what did you wish you had known prior to bracing?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

starzz

#16 Post by starzz »

Having worn braces previously as a teen, I thought I knew what to expect ... but I wish I would have known how much more sensitive adult teeth can be when moving.

I wish I would have known the estimated treatment time could be so far off the actual time, even when I was compliant and kept my apts, wore my elastics etc.

...that the painful dental cleaning I endured due to sensitive braced teeth could be helped by applying a gel to the teeth just prior to cleaning.

...that dark grey is the most subtle nonstaining color for ligs and powerchains.

As for the ceramics, I paid $300 extra for the top social six and would do it again. It makes me feel better about my appearance and willing to smile for any photos. True other people don't care about our teeth but the whole braces process is about doing this for myself.
Braced for 2 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 5 days (the 2nd time ‘round)
Hawley on top, Essix on bottom

sarahlynn

#17 Post by sarahlynn »

I'm day two into my spacers - I had no idea about these and they're still in for 6 more days. I'm more sore today than I was yesterday but have been able to eat ok today. After reading horror stories of spacers on here I hope that the pain doesn't worsen over the next 6 days!

amandajane

response

#18 Post by amandajane »

I wish I hadn't forgotten to eat soft foods. Once my braces were on I had a hunger attack, which means I eat alot.
Anyways my orthodontist was nice to me and let me set up payments,
a 722.50 twice as a down payment and only 289.00 every month after. The office is really nice, about helping me with my payments.

I didn't know this site existed, until 4 or 5 months into my treatment, oh well. I didn't realize people took pictures of the updated or in the works smile.

MrMetalMouth1029

#19 Post by MrMetalMouth1029 »

I wish I had eaten two years' worth of popcorn because I am craving it like crazy right now and I can't eat it!!! Well, I guess I could, but I'd be taking a big risk :P
Braced (upper and lower): 10/29/08
Debraced: 3/17/10
Now sportin' a permanent bottom retainer
Alternate clear retainers every 12 hours

Megan11

Re: response

#20 Post by Megan11 »

amandajane wrote:t and only 289.00 every month after. The office is really nice, about helping me with my payments.
$289 a month is being nice? :shock:
I dread my $134 lol

Damon 3's
First 6 Clear/Metal