Needing advice in regards to lower jaw surgery

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BCgirl

Needing advice in regards to lower jaw surgery

#1 Post by BCgirl »

Hi, I have an overbite with a very weak chin that is receded. The result is a horrible side profile and no definition in my neck, i.e turkey neck. I had braces 5 years ago where my overbite was kind of corrected by moving my lower front teeth forward a bit. I had been told that I needed to have braces again and 2 teeth on the bottom (which are visible when I talk) pulled and my front bottom teeth moved back....then I would need surgery to move my jaw forward. This alone is scary but I think the cost may be even scarier. Does anyone know how much a procedure such as this would cost? I am a university student in BC on student loans.
Has anyone had the alternative where a chin implant is put in and the neck/jawline undergoes liposuction?

megs29

#2 Post by megs29 »

Hey

Im in Ontario and my braces cost was about $5200, and my lower jaw and genio (chin surgery) was $3200 dollars. Just to give you an estimate how things are over here. I wouldn't expect it to be THAT different in B.C
BSSO + Chin Reduction March 2nd 2009!

http://megsjaw.blogspot.com/

ohmyjaw

#3 Post by ohmyjaw »

Yup, I would say that's about right. I had jaw surgery in BC and it was $7000 for both jaws, so I'm guessing lower jaw only would be around half of that.

I would explore both options, to find out which would give you better results. The jaw surgery might give you better long-term health and stability for your teeth.

Figamentation

Re: Needing advice in regards to lower jaw surgery

#4 Post by Figamentation »

BCgirl wrote:Hi, I have an overbite with a very weak chin that is receded. The result is a horrible side profile and no definition in my neck, i.e turkey neck. I had braces 5 years ago where my overbite was kind of corrected by moving my lower front teeth forward a bit. I had been told that I needed to have braces again and 2 teeth on the bottom (which are visible when I talk) pulled and my front bottom teeth moved back....then I would need surgery to move my jaw forward. This alone is scary but I think the cost may be even scarier. Does anyone know how much a procedure such as this would cost? I am a university student in BC on student loans.
Has anyone had the alternative where a chin implant is put in and the neck/jawline undergoes liposuction?

Many of the people in this forum have had similar issues (including myself) and nearly all of them required braces combined with jaw surgery. The few that I've known and have read about on the board that attempted to go just the plastic surgery route were all very disappointed with the results as it doesn't fix the root of the problem and that is the placement of the jaw itself. The only way I would suggest that is if you had no overbite but a perfect bite with a weak chin. The route you most likely have to take is a longer and more difficult road but in the end you will get much better results that for most last a lifetime.