November Braces Poll

An archive of braces poll questions asked in previous years. This forum is read-only.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Has the recent downturn in the US and world economy affected your ability to pay for your treatment, or your plans for orthodontic treatment or jaw surgery?

Poll ended at Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:00 pm

Yes
6%
No
83%
I'm not sure
11%

Total votes: 84

bbsadmin

November Braces Poll

#1 Post by bbsadmin »

Braces are expensive, and many adults pay for the treatment out-of-pocket. Has the recent downturn in the US and world economy affected your ability to pay for your treatment, or your plans for orthodontic treatment or jaw surgery?
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

my3sons

#2 Post by my3sons »

We're paying for more and more out of pocket to keep up with monthly maintenance for the kids' & my asthma, as well as seeing a rise in our grocery bill and such. We've altered our lifestyle quite a bit to stay ahead of the crisis, but we're still saving less liquid assets, which is what we'd be using to pay for my treatment.

catfish

#3 Post by catfish »

We've had to make adjustments in our spending, but so far it hasn't impacted our ability to make my orthodontic payments. We're putting less into savings each month, eating out less, driving less, that sort of thing.

Oddly enough, one of the biggest impacts I've noticed other than gas prices, is the increase in the cost of bird seed. We're still feeding the little guys (wild birds), but it's taking more of the budget than it used to.
Click on WWW to see my braces story.

August 16, 2007 - Braced on top
January 3, 2008 - Braced on bottom

iBorg

#4 Post by iBorg »

My treatment is paid for after my 16 installments. I am very aware of medical expenses now and am quite glad that we will be able to stay with my parents after my jaw surgery.

With that being said, it would affect my decision to start if I wasn't already wired. If my insurance wasn't covering my surgery, I'd be looking at a compromise outcome.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

Candy

hard for us, but still going to do it!!!

#5 Post by Candy »

The decision to get braces was a hard one financially, I have wanted them for many many years, and after having 3 kids, I felt as if there was never a time to justify spending that much money on myself. I am now taking the plunge and hoping for the best. On Jan 1st, our paychecks will be less because we are electing half of the money on our medical spending account. I am a little nervous about that, as it is not NOT CHANGABLE!! Definite incentive to go through with it! The rest of the money is coming from the tax refund. We are needing to pay for the cost in full (dental insurance does not cover braces) so that our wonderful Orthodontist can give us a 7% discount, along with the family discount (our daughter just got hers off!). It is going to make things a little harder next year, but can't wait any longer, the more years I wait, the longer I will be away from the beautiful smile I dream of!
31 years old--getting braced in JAN 09! wahooey!

Lisa65

#6 Post by Lisa65 »

Fortunately I finished paying for my treatment a year ago.

dimeech

#7 Post by dimeech »

NO. I take advantage of my Flexible Spending plan from work, so I know I will get reimbursed and get the tax benefits, too.

landela

#8 Post by landela »

Currently I am doing fine with my ortho payments, last payment should be in January. However, in August I dropped my insurance and picked up my husbands (we work for the same company, so same plan, same coverage) because I went part time to go back to school. The financial person at my ortho quit, and they just hired someone new this month. Originally, we signed to be responsible for only $1500 of my treatment and my insurance is supposed to be responsible for the rest. My ortho said they will bill insurance for my braces, but they have to do it from my original banding date, so i don't know if insurance will notice they already paid April - August for my braces and deny the claim, or if they will just pay the remaining balance. If insurance doesn't pay for the rest of my braces, then that is another $1500+ my husband and I will unexpectedly be responsible for, and will honestly have to struggle to pay.
Laynie

Braced - April 24, 2008
Last adjustment - December 16, 2008
Trangle elastics - August 26 - Current (only at night from 11/11/2008 - Current)
Treatment end date - January 28, 2009

Click link to read my braces story:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 532#258532 - Updated 11/11/2008 with pictures

ldbraced

#9 Post by ldbraced »

My partner and I pretty much budgeted to get the braces. I was going to purchase a new vehicle this Fall but opted for the braces instead. We already run a pretty tight ship so it isn't cutting into our savings at all. While insurance doesn't cover the cost, I am blessed with a very good job and a stable income.

PiscesFish1969

#10 Post by PiscesFish1969 »

No - before i decided to do this, a set up a specific savings account for nothing but ortho payments. In 2009 I will take advantage of a flexible spending account for the first time, which will actually result in a net savings of my costs.
Hubby got his Harley - 8/07
Started researching Orthos - 9/07
Lower Pre-molar extractions 8/6/08
Braced on 8/13/08 - 39 years old
Debraced on 12/6/2010 - 41 years old
Looking forward to the next 41+ years, this time with an improved smile!

Toni

#11 Post by Toni »

I said no but because of the economy my husband and I are cutting back on other thngs for the next year while my braces are being paid for.
For example, I have pretty much given up driving my car and now walk or bike everywhere except for the once a week trip to the grocery store.
We also took advantage of the fexible spending program as well.
**Brace Day was September 22 - Ouch!**
**Member of the AW TADA club**

dangerdude

#12 Post by dangerdude »

I am finally getting around to having braces because of the terrible state of our economy. I figure I better do it now while I still have a good job. I’m getting mine at the start of the new year once the FSA kicks in. I’m going to pay for it all upfront so whatever happens, I’ll have decent teeth :D

jaks

#13 Post by jaks »

I've wanted braces for a long time, so I planned for it and fortunatley I'm single so with the economic situation being what it is I can still comfortably afford my ortho payments.. :D

together

#14 Post by together »

No. I just got braced. Paid in full. Have one to two surgeries coming up and will pay for those in full. No insurance.

Strangely, I am putting off buying a new TV and sofa even though I have the money. I might save a bundle on going out of business sales.

GiovanntiLawing

#15 Post by GiovanntiLawing »

I checked no. Paid for them in full when I was offered 15% discount to pay them off.
Giovannti. 26 years old with braces..

http://bracesandthecity.blogspot.com/

2nd Time w/Braces
Metal-First time 10 years ago
Ceramic-(Second time) Top Arch Installed 7/9/2008, Bottom Arch Installed 9/10/2008

Next Adjustment 11/25/2008

Word of advice: WEAR YOUR RETAINERS!!