My story, initial situation, with pics.

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lingualita

My story, initial situation, with pics.

#1 Post by Lingualita »

I'm a 23 year old girl, who after years of hating my teeth and my overjet, finally took the plunge and decided to fix my severe overjet and crooked teeth. I needed four extractions and I have currently lingual braces on top, and will get lingual braces and the bottom in about 10 days. My experience so far has been mixed. Getting braced is truly an emotional rollecoaster, but I've never really regreted it. I can't wait for the changes to appear, and am really looking forward to my first adjustment (which will take place when I get the lower braces on), even though it's said to be really painful.

I've posted pictures of my initial situation here. When I saw the pictures I took, I just wanted to cry. My teeth were actually worse than I thought. Guess you protect yourself, so after years posing in the mirror with my "right angle", I was actually a bit shocked how bad they were. Well, I guess that's even a better reason for me to get braced!

Hope I can see results soon after the adjustment! Will keep you posted on how I'm progressing.

P.s. I might have to have surgery later on to correct my overjet and gummy smile, but that's not until a year or so, and I'm having a consultation with an OS first to elaborate this, so I'll return to this later.

So long[/img]

*tap*

#2 Post by *tap* »

blimey, how do you talk properly are they very uncomfortable? well done on getting braced good pics too, hope you get the results you want :)
1 step closer!!!!!!!!

Lingualita

Talk

#3 Post by Lingualita »

Hey. I do in fact talk properly. It was really bad for the first few days, or at least so I thought. My s'es were really bad. I was super self-concious and I thought everyone could hear it. But in fact, it turned out that I was the only one noticing. When i told my friend that I was concious about the s'es, she could hardly hear the difference, even when trying to.

Regarding braces I have three concerns;

-SPEECH ISSUES; I'm working as a receptionist, and my main task at my work is speaking on the phone and welcoming visitors, which means I'm very self-concious regarding my speech. This turned out to be no trouble whatsoever for me, just a slight problem with mye s'es for three days or so, but is now totally gone. I expect I'll have it the same way once I've fitted the lowers and for each visit at the ortho's for adjustment/tightening.

-APPEARENCE; I cannot deny that the only reason for which I've procrastinated this decision for years has been the concern of how other would react of my appearence. I would say that while other people would claim that I'm vain, I would say self-concious. And that's really two different things. So far this has been no problem etiher. Noone has noticed my braces. The fake teeth have pretty well covered my extraction-gaps in my upper jaw (except for the fact that I've lost one, will hopefully glue it back in tomorrow). My concern is that the lower jaw braces will be more visible, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see. After having the extractions there's really no turning back:)

-PAIN; I have to admit that this is the least of my worries. So far it's been quite painless. I haven't started tightening my braces yet, but I guess there'll be substantial amount of pain to come once that's getting started. The extractions were, I wouldn't say painful, but a bit of an uncomfortable procedure. I guess not knowing what to expect was the worst, but I'm glad I'm finished with the extractions.

Will fill you in regarding all three of my concern, and the others I might get, as we go along.

Sorry if this is too long and dull to read. I have to admit that I'm doing this partly to share my experienes and encourage others to make the decision, but I'm also doing this for myself. Even though a haven't regretted my decision for a split second, there are a lot of feelings to be sorted, and I feel that writing about it makes it easier.

Stay tuned :)

catfish

#4 Post by catfish »

Your teeth are really pretty. You're going to have a fantastic smile when you're done with the braces!

You've come to the right place to share your story. AW is full of people going through the same thing, and it's great to get the support. And the commiseration, when that's needed. :)
Click on WWW to see my braces story.

August 16, 2007 - Braced on top
January 3, 2008 - Braced on bottom

Lingualita

#5 Post by Lingualita »

Thanks catfish, for the support. It really helps:) This page has been so great in my journey. I am sure the end result is going to be really great, it's just that it seems like a long way to go..

But once I start seeing changes, I'm sure I'll be absolutely extatic:)

brika

#6 Post by brika »

Congratulations on beginning your journey, Lingualita!
I know exactly what you mean about the emotional rollercoaster, but it will be worth it in the end! (And you have very lovely teeth, so I know the end result will be amazing! :))
Thanks for sharing your story with us! I look forward to seeing your progress!

Lingualita

Lingualita's story, 1st update, with pics

#7 Post by Lingualita »

Hey,

Yesterday I got my lower ibraces fitted. I feel quite sore at the moment, but am actually quite satisfied with that, which means that something is happening:)

Have had the uppers for six weeks. Can't say that I've noticed any difference, but I haven't changed the wire yet. Here are some pictures from my current situation. Am going to the ortho again in eight weeks. Hope I see some changes by then. Will keep you posted!

As you can see, I have some sort of elastics or bands (don't know what you call them). The purpose of these, if I got the ortho right, was to help closing the gaps. Looking forward to start seeing changes :) [/img]

brika

#8 Post by brika »

Congrats on getting your lowers braced! Has it been tough on your tongue, getting used to the brackets twice? :? Hopefully it's already been toughened up enough to take it! :)

The archwire on your uppers definitely looks more rounded out! Yay! :D

Lingualita

#9 Post by Lingualita »

Thanks Brika!

Yeps, it's definately a bit rough on my tongue. Haven't been using wax at all on the upper braces, but I think I'll definately use mor on the lowers. The "end" of the archwire keeps itching to bottom of my tongue. It's a bit painful. But I suppose it's like when I have my upper fitted. Really weird for a few days, max a week, and then you hardly notice:)

But all in all, these are just minor obstacles on my way to straight and nice teeth :P

Lingualita

#10 Post by Lingualita »

So now I've had my lower linguals on for four days. I cannot see any changes yet, but I can feel it when I floss, especially behind the teeth behind my extraction gaps in my lower jaw. This is satisfying, even though reading people who have had visual changes within a few days had made my expectations to high I suppose. Have my next appointment in seven weeks, so I guess there's still plenty of time to spot changes:=)

Lingualita

#11 Post by Lingualita »

Here's an update with some pic's. I've had the upper braces on for 7 weeks, but the entire wire all the time. I've had the lowers on for about ten days. I have my next appointment on the 18th. of May, and I'll probably post new pictures then, unless I experience major changes before that, hopefully I'll post soon :D

My uppers, Can't really see any changes..:

My smile:

My lower's:

My lower's, close-up:

Lingualita

#12 Post by Lingualita »

By the way, I promise from now on I'll have the same size on my photos :) LOL!! And try to take the pictures from the same angle, so it's easier to compare the pictures. Right now it's a mess, but i promise to be a good girl from now :-9

changes09

#13 Post by changes09 »

maybe its just my eyes but I can see a differnece in your teeth. From looking at your first photo's to your current it looks like your extraction sites are closing

Lingualita

#14 Post by Lingualita »

Just thought I'd post a picture of teeth from the profile angle. Just have to warn you that they look absolutely horrible, but I think you'll manage :lol:

Let's hope it's going to change fast!

You can see my extractrion gap in my lower jaw, and my "fake tooth" in the upper jaw.

Here's the other side:

Lingualita

Update

#15 Post by Lingualita »

Now it's been almost a month since I had my lower braces fitted. Must admit that i don't see any difference, but I'll post some pictures anyhow:)

Upper jaw initially
after about 2 months:

Lower jaw initially:
After about 1 month