When did you notice changes ?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Ice runner

When did you notice changes ?

#1 Post by Ice runner »

Hi everybody!
I am new in this page and I just got my braces couple of days ago. I am getting use on all that metal in my mouth. :)
I am wondering something....when will I be able to see some results ? I am nervous, I am looking in a mirror all the time, but no changes :(
I know it is too soon, so I am asking you when did you notice changes ?

Thanks, enjoy

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

3 days in for me.

jjjmac

#3 Post by jjjmac »

It took 2-3 weeks before I saw anything, and what I saw was just one tooth that has moved a hair. It's been about 8 weeks now and I haven't seen any other progress, not even on the one tooth that had moved a little before.

It seems like most people see changes pretty quickly in the beginning, but if you just got your braces a few days ago, I'd be patient. Often times an ortho won't start you out with the "heavy gear" or thickest wires because they know you're going to be in enough pain already just getting used to the stuff. They're putting in the thicker wire - stainless steel - on my second adjustment on 1/22 and we'll see how things progress then.
First Ortho Consult: 6/12/08
4 premolars extracted: 11/4/08
Braced Upper & Lower w/TPA: 11/6/08
Debraced: 11/18/10

kaydee

#4 Post by kaydee »

I have had my braces on since Dec 8th (so just under two weeks) and I had only noticed a small change and that was between 4 of the teeth I could never got floss in there very easy and now the space has opened right up and floss glides through. BUT, then my parents came over for lunch the other day and I had a fang that was right up the top of my gum and mum instantly noticed it had come right down. I then looked in the mirror and pulled out photos and OH MY GOODNESS had it moved. Its come down prob about 5 mm or about half a tooth length. I dont know how I missed it, but Im guessing I didnt see it as I have been looking at the teeth 10 times a day. Photos are definitely the best way to jusdge the movement.

Elspeth

#5 Post by Elspeth »

I've had my braces in for three days and already I can feel changes. My teeth on the right side seem to be touching more than they were before! Its very exciting.

artprincess

#6 Post by artprincess »

When I was younger (and my teeth were on the move quicker) I saw improvement in a few days!

saycheeese

#7 Post by saycheeese »

I saw minor changes within a week or two, but by around two months the changes were MAJOR. Since then, the movements have mostly been gradual. But apparently it's different for everyone, and your teeth not moving within a couple of days is completely normal and reasonable.

danish

#8 Post by danish »

as you look in the mirror every day you probably will not notice changes easily. Keep in mind that a tooth usually only moves about a millimeter per month during orthodontic movement. However, depending on the patient and the orthodontic mechanics used tooth movement may be more or less than 1mm.

A good way to keep track of results is to take monthly pics with a digital camera. At least this has worked for me and helped me stay motivated.

In my own experience I saw the most significant movement within the first months of my treatment (crowding - no bite problems - 4 premolar extractions).

Danish :)
metal braces on: 4 Oct 2007
Tx for: crowding
debonded on: 24 Jun 2009

total treatment time: 629 days

my journey ==> http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... highlight=

LMcD7

#9 Post by LMcD7 »

I saw changes within a few days on my lowers, but I had a central incisor extracted, so my teeth all moved to fill that space. I didn't notice any movement in my uppers (where I had the first pre-molar extracted) until I had a stainless steel wire placed there a few days ago at my first adjustment, and even then it's very subtle, only I would notice. Be patient, you'll see movement soon :)

PuppySmiles

#10 Post by PuppySmiles »

For me, I noticed my teeth feeling different before seeing any changes. Looking in the mirror, I couldn't see much difference but my tongue could definitely feel the difference! That was about a week after being braced.

The visual came a couple of weeks later.

But we're all so different! Let us know when you start noticing changes.

Brinky

#11 Post by Brinky »

Pictures are definately an awesome motivator, and does plenty of reassuring when it feels like nothing is happening.

I'm with puppysmiles, on noticing the teeth felt different before being able to actually see the difference: My bite is a shape-shifter, always surprising me with what teeth currently (or no longer) make contact. That would make me run for the camera~ yep! they really ARE moving :D

Take heart, they will move!