Time between adjustment ?!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Ice runner

Time between adjustment ?!

#1 Post by Ice runner »

Hi everybody,

I know that subject was probably discussed for xxx times but I hope you will still help me.....

Today I had my first adjustment, and I have to say it was not that paintfully as I thought it will be. I got my braces on in December 08, so 2 months went by. I have 2th adjustment in May 09. That means around 12 weeks?! :? :shock: Is that normal ?
I have "tradicional" braces, not damon or something like that. And I got braces for free, insurance company is paying the treatment, is that maybe the reason why I dont get that much attention? :lol:

Thanks a lot,
Ice runner

Andromeda

#2 Post by Andromeda »

I think time between adjustments has a lot to do with the type of braces you have. My ortho usually does 8-12 weeks between appointments. The kind of wire my ortho uses will keep pulling your teeth for months and months before you need a new one, whereas some other types of archwires will need to be switched out much sooner. If you don't need anything new like a powerchain or springs or elastics, etc, then there's really no reason to keep going back every month. Sometimes I would have an appointment and it would be like 30 seconds long because all they would do is look at my mouth and say I was doing good without actually doing anything to my teeth and then send me on my way.

I have been going in more frequently lately (every 4-6 weeks) because I am almost done with treatment. Got them on in March 2008 and should be getting them off in April 2009 :D

I really wouldn't think that you are getting a lower quality of treatment just because your appointments are further apart so don't worry! You can ask your ortho what his/her plan for your treatment is and maybe that will help you see reasons for the longer period of time between adjustments. And keep taking pics of your teeth at least every month because then you can compare and will see that your teeth are still moving even though you haven't been in for a visit in a few months. Good luck Ice runner!

UGHBRACES

#3 Post by UGHBRACES »

hehe weather you pay for it or insurance does, it doesn't matter to your ortho as he still gets the same amount of money.