3 months post op-self pity alert-AND THEY ARE COMING OFF!!!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ema27

3 months post op-self pity alert-AND THEY ARE COMING OFF!!!

#1 Post by ema27 »

Hi i will apologise in advance as this post is likely to be full of self pity...... :x
I am nearly 3 months post op and i am feeling depressed.I am still swollen on the one side-it is noticeable and the surgeon has told me there is a good chance it will stay that way for quite a while if not forever as it was the way the bone was broken.
for the past month i have had awful skin mainly around the chin area very spotty that nothing will improve it.iIt almost looks like teenage acne.I have power stains on the front teeth now which were clear but after a curry the other night they almost glow in the dark....
My confidence has took a battering and i feel so ugly.
:cry: .
I have always had a low self image of my self but i was foolishly thinking this would help me immensley.When i look in the mirror i see straighter teeth but so many different issues that i never had before...
i hated the way i looked before so ithought any thing would be an improvement but thats not the case -i still hate the way i look...
sorry for the awful amount of self pity-someone please reassure mr that i wont feel like this forever.....please......
Last edited by ema27 on Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Court84

#2 Post by Court84 »

Everyone needs to vent sometime. I'm not really liking my results so far. I'll be 3 weeks post-op Monday, and even though I'm not really swollen anymore, my results do not look that different than before surgery. It seems so many people have such good after stories, but I don't think I'm going to be one of those. I'm sorry about your swelling.. if I were you, I would find out exactly what happened during surgery, and see if there is anything you can do.

Kerry

#3 Post by Kerry »

hey babes dont worry im with you on the power chain thing too i have them on top and bottom and i had a curry on the first day and mine are luminous too !

i would love to give you a hug so il send yo ua virtual one [@] like my little make shift hug lol

what do they mean about the swelling and the bone cut ? it isnt your bone sticking out is it ? is it purely just swelling in that area if so why do they think it would stay like that ??

If it is just swelling im sure it will go down eventually, just keep your chin up. i had another op uh hum wont say what on here but the surgeon told me swelling can sometime last a few month so lets hope it will die down for you xxx
Imagewisdom teeth removed under GA nov07 * Braced 8/2/08 * 2 premolars removed Apr08 * Adjustment 4 rebonding, 4 molar bands & new wire 4/7/08 * 31Jul wire change * 28 Aug last wire fitted and lower powerchain put on. 29th May moulds and x rays. 31st July Surgery date :-)

Nadan

#4 Post by Nadan »

I can definitely sympathise with the outbreak of spots because i had them also for 2 weeks in the beginning. I also had very greasy skin but it all dissapeared soon after (I don't know what caused it but I heard its normal after surgery) I get people tell me that my swelling has gone all the way down when its obviously and clearly still there, but I just laugh it off. I'm only 3 weeks post op but want my swelling to dissapear sooo badly. I tend to laugh and talk a lot which I heard increases the swelling so maybe being miserable will do the trick lol! But you have to remember that it will take a complete 6 months for your swelling to go down completely...so give it a little bit more time.

Anyway I reckon that you also need to find out what exactly happened in your surgery. Speak to your orthodontist to clear these worrying issues...but dont worry, everything will be okay...you've pulled through the surgery...the hard bit is over...now you have to sit back and wait for the recover to take its shape.

phil

#5 Post by phil »

ema27,

First of all, what you are experiencing is perfectly normal. All of it. You are not alone!

There is a funny thing that happens to many of us who go through with orthognathic surgery--we think that our faces will be perfect after surgery, and start to notice all sorts of little things afterwards that we never paid attention to before.

I went through that for a while, and I even went through a period where I did not like to look in the mirror at all. I didn't recognize myself!

Feelings are funny things. You know what I read somewhere? Emotional states typically last about ninety seconds tops, if we simply observe them, and let them pass, without reacting to them.

That may sound funny, but you might try that out the next time you're feeling negative about your situation. Just sit back, and observe the feeling, let it run its course, and notice what happens to it.

I also am a big believer in people who have gone through orthognathic surgery seeing a counselor, therapist, psychologist, or someone else who can listen to them and help them sort things out, and maybe see things from a different perspective.

Of course, while you're at it, you might as well REALLY ENJOY your pity party--make the best of it--bake a cake and wear a silly hat if it helps

:lol:

(pardon my odd sense of humor)

All the best, and hang in there. You'll find your way, I know.

Be well, and at peace,

Phil
There are no ordinary moments.
Check out my blog! http://pcadams.wordpress.com/

knockuout7788

#6 Post by knockuout7788 »

face may not be perfect but i have seen some people with GREAT results :)

ema27

#7 Post by ema27 »

Hi all thanks for all your replies-it really is what you need when your down-so KERRY and MERYATEN many thanks for your vitual hug-i really needed one :D
Regarding my surgery i dont think that that any thing went wrong so to speak. i had my lower jaw moved forward and broken in 5 places.This was needed as it was the best way to move my jaw into a correct position.I have heard peope were in surgery for a couple of hours i was in surgery for over 5.I am hoping so much that the swelling does go down as i said before there is a definite change visually from my left to my right.My surgeon and ortho have said that its soft tisue and that because of the work that was done it coukld very possibly stay swollen...
NADAN-Sorry that you experienced spotty ness -but at least im not alone :? Funny thing was i had perfect skin after surgery up to about a month-then it started getting worse ..and worse...somedays i see an improvement then 2 days later bam its back to stage one again...
PHIL you speak alot of common sense and you are so right about feelings-i think i need to get things in to priority.Just last week a family who i knew was killed in a car crash -all 6 of them gone just like that.thats when i think -for god sake im being so silly about all my little moanings when life can go just as quick as that..Saying that we all have a grumble after all thats what us british are known for .... :D
I next see the ortho on thursday when im hoping he can reassure me alittle more-oh and change them bloody powerchains-i must remember to never eat curry whilst wearing clear powerchains i swaer if you switch the lights off all you will see is this bright yellow light coming from my mouth... :oops: Anyway thanks again for letting me vent and many thanks for all the kind words-i promise my next post will be a positive one.. :D

gatorseh

#8 Post by gatorseh »

Something my surgeons said to me before my surgery is something I have kept in mind throughout recovery: "Go ahead and be excited for your results, but remember that we are only human and we can only do our best job. Not everyone has a perfect face and jaw so expect a few 'imperfections' here and there."

And you know what, it is true. I find that because of everything I've gone through the first thing I do when looking at a person is examine their jaw. You'll be surprised how many people have all kinds of little quirks about their jaws/bite. Things nobody else in the world notices except our surgeons, orthodontists, and those of us with a picky and insecure eye. I'm sure anything you are upset about is something only you are noticing. So when you look in the mirror and feel discouraged keep that in mind!

Also, while it may be said often, confidence is such a big thing with your self esteem and how others perceive you. Look in the mirror and love what you see because it is what you have. When you truly feel good about yourself that radiates out to those around you.

Chin up! :)

ohmyjaw

#9 Post by ohmyjaw »

I was in surgery for several hours as well. 6 hours if I remember correctly. And my swelling took over 6 months to go away, so be patient, it will get better!

Kerry

#10 Post by Kerry »

ema i am so sorry you where close to the family who passed, i read the story in the paper and cried myself so must be really hard for you knowing them personally. It seems like its just a very bad time for you at the moment and its not just the surgery making you feel sad and that is totally understandable. Keep your head high things will get better just dont put too much pressure on yourself at this early stage . x
Imagewisdom teeth removed under GA nov07 * Braced 8/2/08 * 2 premolars removed Apr08 * Adjustment 4 rebonding, 4 molar bands & new wire 4/7/08 * 31Jul wire change * 28 Aug last wire fitted and lower powerchain put on. 29th May moulds and x rays. 31st July Surgery date :-)

ema27

#11 Post by ema27 »

Hi all i am beginning to feel less depressed-i am not everyday looking in the mirror crying or anything.When i look in the mirror i like my sparkling eyes,its just the insecurities of my jaw. to anyone else i dont seem freaky looking or anything just a normal looking girl in braces-(older than the average round where i live) but still a normal looking girl
i guess my expetations were high and at the minute that hasnt been reached-i know swelling can recede many months later so i am hoping thats the case..
MERYATEN-no idea why it may stay that way but GATORSEH right my surgeon had said that they will do their best to align everything correctly and to give me the correct chin suited for my face-i guess im not too excited about the look they chose...my opinions may change as time goes on-heres hoping....i certainly would not go through it all again to alter anything one surgery was enough thanks :)
On a personal note KERRY i was not that close to the stathams but knew them well.the shock of a family gone just like that is un imaginable especially when there nothing they could have done to prevent it..My hearts go out to all close family and the only thing we all take comfort is it that they all went together instantly.

Kerry

#12 Post by Kerry »

Ema :P

glad your feeling better now, it can only get even better from now on hey . x

loulou123

#13 Post by loulou123 »

Ema, sorry im so late in replying and glad your already feeling bit more cheerful.

I felt exactly as you did after surgery, even now if im honest i love my teeth 100% but am still not sure if i like the new shape of my face.

As for the swelling i still have some on one side now 10months+ afterwards, but it has nearly gone and is only visible from certain angles, so im sure that even if some of the swelling remains for you longterm, that it will still improve yet.

Hope you continue to feel better - big hug.

Braces on 11th June 2006,~ BSSO and Wisdom tooth removal 11th February 2008,~ Plate Removal 14th May 2008,~ Braces off 28th August 2008.

http://adultwithbraces.blogspot.com/

FuzzyPants

#14 Post by FuzzyPants »

Ema,

I am glad that you are feeling a bit better. Your jaw was broken in five places, so it is not surprising that you have some lingering swelling. I too am battling stained powerchains and acne (as well as fine lines and grey hair - but that is for another forum! :) ).
Braced October 17, 2007
BSSO and Lefort August 13, 2008
De-braced November 24, 2008

ema27

#15 Post by ema27 »

thanks lou-lou and fuzzy pants for replying. :D lou-lou i suppose we have to learn to love our new faces although i am finding that pretty hard at the mo...
Fuzzy pants- ha im afraid i am battling the same fine lines and grey hair as you are -but its amazing the difference hair dye and concealer does.... :D
i see the ortho on thursday so hopefully he will cheer me up....