Should my wires be being replaced?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Chineseand

Should my wires be being replaced?

#1 Post by Chineseand »

My orthodontist has been taking out my wires and bending them back to the shape he wants and putting them back in. This has happened the past 3 or 4 times I've gone (once a month). Are those wires not weakened? Shouldn't he be replacing them with new wires? As expensive as braces are, I can help but feel I should at least be getting new paper clips every once in a while. Anyone have similar experiences, or am I getting shafted here?

Yolanda

#2 Post by Yolanda »

sounds odd to me, my ortho changes my wires every time I go for an appointment, so it sounds to me like your getting shafted...

jxds

#3 Post by jxds »

mm, not sure. Sometimes I get my wires changes and sometimes they just leave the same ones in, so it's probably just normal.

saycheeese

#4 Post by saycheeese »

I don't know if that's normal or not but it does sound a bit strange. I get my wires changed almost every time I have an appointment, although last time my ortho left the upper wire as it was, and only changed the powerchain. However, he's never taken a wire out, bended it and put it back again, and the fact that your ortho hasn't changed your wires for 3 or 4 months is even more strange.
If I were you, I would talk to your orthodontist to see whats going on, just to be sure.

Andromeda

#5 Post by Andromeda »

I'm going to have to disagree with the crowd here and say that it does NOT seem strange to me... I had the same archwire for over 6 months from August to February. I asked about it and they said the type of wires they use don't need to be changed much because they are really strong and will keep working for many months. I think it really depends on the type of archwires your ortho uses. Some are better than others and will not need to be replaced as often.

Can you still see any movement in your teeth when after each adjustment or does it seem like your teeth haven't moved? When they gave me the archwire I had for so long, I was already far enough along in treatment that most of my visually obvious movement had already happened. But I could still feel the bite changing and stuff and once in a while a random tooth would get sore so I know it was still working.

CactusZAF

#6 Post by CactusZAF »

I must agree with Andromeda on this one, depending on the hardware used as well as the speed at which your teeth move the same wire could be actively working for a long time. I've had the same arch wire in on top since the end of June 2008 and my next appointment is 31 March 2009, that means I'll have had the same wire for 9 months. This does not concern me at all as my ortho always checks the movement since the previous app and said the wire needs to stay in longer as its still working (it's just my darn teeth that move so slowly). So I doubt it's anything to worry about, however if you are still concerned about it, bring it up with your ortho and perhaps s/he can put your mind at ease.

sirwired

#7 Post by sirwired »

In my first round of braces a couple of decades ago (I think this may have even predated modern archwires), my wire was only changed out a couple of times a year. I got new ligs every visit, but rarely a wire.

SirWired

starzz

#8 Post by starzz »

The new modern materials used in archwires can last for months and months. My ortho sometimes takes them out and bends them. However there was one time in treatment when my teeth were stubborn with movement and the solution was to replace with a new wire of same thickness. Specifically when I was to change from medium to heaviest weight wires they got the new top one in but the bottom wouldn't fit...tried again the next 3 appointments (4-6 weeks apart) and still failed to fit...finally switched to new medium weight wire on bottom and then fit the heavy one at subsequent appointment.

TigerLily

#9 Post by TigerLily »

I had new wires every 6-8 weeks for 12 months, then I went into 'rectangular' wires, I had a new set on each arch, these got changed 8 weeks later. Then my ortho said these were probably my last wires, although I'd be braced for about 6 months more. She did take the upper out and put some bends in it and then put it back in. She wouldn't skimp so I'm sure it's fine. I got new wire ties of course.