New girl here...8 days Post-Op today.

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Court84

New girl here...8 days Post-Op today.

#1 Post by Court84 »

Hi all. I came across your website about 3 weeks ago, amd I just want to say it was very helpful in easing my mind about my Orthognathic surgery. I had my surgery on October 6th, upper and lower with bone graft. The reason for my surgery was that when I would smile, the tips of my top teeth would show only..you could not see any gum at all and you could see all the bottom teeth. It has made me depressed most of my life, including the fact that I'm in therapy right now. I could never laugh with friends without covering my face and I haven't smiled in a picture in over 6 years. ( I'm 24)..

The OS said the surgery went great and the swelling has mostly gone away, but lingering in the lower jaw. I still have a numb chin, upper and lower lip and part of my nose, though. He said that my bite was "perfect" and he didn't want to band me yesterday. I go back to see him Monday (the 20th)..

I noticed this morning that my face was swollen a little more than yesterday, and when I try to smile I can see my upper gums now, but I am struggling a bit. My teeth seem a little more receded that even yesterday. With his ok, I tried to eat some scrambled eggs, but only ate 3 bites..I'm really just able to eat soup, due to the numbness. I make a mess with anything else. I have been sleeping on my back, head propped the best I can, and following ALL directions..I just wanted to ask if there is a chance my top jaw is receding again, or am I just paranoid and need to give it the weeks to heal? I hate to call his office today, and you guys have been so helpful to others, I hope you can give me advice. You can see all my teeth now when I talk..including upper gums. This is ecxiting for me, and I hope it gets better with the smile. THanks for taking the time to read! :)

Court84

#2 Post by Court84 »

I also wanted to point out that the OS took out my splint about 3 days after surgery..and like I mentioned, no bands. I'm not sure what's going on with that.

iBorg

#3 Post by iBorg »

I'm waiting for surgery so I can't give you post advice. I have read several people suggest that you sleep as upright as possible. Just having your head propped up may not be enough to keep the swelling down.

I hope you can get answers on Monday but if you feel like things are not progressing, you may want to move up your appointment.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

gatorseh

#4 Post by gatorseh »

I'm 18 days post-op today and I've been sleeping upright since the surgery... my swelling went down really fast. Even my surgeons were really impressed.

My swelling did go up again though after I started soft chew- maybe that has something to do with it? After I eat something that I really chew now (like macaroni and cheese as opposed to jello) I ice my face and it seems to help a lot.

And as far as smiling goes, I can smile with my mouth closed with no issue, but when I try to show teeth it looks like I have some sort of creepy half-smile, half-creepy grin going on. You can barely see my upper teeth let alone gums. It just takes a while for everything to settle and heal up... I would not worry about it 8 days out!

Don't be afraid to call your OS' office though! My surgeons are very used to getting calls from me. :D

Court84

#5 Post by Court84 »

Thank you both for the replies! :)

OzzysMom

#6 Post by OzzysMom »

Hi Court84, I am 6 days post-op today. I can tell you that the changes from day to day are remarkable. It´s probably just a part of the healing process for you but if you are concerned about it, don´t hesitate to call your OS office.
Wishing you an easy recovery
October 8, 2008 Lefort1(6mm impaction), BSSO, Genioplasty, Turbinectomies, Partial septoplasty, gum recontoring

PuppySmiles

#7 Post by PuppySmiles »

WELCOME!!! And best wishes in your speedy recovery.

FuzzyPants

#8 Post by FuzzyPants »

Hi Court, welcome to AW. I'm almost 9 weeks post-op and there are still days when I'm puffy in the jowls (or maybe I have jowls and have been to afraid to admit it until now :D ). The swelling does fluctuate from day to day. And it does take weeks to smile naturally again and not look like you're smirking. Hope you have a good recovery.
Braced October 17, 2007
BSSO and Lefort August 13, 2008
De-braced November 24, 2008

Court84

#9 Post by Court84 »

THANK YOU ALL! I really appreciate the advice. Unless I notice anything else, I'm just going to wait until my Monday appt. I go back to resume Orthodontic care on November 9th, as long as the OS gives the OK.

I do have a question.. I am still having numbness in my lower lip and my chin is just completley numb. I asked my OS about this, and he said that it can take up to 3 months. He did reassure me that he DID NOT cut my main nerve and that is was still intact. But, I'm so numb in my lower lip/chin, I can't close my bottom lip. Anyone else going through this? Again, I'm probably just being impatient..today is 9 days post-op.

mannab271

#10 Post by mannab271 »

Hey Court!! Glad to see everything is coming along well!! Hang in there!!

I'm 9 weeks post op and I'm still numb in my chin and lower lip! I have tingles and pins and needles and sensations of cold so that's positive!!! Be patient...everything is a long process of healing! Stay rested! At 8 days I just wanted my swelling to go away completely!!

gatorseh

#11 Post by gatorseh »

I'm 3 weeks out today and numb from under my left eye down my cheek (half of my nose too) all the way through my entire chin and bottom lip. Also numb inside my mouth! I've been assured it should come back since my nerve was just moved and not cut in any way. Just be patient! :)

Polly

#12 Post by Polly »

I was numb from just under the eyes to the bottom of my chin for ages, it was so weird but the feeling did come back eventually. The tell tale signs are when the pins and needle feeling starts so don't worry it's perfectly normal.

I was like you Court and struggled with eating (slurping :lol: ) I found having a mirror handy to help me direct the food where it should be.

Let us know how you get on on Monday

Polly :D

Davide

#13 Post by Davide »

I have a question for you Court. You mentioned that when you smiled just the tips of your upper teeth showed, and your lip completely covers the rest of them. I have pretty much the same problem, and I am just as self-conscious as you were.
Wich part of your surgery corrects this problem? And can you already notice any improvement in your smile?