How long is the debanding process?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

saycheeese

How long is the debanding process?

#1 Post by saycheeese »

Hey everyone;

I'm sorry if something like this has previously been asked but I'm getting my braces off in a few months and I was just wondering how long the process will take? The only reason I want to know is because I have an appointment to get them off at 3 pm, but I have to get back to university to do a presentation shortly after.

Also, I'm only having the braces removed that day, I will be fitted with a retainer and have photo taken a couple of days later, not then.

Thanks in advance

Andromeda

#2 Post by Andromeda »

I have an appointment to get mine off in 3 weeks and they scheduled it for 45 minutes. I think they are planning on doing retainer molds and photos in that time as well because I go back 2 hours later to pick up my retainer and I've already had my last adjustment so theres no other time for molds.

I switched orthos midway through treatment and my current one took my original braces off and put a different bracket system on so I had a full debanding (with totally naked teeth for a whole 5 minutes haha). But for them to take the brackets off and scrape all the glue, and polish, etc. it was only like 20 minutes I think. Then I had to get braced again which took over an hour...

saycheeese

#3 Post by saycheeese »

Ok thanks Andromeda; just as long as it's under an hour then it's fine :)

browneyedgrl

#4 Post by browneyedgrl »

I'm getting debanded in 2.5 weeks and I'm scheduled for 1.5 hours. I guess each ortho is different. I already had my mold taken for my upper retainer and I'll be getting a lower bonded retainer as well. I'm assuming they'll take final pics as well.

B
Started the journey for the second time on January 10th 2008~Ceramic uppers and metal lowers. Removed on June 2nd 2009.

[/url]

newsboysgrl777

#5 Post by newsboysgrl777 »

saycheese, do youhavemetal or ceramic brackets? This makes a BIG difference in debanding time. It takes longer to take the ceramic off I guess bc of the back of the bracket and how it adheres to the tooth. So your best bet is to ask your ortho's office

beachbum

#6 Post by beachbum »

I'm scheduled for 1 and 1/2 hours, as well. I have metal brackets.

Andromeda

#7 Post by Andromeda »

I had ceramic brackets removed from my teeth last year when my new ortho wanted to put his own type of brackets on and it still only took like 20 minutes including scraping all the glue off and stuff.

saycheeese

#8 Post by saycheeese »

I have metal (damon) braces. Yeah I'll just ask the ortho at my next appointment, but it should be alright.