Braces came off today!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Steadfast

Braces came off today!

#1 Post by Steadfast »

So it's been 21 months, 1 week and 4 days for me but I've finally gotten there!

My teeth look great! I have a gap that wouldn't close on the lower left but that's no big deal. It's far enough back that most people won't notice it. I'm going to have to take some photos!

I've been given Essix retainers which I have to wear continuously for the next three weeks (barring eating and cleaning) and then for a minimum of 14 hrs a day after that.

Has anyone else had these? I have a few questions:

1. Is there a trick to getting them out? They go in easily enough but getting them out is a real chore! It's quite uncomfortable, involves a lot of drool and just seems to take forever to prise them off.

2. When they are off, do I soak them in water or should I just rinse them and leave them to dry?

3. I've read that some people soak them in diluted mouthwash overnight for cleansing. Is this recommended?

4. I know I shouldn't eat or drink hot drinks like tea when I'm wearing them, but can I drink cold drinks like Oasis, white wine or diet coke (I know I shouldn't drink fizzy drinks anyway but I do like a spot of rum and coke on the patio on these lovely summer evenings).

5. The ortho recommended retainer brite. Where can I buy this?

6. Is it possible to destroy them in your sleep? When I started wearing braces i noticed I developed a tendency to lock up my jaw in my sleep. I wasn't grinding but I'd wake up with my teeth clamped tightly together. Rather strange, really. Anyway, I'm concerned I'll bite through the plastic!

Ooo, that's a lot of questions! Why do I never think of these at the time? I guess I was too excited!

Oh, oh! I have the funniest lisp when I'm wearing them. My husband thought it was hysterical. He made me say 'space race' repeatedly but I stopped when he nearly crashed the car for laughing. I hope I don't adapt too quickly :p

Steadfast

#2 Post by Steadfast »

P.S I ate popcorn today. It was AMAZING.

ellen

#3 Post by ellen »

Congratulations, Steadfast! I just started braces (metal on bottom, Essix on top) 3 weeks and one day ago, so I have quite a while to go. It must be wonderful to smile and talk and be proud of your teeth!

I wear an Essix retainer on my top teeth and can answer some of your questions:
1 - to take off the retainer I use my fingers to press down on the back of each side of the retainer at the same time, pops off easily for me.
2- when I'm not wearing the retainer I just rinse it off and leave it to dry, either out on my sink at home or in its plastic container if I'm out of the house, which is most of the time
3- don't worry about soaking it overnight, because you'll be wearing it overnight.
4- I was advised against drinking any carbonated beverages like club soda because the bubbles will get caught inside the retainer and look really funny. This happens when I use mouthwash and then put the retainer on, so if I'm going out of the house, I towel off my front teeth before putting on the retainer. Also, you shouldn't drink anything but water when wearing the retainer because any other beverage will get between your teeth and the retainer and your teeth will bathe in sugary saliva. (Unfortunately, you will find that braces are easier when it comes to eating because you can eat whenever you want and not brush right away. With the Essix retainer I have to take it out before I eat and then brush my teeth before putting it back on. It's actually a great diet because I think long and hard before eating snacks and most of the time it's just not worth the effort)
5- I was given samples of retainer cleaner by my ortho, but I'm sure you can buy it in a drug store or Target or a place like that

Enjoy your beautiful smile!!!!!

Ellen

ellen

#4 Post by ellen »

Congratulations, Steadfast! I just started braces (metal on bottom, Essix on top) 3 weeks and one day ago, so I have quite a while to go. It must be wonderful to smile and talk and be proud of your teeth!

I wear an Essix retainer on my top teeth and can answer some of your questions:

1 - to take off the retainer I use my fingers to press down on the back of each side of the retainer at the same time, pops off easily for me.

2- when I'm not wearing the retainer I just rinse it off and leave it to dry, either on my sink counter at home or in its plastic container if I'm out of the house, which is most of the time

3- don't worry about soaking it overnight, because you'll be wearing it overnight. I brush my retainer when I brush and floss my teeth at home, so about twice a day. But I was told to use a different toothbrush than the one I use to brush my teeth, and not to use toothpaste which can be abrasive. I was told dishwashing liquid like Dawn is ok, but I use the fragrance-free liquid soap that I have in my bathroom. Seems to work.

4- I was advised against drinking any carbonated beverages like club soda because the bubbles will get caught inside the retainer and look really funny. This happens when I use mouthwash and then put the retainer on, so if I'm going out of the house, I towel off my front teeth before putting on the retainer. Also, you shouldn't drink anything but water when wearing the retainer because any other beverage will get between your teeth and the retainer and your teeth will bathe in sugary saliva. (Unfortunately, you will find that braces are easier when it comes to eating because you can eat whenever you want and not brush right away. With the Essix retainer I have to take it out before I eat and then brush my teeth before putting it back on. It's actually a great diet because I think long and hard before eating snacks and most of the time it's just not worth the effort). If you do drink something other than water, use a straw to funnel the liquid away from your teeth (another ortho suggestion)

5- I was given samples of retainer cleaner by my ortho, but I'm sure you can buy it in a drug store or Target or a place like that

6 - I haven't destroyed the Essix retainer yet, but I don't grind my teeth when I sleep. The back of the retainer behind my front teeth has gotten slightly scratched from the metal braces on my bottom teeth, but no one can see this so it doesn't bother me.

Enjoy your beautiful smile!!!!!

Ellen

Blossom

#5 Post by Blossom »

Wow, must be SO cool to have them off finally! I haven't even had my first adjustment yet.
*sigh*
YAY for you! :D
[/url]

newsboysgrl777

Re: Braces came off today!

#6 Post by newsboysgrl777 »

Steadfast wrote:So it's been 21 months, 1 week and 4 days for me but I've finally gotten there!

My teeth look great! I have a gap that wouldn't close on the lower left but that's no big deal. It's far enough back that most people won't notice it. I'm going to have to take some photos!

I've been given Essix retainers which I have to wear continuously for the next three weeks (barring eating and cleaning) and then for a minimum of 14 hrs a day after that.

Has anyone else had these? I have a few questions:

1. Is there a trick to getting them out? They go in easily enough but getting them out is a real chore! It's quite uncomfortable, involves a lot of drool and just seems to take forever to prise them off.

2. When they are off, do I soak them in water or should I just rinse them and leave them to dry?

3. I've read that some people soak them in diluted mouthwash overnight for cleansing. Is this recommended?

4. I know I shouldn't eat or drink hot drinks like tea when I'm wearing them, but can I drink cold drinks like Oasis, white wine or diet coke (I know I shouldn't drink fizzy drinks anyway but I do like a spot of rum and coke on the patio on these lovely summer evenings).

5. The ortho recommended retainer brite. Where can I buy this?

6. Is it possible to destroy them in your sleep? When I started wearing braces i noticed I developed a tendency to lock up my jaw in my sleep. I wasn't grinding but I'd wake up with my teeth clamped tightly together. Rather strange, really. Anyway, I'm concerned I'll bite through the plastic!

Ooo, that's a lot of questions! Why do I never think of these at the time? I guess I was too excited!

Oh, oh! I have the funniest lisp when I'm wearing them. My husband thought it was hysterical. He made me say 'space race' repeatedly but I stopped when he nearly crashed the car for laughing. I hope I don't adapt too quickly :p
Alas, I am still in braces and haven't even reached the year mark yet (but soon, though!!). However, I can answer question #5. :) http://www.dentakit.com/forclreandal.html (The woman who runs this site also runs that store, so you know you're in good hands :) ) Also, re: question #1 I'd read about some kind of 'tool' that people use to take out their invisalign, and isn't that essentially an essix retainer? Maybe try doing a search here on archwired? Got it!! Here it is... :) http://www.dentakit.com/rereto.html

And, lastly...CONGRATULATIONS!!! We'd LOVE to see some pics (before (during) and after!) PLEEEASE?!!

Steadfast

#7 Post by Steadfast »

Ah, thank you for all the answers!

I was given two sets of retainers (obviously my dentist has experience with people losing/breaking a set!) so it would be easy for me to have a set soaking while wearing the other. Still, they don't take a lot of cleaning, now that I've had some practise :)

funshine

#8 Post by funshine »

Congratulations! :D

browneyedgrl

#9 Post by browneyedgrl »

Congratulations!!! I got my braces off on the 2nd too!!! I have a lower bonded retainer and an upper hawley. The assistant told me to clean my retainer with the leftover toothpaste on the brush after I've cleaned my teeth and to soak it in half mouthwash/water.

B
Started the journey for the second time on January 10th 2008~Ceramic uppers and metal lowers. Removed on June 2nd 2009.

[/url]