cutting your own wire

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jjjmac

cutting your own wire

#1 Post by jjjmac »

Has anyone done this? I know it's not recommended... but it is a Saturday, I go to a dental school which is closed for the holidays, and we are having a snowstorm now and tomorrow, possibly Monday, so the regular dentists are closed...and I'm leaving for a week early Tuesday morning.... So I don't see how I can get in anywhere to have a professional cut it until at least the 29th. And it's too bad to leave it like this. I can gob wax on the end, but I can't eat with wax and when it comes off, this wire is too sharp and pokes out too far for me to eat anything.

If you've ever cut your own wire - what did you use to cut it and have any advice? It's really hard to see back there, esp. in my mouth. Oh, and I did try to use a pencil eraser to push it farther in and it just pierces the eraser. Also thought of trying to bend it, but the angle is pretty strange and I'm not sure which way I should bend it, if that's even possible?
Last edited by jjjmac on Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
First Ortho Consult: 6/12/08
4 premolars extracted: 11/4/08
Braced Upper & Lower w/TPA: 11/6/08
Debraced: 11/18/10

CactusZAF

#2 Post by CactusZAF »

Before you cut it, make sure it has not just "traveled" from the other side of your arch. If it has then work it back to a central position and you'll be sorted, if on the other hand it does need to be trimmed you'll need something like a small pair of side cutters or I've heard of some people who have used nail clippers (make sure they're clean before you put them in your mouth). I must warn you that this is a last resort, and can easily go horribly wrong if not done carefully, I would also only suggest this approach with one of the thinner (usually round) arch wires and definitely would not even consider trying to cut a thicker (rectangular) arch wire as you're likely to either just bend it out of shape (and possibly break a bracket off as well) or you could end up with a really sharp end that's likely to cut and poke your cheek.
Have you considered phoning your ortho and asking his/her advice?

Best of luck sorting it out, hope it works out alright!

jjjmac

#3 Post by jjjmac »

hmmm... okay, thanks for the info. I hadn't thought of using nail clippers. My wire is round, and it's not stainless steel (that comes next appointment), so I think it would be trimmable. I have sectional braces at this point, so they're a little odd. I did try pushing it forward and didn't have any success.

My ortho is a student and is not anywhere near school right now. The instructor should be around somewhere, but the only number I have to call is the school number...I could leave a message, but I don't know when or if anyone will be checking that -esp. with the weather like it is right now.

Lisa65

#4 Post by Lisa65 »

Nail clippers might do it if it's one of those thin round wires. Or you could try wire cutters (I've done it) but it's hard to get back there without cutting your cheek - and mind you don't swallow the cut-off bit!

bb

#5 Post by bb »

When I called my ortho's office regarding the same problem they actually asked if I could do it myself. Unfortunately there is no way I could manuver back there so I waited for an appt. to get it clipped.

jjjmac

#6 Post by jjjmac »

I think I managed to bend it slightly...cutting it was too difficult. :-/ It's almost bearable now - I just wish I wasn't going away next week to another state. arrgh. these things always happen at the worst times, eh?

CactusZAF

#7 Post by CactusZAF »

I've read about people sticking a blob of sugarless gum on the end of a really poky wire, perhaps this would help (at least until your cheek heals a bit) if you just leave it there between brushings.

jjjmac

#8 Post by jjjmac »

I can put something on the end and deal with it okay - but I can't eat with anything on the ends (wax, gum, or orthosil - I've tried all 3!) because it just comes off and I eat it. :-p (Now I have 2 ends poking out). They really should give you a tool to take home for when this happens! I've tried and I sure can't get in there to use fingernail scissors or small wire cutters. If it was on the bottom maybe, but both the troublesome ends are on the top.