Essix retainers... Well any hints for retainer wear be good

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sjsarre

Essix retainers... Well any hints for retainer wear be good

#1 Post by sjsarre »

I've just had my 13th adjustment and on the 11 October I will be having my uppers debonded and an Essix retainer fitted the next day.

Are there any hints you guys can give me to wearing retainers / cleaning retainers / whether I can do teeth whitening etc???

Thanks
S

sjsarre

#2 Post by sjsarre »

Great thanks so much for the advice... Not sure how long i'll need to wear it each day but i'm quite happy to wear it even if its 24hours a day!!

The whitening product sounds really good... Might start investigating products for mid / end November time after my top has been off for a month

Betty Bat

#3 Post by Betty Bat »

I got a pamphlet from my ortho when I got my retainer. Here's what it said:
- Do not clean your essix retainer with toothpaste. Use soap with your toothbrush
- place a dot of colored nail polish on the inside of your essix. This will help you see it.

When I asked about the soap, they said that I could use a gel toothpaste instead of soap. I used Dr. Bronner's liquid soap for a while - it can be used for brushing your teeth and for a mouthwash. But, I'll admit that I like the gel toothpaste better, just for the flavor.

I keep mine in the plastic case when I'm not wearing it, soaking in water with a little non-alcohol mouthwash. I use Crest Pro-Care right now, because that's what I had at home.

sjsarre

#4 Post by sjsarre »

Well its been a while since I posted.. I wore the retainer every day without fail for the first year. Now I wear it every 3 nights and had it cut down so it doesn't include all my back teeth!!

Miss Smiley

#5 Post by Miss Smiley »

My Essix are super thick and a pain (literally) to get in and out!!!! Luckily, my lowers are Essix at night only but my uppers are the real pain and are 24 hour wear besides the eating and brushing. Because the uppers are so much of a pain, I was told I could wear them while eating. I'm glad these are temporary.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix