MacGirl4Ever's Journal

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

macgirl4ever

MacGirl4Ever's Journal

#1 Post by macgirl4ever »

I had braces for two years when I was 11-13. I didn't wear my retainer the way I was supposed to and my teeth shifted. I had my wisdom teeth extracted when I was 25 and my teeth shifted even more. At 30 I decided that enough was enough and that this time I'd finally do it right.

My appointment for Records and Banding is on Monday, March 2. Today, they installed the spacers so I will only have the spacers in for 72 hours. I took Advil before the appointment so I'm feeling okay for now. I know tomorrow morning won't be so great!

http://gallery.me.com/julia_kelly#10012 ... olor=black

Tommm

#2 Post by Tommm »

Welcome to the braces club (again). :) Looking forward to hearing about your progress!

brika

#3 Post by brika »

Congrats on starting your re-bracing! I hope the spacers aren't too painful (at least they won't be in for long!), and that your banding goes smoothly on Monday! Best of luck!

macgirl4ever

#4 Post by macgirl4ever »

I remembered that spacers were painful, but it was not like this! My teeth are now super tight from my canines through my second premolar. The two molars that have the spacers between them, however, aren't as sore. Yesterday was miserable but today is better. Eating is still horrible. I'm taking 800 mg of Advil Geltabs every six hours except before bed when I take Advil PM (really good stuff, would definitely recommend). Brushing my teeth and massaging the gums actually makes it feel better as does filling my waterpik with warm water and using the tip around the gum line. I have about 24 hours left and can't wait to have these taken out!

macgirl4ever

Records and Partial Banding Appointment

#5 Post by macgirl4ever »

Today, they performed all the usual records (x-rays, impressions, photos), took off my spacers (thank God!) and fitted my molar bands. I have to go back next Tuesday for both top and bottom brackets and the first arch wire. Until then, my cheeks are experiencing their first cuts in seventeen years but I'm toughing it out.

brika

#6 Post by brika »

Aww, it's one pain in the neck (mouth?) after another. :( I hope your bands don't cause too much pain! Swish plenty of saltwater!
Good luck next week!

macgirl4ever

Stiff Neck

#7 Post by macgirl4ever »

Perhaps I'm being a bit irrational, but ever since Thursday evening, one side of my neck has been really, really tender. I always kind of feel dizzy, have run a fever, and feel cold/hot all the time. I am vaccinated against the flu and meningitis. I'm sure I'm just sick but it worries me that this occurred a few days after getting molar bands. I do admit, however, that my fingers have been in and out of my mouth and so picking up germs, especially in a residential school setting, would have been highly likely if not expected. I refuse to go to the ER (last year I was diagnosed with indigestion only to have my gallbladder removed four days later) but know a stiff neck is not a good thing. Could it be related to the metal in my braces or a gum infection I can't see?

Calistamay

#8 Post by Calistamay »

Congrats on starting your journey again. I didn't need molar bands, but a stiff neck could also be a sign of a tension headache. Certainly don't need to go to the ER for it, but if you are concerned you should see your PCP. Hope you get to feeling better. Might just be nerves.

macgirl4ever

#9 Post by macgirl4ever »

I was braced yesterday. Everything just feels very, very tight.

Dreams

#10 Post by Dreams »

Hi Brace Buddy! I was thinking of you yesterday, when I was getting braced. I checked this morning to see if you checked in, though you hadn't yet - so I thought I'd hop in to check again!

I can't see your picture - not sure if there's something wrong with the code...

Did you get top and bottom braced? I just got the top braced yesterday. I posted some pics in my journal.

Yes, everything feels tight for me too - and didn't hurt until yesterday evening, then it was like, "Bring ON the ibuprofen!..." Though it's a GOOD pain. Who'd ever think we'd get excited bc we're hurting? Hahaha!!!

I am wondering how in the world people actually manage to eat anything when first braced.

How's eating going for you?
3.5.09: Spacers
3.10.09 BRACED! (Top)
4.1.09 Next appt.

brika

#11 Post by brika »

Congrats on getting braced! They make your smile look adorable! :D
I'm sorry to hear about your neck pain. I'm not sure if it could be related to the molar bands, but either way I hope it improves for you!

macgirl4ever

Bite Changes

#12 Post by macgirl4ever »

It's been just over a day and I can already feel that the bite in my mouth is different with some teeth not touching that once could and some teeth touching that once could not. Of course you can't see anything but it's nice that at least it feels different in there.

Dreams

Re: Bite Changes

#13 Post by Dreams »

macgirl4ever wrote:It's been just over a day and I can already feel that the bite in my mouth is different with some teeth not touching that once could and some teeth touching that once could not. Of course you can't see anything but it's nice that at least it feels different in there.
Weird isn't it?

I'm noticing the same thing with my bite.

My ortho built up my back bottom molars, so only they are touching. Well, it depends on how my bite is at that particular moment. Often it's only one side touching. Sore mouth and I can only eat on one tooth.

Congrats again on getting it done!
3.5.09: Spacers
3.10.09 BRACED! (Top)
4.1.09 Next appt.

Tommm

#14 Post by Tommm »

That's cool that you notice a difference already! Just give it a few weeks and youll be amazed at what you "see". It's all about the waiting game now :)

macgirl4ever

1 Month Update

#15 Post by macgirl4ever »

It's been just over a month since I was banded and bracketed and the results are great! My lower teeth are already less noticeably crowded and the gap in my lower teeth is shrinking each week! I wish I could figure out how to link picures to pictures I already posted online. I do keep an updated blog at http://web.me.com/julia_kelly/The_Brace/Blog/Blog.html