Help! I threw out my retainer by accident!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

chillin-in-grilz

Help! I threw out my retainer by accident!

#1 Post by chillin-in-grilz »

Umm does it cost to replace?
Brace Free February 17th, 2009

Braces January 29, 2007

Audra

#2 Post by Audra »

I can't see it being free.

bbsadmin

#3 Post by bbsadmin »

Sorry to hear this bad news about your retainer. :cry:

Well, the average price is around $250, depending on your orthodontist and the lab he uses. And the type of retainer.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

chillin-in-grilz

#4 Post by chillin-in-grilz »

Probably more in Canadian

Braces January 29, 2007

newsboysgrl777

#5 Post by newsboysgrl777 »

againbrace wrote:OOPS! Best to get a replacement ASAP tho.
I agree. Although $250 IS a lot of money, it is FAR less than $4-6,000 for needing braces again later on down the road because you didn't wear your retainer. :-\

Good luck Chillin.

Andromeda

#6 Post by Andromeda »

Is the $250 the average price of a retainer in general or is it that cheap because most orthos maybe charge less for a replacement than your first one?? I am just curious because I get my braces off and retainers on Tuesday and I am being charged $650 for my Essix retainers. Is this abnormally high?

bbsadmin

#7 Post by bbsadmin »

Andromeda, that sounds high to me. Is that for only one set of retainers, or does it include potential replacement sets?

Here's why retainers are so expensive: most of them are made in outside labs. First there's the time and materials for taking the impressions of your teeth. Then, there is the fee charged to your orthodontist by the outside lab.

If your orthodontist makes his own Essix retainers, by all rights it SHOULD be cheaper than if he sent it out to get it done. Some orthodontists have the machinery and the trained staff to make Essix retainers in their offices, but many do not.

And...some orthodontists roll the retainer fee into the total cost of your treatment. I believe that's what mine did.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Andromeda

#8 Post by Andromeda »

Thanks Lynn. My ortho does make the retainers in office so he does not pay to have them sent out. I get my braces off and molds tomorrow and then go back a couple hours later to get the Essix. I don't know if it covers replacement sets... now I feel cheated at the price.

My retainer fee is separate from the total treatment cost. I paid up front for treatment and they said Id owe the $650 tomorrow (at the time of retention).

chillin-in-grilz

#9 Post by chillin-in-grilz »

I believe he makes them in the office. because when i needed to have it fixed, i gave it to them, then in a few mins i had it back with the adjustments. and i heard machernery going

Braces January 29, 2007

newsboysgrl777

#10 Post by newsboysgrl777 »

did you ever get the replacements???[/quote]

chillin-in-grilz

#11 Post by chillin-in-grilz »

No i have yet. i have an appointment in auguust. i cant in july cuz im out of town all month

Braces January 29, 2007