help! - Bleeding

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

krzygrlm

help! - Bleeding

#1 Post by krzygrlm »

I have had my uppers braced for 3 months with no major problems - just some minor pinching - then last night when I flossed there was some light bleeding - i thought no big deal I had'nt flossed in a couple of days (I know, bad me!) Then this morning, when I went to brush my gums bled so bad it turned my toothbrush red! Do I contact my my ortho (who is 2 hours away) or do I contact my regular dentist. Am I overreacting? Thanks for any help, love the site!!

dimeech

#2 Post by dimeech »

Hi- I would keep up w/the flossing/brushing routine and if you have a waterpik (or similar device) use it, too. The area may or may not be a little ouchy, but it should clear up if you're vigilant for several days. You can also always try the warm water + salt rinse or Listerine, if you're into mouthwash. Good luck!

pearls

#3 Post by pearls »

My teeth pretty much bleed every single time I brush. I mainly brush morning and night. It's mostly just bleeding from an area from my front bottom tooth, and it only bleeds a little bit. I'm not too worried about it because I guess it's only bleeding because and the movement and pressure on my gums?

Yours will probably settle down though. It sounds like maybe your flossing has aggrevated the gum, compromising it's integrity. It probably just needs some time to heal :D
Spacers in: 9/4/2008
Braces on:16/4/2008
Sentanced for: 18 months
Metal upper and lowers

Filip

#4 Post by Filip »

Sounds like you have something stuck close to the gums, creating bacteria. This can lead to Gingivitis. Just happened to me.

The cure is TO CLEAN BETTER (not to avoid cleaning the sensitive/bleeding area). You should use floss around your molar bands. Use a floss threader to get behind the wires. Clean "up and behind" the molar bands, easy ot get food stuck around there. Use floss inbetween/around the sensitive area. Use an interproxy brush with Chlorhexidine gel at the gumline at the sensitive area. Be gentle but make sure you get into the area where the tooth connects to the gumline. That's where the bacteria like to spend time. Bleeding can be a symptom of progressing Gingivitis.

I've been cleaning well for a week with interproxy brush and gel. The bleeding has ceased.

Get a Waterpick if you don't have one. A must-have for braces.

RPE for 5 months
In: 08-Feb-07 Out: 20-Jul-07

Molar rotator for 2 months
In: 24-Jul-07 Out: 14-Sept-07

braceface418

#5 Post by braceface418 »

I had bleeding around my lower front incisor, which has a lot of gum recession because the tooth has moved so far forward (on its own and pre-braces). The extra pressure from braces has made it more prone to bleeding, though, and any movement seems to amplify the bleeding around my gums.

Anyway, I switched to an extra-soft toothbrush that I purchased online. I believe it is meant for people undergoing chemo (mouth and gum ulcers are a common side effect of chemo unfortunately), but it allows me to clean around that tooth without irritating my gums as much. They don't bleed when I brush anymore, and only occasionally do when flossing. I also avoid using my waterpik around that area entirely.