a lot of pictures). But that's probably not the most important reason. While I haven't broken anything yet, I have a feeling that somewhere along those nine months, I will probably break a bracket or something will come loose, and I won't know where to go, and there will be a language barrier. I don't want something happening that would mess up my teeth.

Another reason is that I tend to get cavities very easily. I take very good care of my teeth, but I just can't seem to avoid a cavity, at least once a year. I know braces make teeth more vulnerable to things like that, and with them sitting on my teeth for 9 months, not even doing anything, would give me more pain that worth I think.

Basically what I want to know is, what is a good way to go about requesting to get my braces off before I go? I have two more appointments scheduled, and then he said I would schedule one more before I go. How do I tell him that I absolutely do not want these anymore?

I've already asked him once, and he just said he wouldn't recommend it because of my bite, but he didn't say no. I just really want to be able to put my foot down on this. He's a very, very nice guy, and very understanding, and I don't want to hurt his feelings, but I also want him to know exactly what I'm feeling.

Any advice? My next appointment is June 25. Help!

amandajane

response

#2 Post by amandajane »

If I were in your shoes, I'd either suck it up and plan ahead for the trip to Italy and wear the braces like the doc says or if I know in my gut that my dental hygenie will get worse cause I couldn't find a dentist over there or whatever than I would just have them removed. It's up to you what are you capable of, can you plan ahead for all the obstacles that come with braces while on the trip. The trip is long and but it will probably fly by too.
I would go with your gut.

Smile!

Temps75

#3 Post by Temps75 »

Thanks, but I have already decided that I want them off. I've planned ahead for Italy, done research on orthodontists in the area of my school, and I haven't found much. Like I said, I just want some advice on how to ask him.

Megan11

#4 Post by Megan11 »

I am either getting an early release in August or switching over to Invisalign.

I was braced in Sept 08 also, and had an 18-24 estimate.

Everyone is telling me not to do it but I have made up my mind. I never got braces for cosmetic reasons. I do want my teeth to be 100% perfect because of all the money and time but I am happy with how they look and I don't care about a few imperfections here and there. Plus, my ortho told me I am functionally 100% right now.

I think it is really easy for other people to tell you to "stick it out", etc, but I don't think anyone would be happy about having braces that are not doing anything on their teeth for 9 months.

To get an early release you have to sign these forms stating that your ortho is not responsible for your teeth, i.e. shifting, leaning, gaps forming.

Also you will have to pay off the remainder of your balance at that time.

If I were you, I would ask if you could get them rebonded once you are back in the country.

Damon 3's
First 6 Clear/Metal

Megan11

#5 Post by Megan11 »

Sorry I forgot to add that you should tell him ASAP, that way you can decide together what things you want to finish and what things don't bother you as much.

Just tell him casually, " You know how I am going abroad in September, well, I have decided that I would like an early debonding. Would that be okay?"

Or something similar to that....

Good Luck

Damon 3's
First 6 Clear/Metal

Temps75

#6 Post by Temps75 »

Megan11 - Thanks so much for your advice! I'm glad to see somebody that knows what I'm going through.

How much extra would I be paying if I got them off and then put back on?

classII

#7 Post by classII »

Seems like such a waste of time and money when you are just about done :(

Surely you can work out better logistics?

Are you not coming back for Christmas in December?

If he does the final adjustment just before you go and say leave it on for 4 months or whatever, and then you will be 100% finished all round, isn't it worth coming back at that time to have them removed and the retainers put in. How much is an air ticket these days? 400 dollars? Compared to relapsing and re-doing the whole 5000 dollar story all over again a year two's time.

I suspect if you put on your thinking cap you could get 100% completetion even if it interfere's with a few months of your holiday 8)

Temps75

#8 Post by Temps75 »

I can't come back at all over that time period.

Folk Ballad

#9 Post by Folk Ballad »

I completely understand where you're coming from. I'll be studying abroad for 9 months as well and there is no way I'd want to deal with braces abroad (for the same reasons you listed).

In my case, my ortho knew way before I even set out on my ortho journey that I'd be going to Japan and that I wanted things done and over with before then, so he's working within the time frame I gave him. And honestly, even if things aren't 100% perfect by the time I leave, I'm going to ask him to take them off anyway.

Honestly, if you're happy with your teeth and the way your bite feels (and you're prepared to not get your complete money's worth), I would tell him ASAP that you want them off. I think if you just explain to him that you want them off before you leave and the reasons why (you'll be gone for a really long time, you're worried about the possibility of cavities, etc.) as well as ask him to do his best with what time you have left (perhaps set a debanding date a day or two before you leave?), he'll understand and will have to respect your decision. You're the patient, after all, and at the end of the day, he'll still get paid the full amount.

It sounds like your ortho's a decent guy, so I think as long as you tell him the next chance you have that you want your braces off sooner than proposed, he'll probably be okay with it. (And the sooner you tell him, the sooner he can make a gameplan to figure out what he can do in the adjusted treatment time span.)

Neptune

#10 Post by Neptune »

Hey katiathegreat, congratulations on your opportunity to study in Italy. I commend you for not letting braces get in your way and applying to a study abroad program. If I was in your situation, I'm sure I would have come to the same conclusion as you regarding my braces.

I see no need to remind you of the time/money/etc. that you've put into wearing braces so far -- you, your watch, and your wallet know the details. You don't need some stranger online to remind you of the obvious. As it stands, I totally understand the sacrifice your making so you can enjoy your Italy experience unencumbered.

I'd encourage you to talk to your orthodontist NOW. Why? Perhaps (just using my logic) he can get your teeth to a more "settled" configuration, something stable enough to last the nine months you'll be away. I would hate for you to tell him that you're leaving on your last appointment only to have your teeth settle in an uncomfortable manner. And it's not like you're cancelling your treatment...you're just going on an 9-month hiatus. Maybe when you bring your travel plans up to your doctor, you can discuss with him what will happen upon your return.

Nine months passes by so quickly! :)
08 Apr 2008 - Front teeth braced.
30 Aug 2010 - New bracket brand placed on upper four incisors.

Initial Ortho Sentence: 18-20 months.

TumbleDryLow

#11 Post by TumbleDryLow »

I'm pretty much going to echo what most have said here. If you are truly comfortable having your braces removed even though you still have bite issues then by all means have them removed. Your ortho does know best, but he cannot refuse to remove them if that is your wish. I'd call the office ASAP and make a one on one appointment with the doctor. As for how to tell him----just tell him you want them off and make it clear you know that your bite is not 100% perfect but you are OK with that. You will probably need to sign some kind of release exempting the doctor from any problems/issue you may have in the future due to (in the Dr's eyes) an incomplete treatment. Just know that if you do want them put on again in the future you may end up paying close to the full amount all over again. All that being said, I do understand your concerns having braces overseas for so long. Enjoy your trip.

Jim C

#12 Post by Jim C »

I'm going against the trend here but ...

I had braces when I was in high school (mid to late 70s) and by the time I graduated from Uni my bottom teeth had crossed over again. At 22, my ortho offered to fix them for free and I declined stating I'd enough metal in my mouth to last a lifetime. As the years went by the crowding got slowly worse so decided to get them fixed again.

If I can offer an older person's perspective, get the job done right the first time, wear your retainers religiously, and look after your teeth daily.

Braces are no picnic in your youth, but wait until you get older and really stand out in the professional world.

LilMissSmile

#13 Post by LilMissSmile »

Hi!
I dont really understand the reason why he is having you in them for another 9 months if they arent going to be doing anything???

If i was in your situation I would request them off, I take it that you are happy with your smile at this stage?
Also an essix retainer should do the same job as just a braces sitting there??
Just my opinion.....

Best of luck with your studies :)

LilMiss x
One way to forget your troubles is to wear a pair of tight stilettos! :D

kristi1003

#14 Post by kristi1003 »

maybe u could switch to invisalign. i know some of the orhtos for that give u all the trays u will need for the entire year or however long it takes to get your teeth straight. or just have them take them off and deal with your teeth not perfect. if u are happy with how they look then i would just get them off and live your life. if u still would like them straighter then get braces again when u are ready! hope everything works out. and remember u pay him...he works for u. so if u want them off he has to do that.

staceyr2

#15 Post by staceyr2 »

Congrats on your studies abroad! I sort of agree with most of the comments on here. You seem like you are determined to have them off, and it really doesn't make much sense to have them on for 9 months not doing anything. Like others have said, talk with him on your next visit. Let him know that you have done the research, and can not find an ortho and voice your concerns about breakages, cavities, etc. You just have to be brave and tell straight out that you want them off, maybe even ask if there is a removable alternative you can use for the 9 months, that may keep your teeth from going back or getting worse, so you can still get cavities filled and proper cleanings done while you are away. Also, you may be able to work out some sort of "on-hold" deal for the cost. Are you planning to resume treatment when you get back? I do kinda feel like if you just cold-turkey get them off, it may end up costing you double in the end, and your teeth could do some crazy stuff without something to control them. If you think photos with braces on is bad, imagine what the photos would look like if your teeth went mad? As we get older, it takes more to retain what we have had done to our teeth, they are loose now, and will not just stay put when the ortho takes the braces off, that is why we have to wear retainers for so long after "full" treatment.
staceyr2
(braced after age 30)
wearing metal self-ligating on both