When you first saw your brace what did you think?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sarah432blue

#31 Post by sarah432blue »

Hi I've only had mne on nearly three weeks now and felt like crying the first time I looked in the mirror, still not completely confident with smiling but when I'm with friends or people who make me laugh just haven't been able to stop myself from smiling showing metal and all! Think what's worse, smile before or smile with braces and at least now I'm self consious but it will improve. Good luck it is really hard as an adult! :D

Anna202

#32 Post by Anna202 »

I was upset mainly because the Herbst appliance was extremely awkward
in my mouth and I felt like my whole world was coming to an end. About 3 months later I was finally somewhat confident with the appliance, although the whole Herbst treatment was horrible. It's funny, I haven't heard many of many people who have had the Herbst.

Lisa65

#33 Post by Lisa65 »

Anna, KatieBug had a Herbst. She's got a blog in the Braces Stories section. I can't think of anyone else though.

Anna202

#34 Post by Anna202 »

Lisa65 wrote:Anna, KatieBug had a Herbst. She's got a blog in the Braces Stories section. I can't think of anyone else though.

Awesome! I'd think I'll go check it out. Thanks! :lol:

kaydee

#35 Post by kaydee »

I was quite impressed. I got the ceramics on top and metal on bottom, I was so impressed how particularly the ceramics looked. I was dying to show them off. I might add, Im a very self concsious person normally and I thought I was going to hate them. GO THE CERAMICS!!! :P

PuppySmiles

#36 Post by PuppySmiles »

What a great question!

I was pleased that my clear brackets weren't too bulky, but disappointed that they didn't do clear all the way around - on just the front six. Nobody had mentioned to me that it wouldn't be all of them.

Now, two months in, I'm very pleased and find them to be nice and subtle looking. :)

KLC

#37 Post by KLC »

I got clear tops and metal bottoms. My ortho put the brackets on first and then I came back a week later to get the wires put in.

My first thought was "what the #!$#* have I done?" and I will admit it, when I was safe and alone in my car, I did cry. :oops: I also did hide in my condo for about a day or so. By the 2nd day, I was so stir crazy, I had to get out and see people... I didn't care! :) 5 months later, I forget 95% of the time that I have them on. Just get a little shy around cameras :wink:

I know other people have mentioned how shocked they were when they noticed how crooked their teeth were because the brackets are all over the place. I will say, when your ortho shows you the "models" of the mouths with braces, and what they will look like.... sooooo misleading bc the plastic models all have super straight teeth lol!! But I guess this is something to look forward to!

All in all, it's not the least bit uncommon to have a different emotion every 5 minutes but I do think the worst part is waiting to get them on. You will see it's not nearly as bad as you think it will be, it might just take a day or two to get to this point!

Good luck!!!

CarlinaGrl

Shocked at first!

#38 Post by CarlinaGrl »

I was shocked at first because they didn't look like the ones on the set they show you as a sample, but I got used to them real fast! I was self-concious at first, but once people get over the initial shock of seeing them on you, they forget about them. I'm amazed at how fast they've moved my teeth. Don't get me wrong, I'll be glad to have them off, but I appreciate them so much for what they're doing for me!

switchblades

#39 Post by switchblades »

When I got mine on the first time, it was pretty much the happiest day of my life, to be honest. I was 13, and had been made fun of for my crooked teeth since I was about 6. I BEGGED my mother to get my braces on. Unfortunately, we should have asked whether or not the ortho was going to still be around for a while, because he took my braces off halfway through treatment and retired.

The second time, I had similar emotion about it, I wanted my teeth fixed, and it wasn't going to happen if I kept putting it off. I'm thrilled with how straight my teeth are getting already, and I smile WAY more in pictures!
Initial Consult: August 22nd, 2008
Upper Arch Bracketed: October 22nd, 2008
Lower Arch Bracketed: December 3rd, 2008
Debraced: October 15th, 2009

My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... sc&start=0

dissonance

#40 Post by dissonance »

When I first got a look at my new braces, I was definitely pleased with the sapphire ice clear brackets on the top! I'm not going to lie though - looking at my full smile (sapphire upper, metal lower) I was like "Oh my goodness, this is way different than how I expected they'd look and feel!" But overall, I was actually more excited and proud that I'd gone through with it. I wasn't upset at all like I expected I might be.

And when I walked out into the waiting room to show my husband, he surprised me - he had scheduled a consultation about his slightly crooked bottom teeth at the same time as I had my braces put on, and decided to get braces put on right then and there too! So I was actually more concerned with checking out his brace than worrying about my own!! :)

Even though I felt prepared for getting the braces, I still felt like they were much more bulky than I expected. I was also suprised that my bite was so funny - because of my overbite and the placement of the brackets my back molars didn't touch.

NOLA

#41 Post by NOLA »

I just got fitted with braces 2 days ago. I got ceramics on top and metal on the bottom. My mouth hurts. I have to re-learn how to eat as none of my teeth fit together like they did 2 days ago, and my speech sounds like I have had about 4 beers.

I don't like how they look but I knew that going in...the real test of how they look will be tonight when I go out with a girl for our second date. She saw me without braces when we met and when we had our first date. I never told her about my braces and she will find out tonight. I will let you know what she thinks!

beachmommy

#42 Post by beachmommy »

I cried.

Megan11

#43 Post by Megan11 »

"no me gustaaaaa"

But, It wasn't any worse than what I was expecting. Braces are braces.

Damon 3's
First 6 Clear/Metal

Jewles

#44 Post by Jewles »

I got ceramic uppers and metal lowers almost 2 weeks ago now and was mortified! my bottom teeth are small and very crowded so my whole bottom jaw just looks metal! I also got bent wires on top and bottom which made it look so much worse! 4 more weeks till i get straight wires and things wont be so bad :)
Im used to them now, i can eat and talk normally and 90% of the time i forget im even wearing them.... until i look in the mirror haha but at the end of the day i know its going to be worth it in the end!

AMiles

#45 Post by AMiles »

well I got my bottom braces on first and when I first so my smile after it didn't really bother me because my bottom lip ended up covering most of the bracket. But about an hour after getting them on I was upset. The brackets rubbed and chaffed, the wax wouldn't stay on, the loop of metal around my back teeth was ruff and was making the sides of my tongue bleed.

The top braces are what made me really freak out, they were big and bulky. I hated the feel of the metal, everything seemed sharp, the wax still wouldn't stick and this time they actually hurt. Up to this point the bottom braces had never hurt my teeth but these really did.

I really hated me braces.