First bad experience: Only 2nd adjustment

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

real2

First bad experience: Only 2nd adjustment

#1 Post by real2 »

I got complain at today by my orthodontist...

So I went in today for my 2nd adjustment, everything went great! The desk-girls are socially flirting with me, the orthodontist is happily accepting questions, and the "Assistant" is quick, and efficient (although she seemed mentally preoccupied).

Installed a thicker Archwire, AND a powerchain across my centrals.

About 30 minutes after I leave, I notice the metal ligature on a central incisor is literally NOT hooked onto the bracket. I keep calm, but eventually become paranoid, and head back to my ortho ASAP.

The ortho "Assistant" provides a mirror and INSISTS that everything is FINE. There is a CLEAR difference between the ligature of the left and the right incisor, it was almost coming off completely.

--> She literally grunted at me, said "FINE" in the most aggressive tone, and throws down the mirror into her cabinet, rips off my power chain, as well as the ligature, and installs a new one with enough force to really cause some serious muscle tensing pain. She shoves a mirror in my face and mutters "happy?" <-- ?Bad day?

I didn't look at her, but I simply said "Yep, thank you" as politely as possible and quickly walked out of there.

...lame experience to say the least.

real2

#2 Post by real2 »

"I got complain at today by my orthodontist... "

That should say something else instead of complained, but I think I "harassed" will suffice.

LCARA

#3 Post by LCARA »

Well knowing how busy offices are maybe that was part of it.

I have self ligating braces, do you? I'm not exactly sure what the ligature even is.

That behaviour though is pretty bad, although she probably thought you were telling her how to do her job.

Summer73

#4 Post by Summer73 »

That is one thing that I don't like about our insurance is that there are only a few, in my case one, ortho for my area. I feel like a number instead of a person in there because they're so busy. I rather have gone to another ortho that wasn't in network, but it's so much cheaper and had to go this route. I don't doubt that they might know what they're doing, but I'm a individual and not had ortho before. I felt as though everyone was in a rush when I was there for the consult. They didn't make the molds of my teeth yet which will be done on Tuesday before my placement. He didn't go over any sort of treatment plan with me other than I'm getting braces and something to correct my overbite nor did I know what to ask really. He was talking more about where he is from and that my husband should take me there for a vacation. I don't know anything other than that. I really didn't find the office staff very customer friendly either. I believe I narrowed it down to them having more patients than they need. By that afternoon, the lobby was full of patients.

TumbleDryLow

#5 Post by TumbleDryLow »

While your ortho office should not have been so rude to you, maybe next time call in and make an "emergency" appointment rather then just go back in unannounced. Ortho offices are usually very busy, and they must run on a very tight schedule. I have had similar issues--after an appointment either something does not look right or worst case, a bracket pops off. When I call in, my ortho happily gets me in at the next possible time slot--usually later that day or early the next. Most orthos keep many time slots open for such "emergency adjustment" appointments. And don't worry about going a day or two with something not quite right. Such a small amount of time will not delay your treatment.

linzyleigh

#6 Post by linzyleigh »

I had a similar, although maybe not quite as bad, experience. This morning I got my first adjustment, with new archwires. The assistant was short with me, which I guess was fine. She doesn't need to make a bunch of small talk with everyone that sits down in her chair. I mentioned to her that I'd appreciate if they could clean up some of the "flash" (extra glue from when I got them put on) because it had begun to stain from drinking coffee. She gave me a look and then did it, without saying a word. In fact, she didn't say another word to me while I was there, other than "you can go". She made me feel like I was being totally unreasonable for asking her to do that.

I understand that these people see a lot of patients in a day, but poor treatment like that is not acceptable. I am paying A LOT of money for these things (out of my own pocket, I have no coverage for braces) and I expect good treatment for that!

I didn't make a stink about it today but if it happens again, you can be assured that I will say something to the orthodontist about it.

KLC

#7 Post by KLC »

I know orthodontists can be very busy and it sounds like a good deal of you have had bad experiences with rude staff but don't make excuses for them... Being busy is not an excuse for the behaviour you've all been given! You are paying good money to be there and if they have done something you don't understand or if you have brackets pop off or have small requests (like taking extra glue off that probably should not be there), they should do it without the attitude or at least talk to you about it.

Sorry if this is a little harsh, I'm just in shock that staff could be so inconsiderate. I guess I am very fortunate to have a great group of people to go to... but then I've never had an emergency (knock on wood). Getting braces, especially at our ages, is not a small thing and it's not an easy thing. The adjustments themselves can be painful enough, you don't need the actual office visit to be miserable to :cry:

Miss Smiley

#8 Post by Miss Smiley »

Like KLC, I too have a great group, they never make me feel bad for asking questions or randomly popping in for my many emergencies. The assistants would always take the time to ask me if I was okay, ask if my ligs were good, see if anything was hurting or poking where it wasn't supposed to. They are always sweet and never get mad when I would ask them to clean some of the flash, they never complained when I wold tell them how my two clear ligs would be a different color or something crazy. I guess I never realized how good I have it.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

KLC

#9 Post by KLC »

I had an adjustment this morning and thought of you all while I was there. I, like Miss Smiley, am very lucky and will appreciate my ortho and his staff all the more. Hopefully you just caught them on a bad day and your future visits will be better. Good luck!

Summer73

#10 Post by Summer73 »

When I had my uppers placed on the 3rd of March, they were much more friendly to me than they were on the consult. We found out that insurance won't cover 'adult' braces but will 'child' braces. This will be paid out of pocket and if I have once grouchiness out of them, I will mention it to the Orthodontist. They should be appreciative that they have good jobs in such a bad economy.
I have been sententenced to 31 months.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]