My DATE is Coming Quick!!!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

iBorg

My DATE is Coming Quick!!!

#1 Post by iBorg »

I planned on this surgery being scheduled for June for some time. Then I called to set a date, expecting the last week of June. My surgeon had ONE date left, June 1. Mercy that's quick. That gave me less than three weeks to get organized for my recovery. During the three weeks I've tried to get a new Cubmaster, empty an office, perform major car customizing and get all the supplies to make my recovery as easy as possible. I have had two appointments with my ortho and two with my surgeon and his staff.

I've went from "Do I really WANT to do this" to "Let's light a torch to this rocket!" Using the info in the stickies I think I'll have most of the supplies before hand. My wife is being wonderfully helpful. We're trying to be very active, knowing that it will be a bit before I'm up to it and even longer before my lips are able to be as useful as we would both prefer. :oops:

My surgery is first thing Monday morning. It is both jaws moved forward 10mm and balancing of my jaws to eliminate a cant. I'm close to being as ready as anyone can be to spend 4-6 weeks with a splint and living on a liquid diet.

Keep pleasant thoughts for me.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#2 Post by blindboarder2008 »

best of luck to you iborg!!!! i'll be right behind you on tuesday minus the splint but wires for 6 weeks (elastics). Its coming up so quick. I seriouslly can't believe how fast its coming up and I had a few months to plan. I can't imagine how much harder it would be if you had less then a month to plan!!!!!!

We have pretty much everything just gotta pick up the protein powder and get out the blender and wash it out. We have a magic bullet here as well so my mom is going to try to use that as well!!

Best of luck to you and your recovery!!!
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

OzzysMom

#3 Post by OzzysMom »

Good luck and pleasant thoughts to both of you. I know you both have been around here a long time so I can understand how it must feel for you. Blessings and a quick recovery!
October 8, 2008 Lefort1(6mm impaction), BSSO, Genioplasty, Turbinectomies, Partial septoplasty, gum recontoring

PJ

#4 Post by PJ »

Good Luck to both of you! We'll all look forward to more of your comments when you get to the other side. :D

blindboarder2008

#5 Post by blindboarder2008 »

thank you ozzy mom and pj!! :D
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

ohmyjaw

#6 Post by ohmyjaw »

Yay! I'm so excited for you, having followed your story. I think you will be very happy that you decided to take the plunge. Best wishes for a smooth recovery.

Esoteric

#7 Post by Esoteric »

Here's to hoping you have a easy recovery :D
----Eric
SARPE survivor 9-3-08
Braced 10-15-08
Evil expander removed 3-21-09
Surgery Survivor Sept 09
Braces off July 13, 10

iBorg

#8 Post by iBorg »

Thanks so much for the positive thoughts. There is so much I want to get done before Monday that I know I won't get to. Today I went and bought supplies for recovery. Tonight I need to figure out what to get to eat. I've tried Boost and Ensure to see if I prefer either one. The answer is no. Both have made my stomach queasy although the Ensure was by far the better taste.

Mike
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009

Audra

#9 Post by Audra »

I find that Boost and Ensure make me queasy too.... wayyyy too much sugar in them.

Go find yourself a really good quality meal replacement shake. Muscle Milk or Mega Shake are both good and they are high calorie and have a higher fat content (but it is good fat). 2 scoops is about 350 calories and they are REALLY tasty. They mix well with either water or milk for a healthy, filling and nutritious shake. They also taste great with frozen fruit added and if you add uncooked oatmeal, you get a thicker shake with some good quality complex carbs too.

chicago29

#10 Post by chicago29 »

iBorg...Best of luck on Monday. I'll be thinking about you and will be sending you positive thoughts.

Take solace in the fact you'll soon be on the other side and that you will be on the road to recovery.

Post an update for us as soon as you can...

-Chicago29

iBorg

#11 Post by iBorg »

I appreciate the words concerning Muscle Milk and Mega Shake. I'll get one of them tonight and try it. Mrs. iBorg has suggested I try Carnation Instant Breakfast. Maybe it will help.

What's really interesting is I've bounced between scared wondering why I'm doing this to let's do it. I know this is the right thing. I will be alright but I'm worried about how long I'll be numb.

Mike
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009

blindboarder2008

#12 Post by blindboarder2008 »

carnation breakfast oatmeal sounds good, that one thing the nurse suggested whilst we were talking about post op food and calorie intake. You can add brown sugar or something to boost calories and also using whole milk where ever possible is another good idea!

2bpositive

#13 Post by 2bpositive »

iBorg - wishing you the Best of Luck and for a easy recover also the same for DotCat I know she is also scheduled for June 1.

Keep in mind what KarlClayLA and PJ said that the experience is not as bad as you imagine it that it won't be fun but you get through it - this is what I keep in mind and will tell myself over & over again while my surgery date gets closer.

I also bounce back & forth tell myself no way I'm not doing this then the closer it gets I"m telling myself I have to do this to just get it over with so I can be on that other side and have the surgery behind me.

iBorg

#14 Post by iBorg »

2bpositive:
Thanks for the words. I'm ready to do this. I just hope I don't get cold feet at the last minute. Of course if I don't go through with it, my wife will break my jaw!!

Seriously I am in the process of transferring my Cub Scout responsibilities which makes this a lot easier. While my son has graduated to Boy Scouts, I still feel a responsibility to the other boys to be sure we provide a good experience. Now my only real job is to make it to recovery and get healed.

Mike
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009

tazzle

#15 Post by tazzle »

just in case you are busy tomorrow mike ............ all the best for the op and I am sure we will both be back on here this time next week comparing experiences :wink:

[/url]

ImageImage