1st Adjustment tomorrow

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

magster

1st Adjustment tomorrow

#1 Post by magster »

I AM SOOO NERVOUS!

My teeth still hurt :( not all of them just different ones from before but NO PAIN NO GAIN.

I am hoping I get a new wire or something so that my teeth can hurt some more and they can more some more.. Honestly I havent seen much improvement in the last month + except just random spaces in between certain teeth... in other words my teeth looks worse than they did before :) ha
Spacers: 8 - 4 top, 4 bottom on 04.04.09
Braced on: 04.09.09
Sentence: 18-24 Months

descantus

#2 Post by descantus »

Good luck! I found the anxiety over my first adjustment to be far worse than the adjustment itself, so just relax and you'll be fine :)
Follow my story:
http://dentalpurgatory.blogspot.com/

[/url]

kilikena311

#3 Post by kilikena311 »

My first adjustment was Wednesday and they did more than I expected. My teeth don't feel like they hurt though until I try to bite into something so I guess that's sort of good, LOL. Good luck to you tomorrow. :lol:

magster

#4 Post by magster »

and I meant MOVE SOME MORE not MORE SOME MORE :) LOL darn edit button

hal2me

#5 Post by hal2me »

Hi Maggie!

I had my first adjustment last week. Remember to take some Aleeve before you go. I cannot stress that enough. I forgot and was in pain at work for the rest of the day. Fortunately, the soreness doesn't last as long. The whole process took about 15 minutes. They remove your elastics and archwire, and replace those with new ones. However, I did get a wire tie for my tooth that needs to be rotated.

I wish you the best of luck tomorrow!

delilah

#6 Post by delilah »

You'll do great. It's all a part of the process and, honestly, how are we ever going to get there without the slight discomfort of our teeth moving very slowly? It's part of the process.
:P
Best,
Del

magster

#7 Post by magster »

Thank you everyone! will keep you updated after tomorrow! :D

I actually hope I get a new wire - I've read some other posts that some people dont get a new one...
and Im bringing my tooth brush and asking the ortho if I can brush my teeth without the wire :)
and also dropping $200 dollars... BOOOOOO

kilikena311

#8 Post by kilikena311 »

I did get a new wire on the bottom, but not on the top, probably because of my darn twisted tooth, LOL. I hope you get a new one too! Get those teeth going! :wink:

magster

#9 Post by magster »

Hey everyone!

just an update - sorry I took forever with this.

Got a new wire.. both top and bottom and the ortho said "GREAT PROGRESS"

I didnt take any tylenol or advil before the appointment.. and well my teeth started hurting a few hours after but nothing as bad as to what they hurt like when I first got my braces :D

and my next adjustment is in 3 weeks!

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#10 Post by blindboarder2008 »

magster wrote:Hey everyone!

just an update - sorry I took forever with this.

Got a new wire.. both top and bottom and the ortho said "GREAT PROGRESS"

I didnt take any tylenol or advil before the appointment.. and well my teeth started hurting a few hours after but nothing as bad as to what they hurt like when I first got my braces :D

and my next adjustment is in 3 weeks!
woot woot to getting new wires! that always fun seeing it progress to bigger wires cause that means everything is moving as it should!!!! ya the pain is definetly not as bad as when you first get braces although it also depends if you get other stuff on like powerchains and stuff like that!
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

magster

#11 Post by magster »

and no powerchains or anything of that sort

2nd adjustment is in 3 weeks?

Had to wait 6 weeks for the first one now 3 for the second so YAY to that
pretty excited

embraces

#12 Post by embraces »

I just had my first adjustment today. Pity, they didn't change my wire nor my modules except for my power chains connected to my canines up to my 2nd molars to close a gap from extractions.

I noticed something a bit disgusting, when they took the power chains off, I saw a build-up of plaque or something behind the power chains. Is that normal? I don't understand because I brush carefully and use mouthwash daily.

thunderkat

#13 Post by thunderkat »

You guys are making me feel like such a wuss, b/c my first adjustment yesterday was sooo painful, and I am still in pain (even had to stay home from work). I have been on painkillers, but when they start wearing off, the pain is excrutiating -- *much* worse than the original braces application 2 months ago. And my face is swollen. :(

I am wearing self-ligating ceramics upper/metal lower so I dunno if that's why the adjustment was more painful? They replaced my wire and put in an elastic on the right side only which I have to wear for two months.

sisi

#14 Post by sisi »

Magster, congratulations on your first adjustment. It's good to tick one adjustment off the long list- so great to be making progress.
Sisi