My daughter is in pain :(

If your child is in any stage of orthodontic treatment, this is a place to connect with other parents in your situation. Please note: this is a forum for adults only -- kids may not post here!

Moderator: bbsadmin

badbite

My daughter is in pain :(

#1 Post by badbite »

My 8 year old daughter got her spacers in on Monday. The Ortho assistant said her teeth are abnormally tight for her age and the spacers were very hard to get in. My DD has been crying since yesterday morning. She won't eat or do anything. She did go to school because she didn't want to miss the "Easter activities" but she cried all morning and wants to take them out. I am not sure how to help her.

Any ideas? We have been pumping the pain killers around the clock with no avail. Oh -and she never complains, so I know she must be in a lot of pain.

RPE in on Jan 7, 2008
SARPE on Jan 11, 2008 expanded 7 mm
RPE out on May 14, 2008

ohmyjaw

#2 Post by ohmyjaw »

There's not a whole lot you can do besides what you're already doing... spacers are truly a pain! (Literally!) Keep taking those painkillers, and offer encouragement. Something cold, like sucking on ice chips or ice cream might also help. It should get better in a few days, a week at most.

sauerkraut

#3 Post by sauerkraut »

Hi badbite. I thought the board was gone for good so didn't look for a while and have just seen this. Hopefully things have improved for your daughter by now, as it sounds like a miserable way for her to spend Easter, poor thing :(

Like ohmyjaw says, you're probably already doing all you can, and I second the sucking on something cold idea. I remember someone once suggested chewing on a facecloth that's been in the freezer. (Think back to all those teething remedies!)

I also wondered if it might help to smear some of that numbing gel (e.g. Bonjela) over the gums where the spacers are. It might help relieve the area for a while.

Hope all's well again soon.

bbsadmin

#4 Post by bbsadmin »

I hope your daughter is feeling better by today.

The spacers can actually be the worst part of the entire process for most people. Fortunately they come out after a week or so. The braces themselves are not as painful as the spacers!

Besides painkillers, ice, and possible salt water, there isn't much you can do. Oral anesthetics won't really help too much with something like spacers.

Maybe after the spacers are out and the braces are on, you could get your daughter a little gift for being so brave!
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

sauerkraut

#5 Post by sauerkraut »

bbsadmin wrote:Oral anesthetics won't really help too much with something like spacers.
Well, I found Bonjela helped me a bit, but maybe that's because I splodged on so much it made my whole mouth numb for a while! (Perhaps not such a good idea to overdo it like that for a young child tho :wink: ) .

I just know that if my children are crying in pain they want me to DO something NOW, even if it's only for placebo effect. Somehow I can't imagine them being particularly comforted by the thought that it will be over in a few days and then they can have a treat :(

How's your daughter doing now, Badbite? Has she got the expander in yet?

anto2112

#6 Post by anto2112 »

I'm a spammer. Another series of IP addresses have been blocked by the Admin because of me!