Help?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

gemini2009

Help?

#1 Post by gemini2009 »

Hi basically I have been trying to find out about this procedure as much as I can from all the posts on here but nothing quite gives me all the answers I need so I am hoping I can find them all by posting my own subject.
I had a retainer at about the age of 14? This widenened my top jaw from left to right. Then I was given another retainer which was attached to my top jaw and came down to meet the bottom jaw and bring my lower jaw forward. I was a couple of weeks away from getting "train tracks" when a boy made a comment about my brace as it was so unsightly and very hard for me to talk. As I am very self conscious as it is this just knocked me for six and resulted in me no longer wearing the retainer. WORST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE! Anway the orthodontist told me I hadn't been wearing the retainer which I obviously knew and tried to shock me into wearing it by saying that I would have to have surgery as an adult otherwise. At the time being 14 all I thought was great I won't have to wear the retainer.

So now I have 2 front teeth with gap sticking out slightly and my lower jaw very far back. All I think about is my appearance! I cannot speak to new people through embarrassment and I'm always worried in case people make comments! Obviously I do not want to live like this anymore!!! I haven't even been to the dentist since this happened!!

Basically I just need to know what I can do??? And what will happen if I have surgery? Do I have to wear a cage? Please help?

gemini2009

help

#2 Post by gemini2009 »

Im noticing lots of you are looking but not replying! Just any thoughts please?

ohmyjaw

#3 Post by ohmyjaw »

Basically what you need to do is make an appointment with an orthodontist and find out what your treatment options are. Each person's case is unique, so none of us can tell you exactly what will happen. But if you are a candidate for surgery, then yes, you will have to get braces.

I know it's hard when you hate your appearance - I have been there. Going to get a consultation is the best way to start the process rolling - you will get the information you need, and can go from there.

gemini2009

?

#4 Post by gemini2009 »

So I dont need a dentist to refer me I can go straight to an orthodontist? And if you have jaw surgery will u have to wear a cage or can there be times when u won't need one cos that is what is worrying me! Im not bothered bout traintracks at all

ohmyjaw

#5 Post by ohmyjaw »

I don't know what you mean by a cage.

I don't know if you need a referral - it depends where you live. If you are not sure, just call up any orthodontist and ask.

By the way, if you do get orthodontic treatment, you will need to see a dentist anyways, because your teeth need to be clean and healthy!

gemini2009

?

#6 Post by gemini2009 »

I mean like headgear?

ohmyjaw

#7 Post by ohmyjaw »

Um, no I think that would be pretty unlikely. Usually you wouldn't have to get headgear if you're having surgery, as far as I know. It would be a bit redundant, I think. But I am not an orthodontist, so I can't offer total certainty on that one.

gemini2009

?

#8 Post by gemini2009 »

I guess Im just scared to even pick up the phone and go for it even though I know its all I think about? Especially reading stories about people who have had their jaws sawn in half and metals plates?

Have you had an operation?

gemini2009

?

#9 Post by gemini2009 »

I guess Im just scared to even pick up the phone and go for it even though I know its all I think about? Especially reading stories about people who have had their jaws sawn in half and metal plates?

Have you had an operation?

descantus

#10 Post by descantus »

Hi Gemini,

I think most people on this board have been in this type situation, and know that thinking about the whole process is scary and a bit overwhelming. I would advise taking one step at a time - one visit to an orthdontist certainly does not mean you're getting any surgery done, you might decide it's not for you, walk away and go on with your life.

Either way, forget the whole operation part for the moment and just look on your otho visit as a bit of info gathering, then you can go away and have a good think about what he's told you.

Thinking like this certainly helped me pick up the phone :D
Follow my story:
http://dentalpurgatory.blogspot.com/

[/url]

Emaciated

#11 Post by Emaciated »

There are other factors that may make the decision for you, such as the cost of the surgery, or the amount of vacation time needed to be out of work/school. People post on this board all the time who want this surgery more than anything but just can't make it happen due to insurance problems or work/school/family issues, etc.

You may walk into the ortho office, love everything you hear but discover that you can't afford the surgery anyway and insurance won't cover you because you failed to wear a retainer which negates the definition of "malformation" (or whatever BS excuse your insurance company comes up with) in which case you'll wish you had made the appointment years ago to save yourself the years of worrying about it.