Frustrated with the swelling

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

gatorseh

Frustrated with the swelling

#1 Post by gatorseh »

Earlier this week my swelling seemed to have gone down almost entirely. The only bit I had left was little parts in my cheeks that I could notice and the people who know me could. It seems over the past two days it has gone up and my cheeks are more puffy now. :( Is this a normal part of the healing process? I just assumed once it went down it would stay down.

I am three weeks post-op, by the way.

tortor

#2 Post by tortor »

i am a little over 2 months post op and my face is still swollen in some places. noticably so on some days. its different for everyone i guess but its still so frusterating considering how long ago my surgery was. I seem to have alot of swelling in my nose too, because my nose seems bigger than usual..but my os and my ortho both said that it can take up to 6 months before residual swelling goes away completely.

FuzzyPants

#3 Post by FuzzyPants »

I'm also still swelling. My cheeks feel thick and I still have to be careful while chewing so I don't bite them.
Braced October 17, 2007
BSSO and Lefort August 13, 2008
De-braced November 24, 2008

kdc26

#4 Post by kdc26 »

I am almost two months post op and am having the same issue with swelling. Usually when I wake up in the morning I am fine but by the afternoon I am swollen again. I believe it is because during sleep your jaw is resting but once up you are using it for talking(at least I am). My surgeon told me that is totally normal and it will be like that for a long time.

Court84

#5 Post by Court84 »

I'm 15 days post-op today and I still have swelling on my right side. The numbness gets me more than anything..it's SO aggravating! I notice after I talk or laugh for a bit, I notice the swelling coming and going. It's just one of those humps you have to just roll over, I'm learning.

Svensk Tiger

#6 Post by Svensk Tiger »

Absolutely normal, I was like this for up to probably 8 weeks or so post-surgery. I do sympathise, I remember how frustrating it was.
Metal upper and lower: 6th Sep. 2005
Quad helix in: 1st Dec. 2005
Quad Helix out: 31st March 2006
Surgery (upper/lower/genio): 11th Nov. 2006
Braces off: 17th March 2007
Under chin liposculpture and fat transplant to cheeks: 20th October 2007

scrappyblue

#7 Post by scrappyblue »

I'm no expert, but I have had 2 separate jaw surgeries and to me 3 weeks seems like it should be going down to just about normal by now. I had my last surgery on Oct 22, so I'm 11 days past now and I'm just a tad swollen, though if somebody didn't know me they probably wouldn't notice.
Drink water .. drink water ... drink water ... like lots of it, and sleep with your head elevated. both do help.
to me the swelling was the worst part of it all, so I feel your pain
good luck

Thathrill

#8 Post by Thathrill »

yeah after 2 weeks the swelling usually go down dramatically. but most of the swelling lingers for quite some time. Expect the swelling to fluctuate over the next month or so. it will definitely get better
Brace date: 5/2/2007
Debanding date: 1/14/2009
Ceramic Braces: 20 months
Currently in clear Essix retainers at night

My Blog: http://jjfan1.blogspot.com

Thathrill

#9 Post by Thathrill »

double post
Brace date: 5/2/2007
Debanding date: 1/14/2009
Ceramic Braces: 20 months
Currently in clear Essix retainers at night

My Blog: http://jjfan1.blogspot.com

swollenface

swelling

#10 Post by swollenface »

How much swelling is expected? On the 1st day after OP the swelling was not too bad. On the 2nd day my face seemed to have exploded! Is this normal. I'm afraid my stitches on my upper jaw will let go.