how many teeth do you have left?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

888A

how many teeth do you have left?

#1 Post by 888A »

Hi, I've had my braces for almost 2 months now and last week I had 4 teeth (bicuspids) extracted. This left me with 24 teeth and I realized now that's below the average number of teeth.

I'm confident in my orthodontist's decision on extracting the teeth but there does seem to be large gaps now and I somehow can't see my teeth covering the entire gap. My top teeth were straight enough to be begin with so I'm wondering what's going to happen there. I have my first adjustment in a few weeks.

I'm glad I found this forum, it's very informative and nice to see folks my age (33) with braces.

amandajane

response

#2 Post by amandajane »

I have 28 teeth, I had 4 adult wisdom teeth out when I was a teenager. I have 14 on top, 14 on bottom.

ReneG

#3 Post by ReneG »

I also have 24 teeth left. All four wisdom teeth out, two premolars and two bicuspids.

Before having them out, I asked my ortho if I really needed to lose them. He said that 24 teeth in the right place would be more functional than 28 or more teeth in the wrong place. :D
My 2 year diet plan in progress: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=243462

10 Mar 2008: Braced - upper and lower
12 Jan 2010: BSSO (Advancement)
?? Jun 2010: 6th post-op appointment
30 Jun 2010: 6th post-op ortho appointment - debanding!!! :D
07 Jul 2010: Retainer day!

sdawdy

#4 Post by sdawdy »

I have 28. I didnt have to have any extractions as my wisdom teeth never even formed. Lucky me!!!!

SD

Megan11

#5 Post by Megan11 »

I am randomly missing a molar..... :(

Damon 3's
First 6 Clear/Metal

Wobblydeb

#6 Post by Wobblydeb »

28 - I am missing 4 molars. The possibility of going to 27 or 24 was raised, but I am trying to stick with the 28 for the time being (lots of interproximal reduction!)
Initial set: 31 upper / 17 lower
1st refinement: 14 upper / 10 lower
2nd refinement: 10 upper / 5 lower

Andromeda

#7 Post by Andromeda »

Well when I was 11 I had to have 2 adult molars removed due to cavities on the bottom arch. Then last year when I got braces I had to have two bicuspids removed on the top arch to make more room. I still have all my wisdom teeth. So that makes me missing 4 adult teeth - not sure how many we are supposed to have...

amandajane

response

#8 Post by amandajane »

I think that all adults have 32 supposedly, after the baby teeth fall out. Then some have wisdom teeth taken out or the wisdom teeth never appear. Which leaves minus 4 wisdom teeth which equals 28.

browneyedgrl

#9 Post by browneyedgrl »

I had my wisdom teeth removed 21 years ago. I have 28 left.

B
Started the journey for the second time on January 10th 2008~Ceramic uppers and metal lowers. Removed on June 2nd 2009.

[/url]

Skysi

#10 Post by Skysi »

24 teeth here.
4 wisdoms and 4 premolars are out.
on 20th March 2008

got them off 9th November 2011

(3 years 7 months 2 weeks 6 days)

embraces

#11 Post by embraces »

I have 24 now excluding my 2 lower wisdom teeth because they're going to eventually be removed.
I had 2 upper 4s (bicuspids) extracted for braces and mysteriously I'm missing 2 lower laterals.

Altogether without extractions I would have a total of 28 teeth including wisdom teeth.

What is the actual amount of teeth you're suppose to have anyways?

636chick

#12 Post by 636chick »

32 teeth none removed yet.

switchblades

#13 Post by switchblades »

28. Three wisdom teeth and a lower incisor. Not sure why I only had 3 wisdom teeth, but they were causing more trouble than most people have with 4. The incisor was growing in front of the rest of my teeth, and at 10 I had a teeny, tiny little mouth so they took it out.

mwic1985

#14 Post by mwic1985 »

I have all mine, although I'll be having 4 out next month (2 top/ 2bottom front, not sure which ones yet) ready for my braces. I also expect I will have to have my lower left wisdom tooth out at some point, as it's growing horizontally(!) it's occasionally sore, but my dentist says this would be a hospital job to have it removed and so best to leave it until it has to come out, not looking forward to that day.
--
Marc

Jewles

#15 Post by Jewles »

Im down to 24, I had all 4 wisdom teeth out a few years ago and another 4 bicuspids out just before I got my braces. I must've had a very crowded mouth when I had all 32!