What Do Springs Do??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

signingsunflower

What Do Springs Do??

#1 Post by signingsunflower »

I got braced last week and the same day I bit off one of my upper brackets because I have a lower tooth that was hitting it. Anyway, I went back to the ortho today and he took the bracket off my wire and put a spring on. What does the spring do?

Here's a picture of what I mean:

Check out my blog by clicking on www.
Initial Consult/Molds: 9/10/08
8 Spacers: 10/17/08
Brace Day: 10/24/08
First Adjustment: 12/5/08
Sentence: 2-3 years

DireWire

#2 Post by DireWire »

As an engineer, I'd say they can either push or pull.

Pulling teeth together doesn't seem to make any sense in your case and can be achieved simpler and cheaper through elastics, so I guess the springs push the teeth apart to create space.

Is it related to the tooth below that is not biting in correctly? He'll need to find some place in the upper arch when he goes in line.

DireWire
Bite plate gone for good after @3 mths

dimeech

#3 Post by dimeech »

he coil/spring is there to move the teeth on either side to create more space so that upper tooth can be re-aligned (and also so that the bracket can be put back on when that happens so the bottoms don't knock it off again).

funshine

#4 Post by funshine »

Springs work really fast too. You'll be surprised at the quick progress!

signingsunflower

#5 Post by signingsunflower »

Thank you for helping me understand. I bet you are right...he is probably trying to make room so he can put a molar band around that tooth and then re-attach a bracket.

And man....you are kidding about it speeding things along. Tonight I feel a TON of pressure in between those two teeth where the spring is out. I have TMJ pretty bad so it's making my jaw on that side crazy!

At least I know it's working though!
Check out my blog by clicking on www.
Initial Consult/Molds: 9/10/08
8 Spacers: 10/17/08
Brace Day: 10/24/08
First Adjustment: 12/5/08
Sentence: 2-3 years