Others Over Age 50 With Invisalign - 3 Weeks Per Aligner??

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Wireless

#1 Post by Wireless »

My orthodontist recommended Invisalign for my case after reviewing my records and seeing a resorbed tooth root from a previous treatment. Up until that point he had been discussing an 18 month treatment plan with regular braces, but became concerned that the damaged tooth root would be further damaged.

He also initially told me that I would be on a three week schedule for changing aligners instead of two based on my age. However, before my attachments were put on, I started out at two weeks for the first three sets of aligners. After putting on my attachments, he suggested the three week schedule, but said it would be ok to try for two.

I've been trying to keep up the two week schedule, but started having discomfort two days after my last aligner change. I may back up a set for a week to see if this improves.

Has anyone else had this experience with Invisalign??

PaulInc

#2 Post by PaulInc »

It's not unusual to still have discomfort 2 days after changing aligner. With some aligners my teeth have still been a bit tender after nearly a week.

What you say also confirms what i've read elsewhere, that removable braces are better for your roots.

Wireless

#3 Post by Wireless »

I ended up following my orthodontist's directions if a problem happened - I went back to the previous aligner for another week (three weeks total) and then tried the next aligner again. This time, everything was ok. The problem is moving teeth with older patients - I am 59.

Before attachments, I was changing aligners every two weeks with no problem. Since I have 21 sets, I was hoping for less than a year of treatment even though I had been told 1 1/2 years.

There probably aren't that many people my age with braces. I have found that a number friends my age have considered getting their teeth straightened either for the first time or a re-treatment. However, when they find out what is involved or the expense, they go no further.

My teeth had crowded a little bit since earlier ortho treatments, but I really wasn't concerned about this as most people my age have much worse looking teeth. However, once a severe deep overbite returned I had to get it corrected due to gum damage. Neither my dentist or orthodontist offered other options.

CoverGirl

#4 Post by CoverGirl »

If it makes you feel any better my ortho advised me of 3 weeks and I'm in my early 20's! But, my teeth are moving at such a rapid pace that I'm changing them every week and a half/ two weeks. We're basicly just listening to my body and if it can take a rapid approach we change them ahead of schedule if they can't we don't. Every Body is different you just have to listen to what yours is saying.
[/url]

CoverGirl

#5 Post by CoverGirl »

If it makes you feel any better my ortho advised me of 3 weeks and I'm in my early 20's! But, my teeth are moving at such a rapid pace that I'm changing them every week and a half/ two weeks. We're basicly just listening to my body and if it can take a rapid approach we change them ahead of schedule if they can't we don't. Every Body is different you just have to listen to what yours is saying.
[/url]

Wobblydeb

#6 Post by Wobblydeb »

I've gone to 3 weeks with earlier trays when I was having problems with how they fitted, and I'm almost tempted to with this set. There's a lot going on at the moment! :) 2 weeks just seems to be on the boundary for me - I guess each of us is different, and there is an optimum time per patient.

I get comfort from the idea this is better for my roots. I also think fixed braces contributed to the gum recession on my upper teeth, especially my molars (where the molar bands were). So far, Invisalign has been a lot better for the health of my mouth and gums :)
Initial set: 31 upper / 17 lower
1st refinement: 14 upper / 10 lower
2nd refinement: 10 upper / 5 lower

Still smiling

#7 Post by Still smiling »

I'm 63 and I have my sets in for 4 weeks for each pair. I got 10 sets of upper and lower and I'm on the last set. My teeth are a little tender for almost a week when I change sets but by 2 weeks I sometimes forget I'm wearing them. Most of the movement of the teeth seems to occur in the first 3 days. I think they are left in longer for older people because the bone tends to reform slower in some. I'm not really impressed with the results. It appears to me that they didn't even try to realign some of the molars and my bite is uneven. It feels like there are only about 4 places where the teeth come together when I bite and when the teeth on the left side come together the teeth on the right side aren't even hitting where they're supposed to. I hope I get some additional sets of aligners to correct it before I'm done. I hope they don't just grind the teeth down to get them to match up.

Wireless

#8 Post by Wireless »

I'm back to a two week schedule. The recent snowstorm delayed my last appointment a couple of days. When I went in, my ortho checked my new trays after I had worn the last set two weeks and found everything was ok. I probably need to be more careful about keeping them in longer as we've been going out for dinner often and I've been removing my trays before leaving home.

I've also done some web searches on treatment of severe deep overbites and found a 2008 article in the Journal of Clinical Orthodontics (JCO) noting that Invisalign treatment for this condition was just evolving. I was aware that my ortho has done considerable consultation with Invisalign about my treatment plan, but wasn't aware that what we are doing is this new.

I'm on trays 7 of 14U/21L and the next trays will start intruding my front lower teeth. It will be interesting to see how well this works!

shagsoprano

#9 Post by shagsoprano »

Wow I consider myself really fortunate....I'm 52, and have been wearing my liners since December. I've experienced absolutely no side effects, and am able to change my liners every two weeks. All my corrective movement is in my lower/mandibular set, essentially 4 mildly occluded teeth. Yes, tightness for the first few days w/ a new liner, but quickly the tightness subsides. A friend of mine, who persuaded me to take the invisalign plunge, and whose occluded teeth were upper/maxillar, and who is also in her 50's, had more problems (attachment sensitivity, rawness at the gumline from the liners), but she's for the most part finished and loves the results. At the outset of my treatment, my doc said if a new liner felt too tight, we would return to wearing the old liner for another week, but so far that has NOT happened. In a few weeks when I get my 9th set of liners we take another set of molds, per the doc, to make sure the clinchek plan and my teeth are on the same trajectory. good luck to fellow boomers....

DebM

#10 Post by DebM »

Well, add me to the over 50 group. I am 58 yrs old and received my first trays last week. Little or no discomfort...the first night my molar was sensitive and I had dry mouth for two days. I drink a lot of water so that will not be a problem for me.

My bottom tray was rubbing against my tongue so I just filed that area and it is fine. First few days I had trouble putting in my bottom tray...now I am a pro and don't even use the mirror to see what I am doing.

I will have the elastic bands since I have an overjet and will begin the bands in ten weeks when I get the attachments. I was given a total of four trays..I will wear each of the three trays for three weeks then the fourth tray for four weeks with a total of 17 trays. If I am on schedule I will be three months shy of being 60 years old when I have completed treatment.

My daughter, age 31, started Invisalign treatment in August of 2008 and will complete treatment in May 2009. Her teeth look great and she has had no problems.

This is a very informational board! Thank you!

djrobsd

#11 Post by djrobsd »

Honestly, it all has to do with how COMPLIANT you are. If you keep your trays in for the recommended 22 hours a day, you will most likely be able to change them every 2 weeks. The less complaint you are, the more it will hurt when you change trays. Pain is normal for the first 1-3 days after changing! Avoid going back to the previous tray unless the new one just won't fit at all!

I know someone who is changing trays every 1.5 weeks because he keeps them in 22-23 hours a day, only takes them out when the food is actually on the table waiting to be eaten and runs right to the bathroom afterwards to brush and re-insert. :)

Wireless

#12 Post by Wireless »

I agree and so far have been able to maintain a two week schedule - I'm on tray 10 of 14U/21L. From some comments of younger patients, it looks like compliance isn't as important there as for us more "mature". I think my ortho started out suggesting three weeks being conservative. He may have also been concerned that I was very reluctant to start treatment at first and my case was a dentist referral, not a need to have treatment for appearance.

I have found that I need almost the full two weeks to move to the next tray and if I try earlier the new trays don't fit.

weirdteeth

#13 Post by weirdteeth »

Well, I am in my mid 30's and on trays 2 of 10 for upper and lower. My ortho wants me to wear them for 4 weeks each. I questioned him about it, and he said after seeing so many cases have problems over the years, they have found that "longer is better". He said that people have good intentions of keeping to the recommended wearing time, but most seem to slack over time, causing problems. He said he'll see if in the next few visits if everything is moving perfectly, he may be willing to go to 3 weeks. I guess this makes sense, but of course I wish I could do the 2 week changes!!!

Wireless

#14 Post by Wireless »

Three or four weeks sounds very conservative. I'll be 60 in a few months and am still maintaining a two week schedule. I did have to have an attachment moved on tray 11 since everything wasn't tracking perfectly, but that has been the only problem so far. My ortho has been on board with the understanding if the new trays are too tight I should go back to the previous set for an extra week. I can also generally tell by how easy it is to remove my trays as to when I'm ready for the next ones. This usually is 12 to 13 days from when I change them.

Chris1960

#15 Post by Chris1960 »

I'm 48. I went from a 2 week schedule to a 10 day schedule. It didn't seem to be a problem. The next trays go in and are only painful for only a couple of hours.
Brackets off 6/5/08
Invisaligns on 7/28/08
(7 Week delay)
21 of 23 U&L (Skipped a tray/On a 10 day rotation)

Class II subdivision right
Moderate upper/lower crowding
Partial anterior crossbite
Normal overbite/overjet
Sentence: 18-20 months