9 weeks POST BSSO & Lefort I--officially with pics

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

phil

#31 Post by phil »

Congratulations on your first bite...

...may you have many more!

Be well, and at peace,

Phil
There are no ordinary moments.
Check out my blog! http://pcadams.wordpress.com/

FuzzyPants

#32 Post by FuzzyPants »

Congratulations on the burger! I am in awe of how normal you looked after only 16 days. You have great results.

Class III Blues

#33 Post by Class III Blues »

I personally think it is great that you don't look super different, yet your bite problems are fixed. It is psychologically easier that way. Oh how I wish my results were as subtle as yours! Great improvement for you. Perfect I would say.

mannab271

#34 Post by mannab271 »

thank you for all the compliments!!

was I THAT far ahead with swelling than others?

I'm on chicken now! I'm SUPER excited, like I said, I just now want the split out, the koby-ties off my brackets so I can resume orthodontic work. I've never been so ready for anything!!!

mannab271

#35 Post by mannab271 »

I just thought I would update everyone on recovery....7 weeks and 3 days later....my splint is out..and the roof of my mouth is free!!(as of Thursday 10/2) It's odd, I have a lot more room in my mouth to eat with! But I have a removable retainer that I wear for another week or so ROM is a little more than 2 fingers now. My OS said everyone moves at their own speed. I'm still tingly and numb on my bottom lip and chin, when I drink something cold...my whole chin and lip goes cold and I can feel it. It's kinda weird. But that just means feeling is coming back..and I'm VERY excited about that!!!

I have my first ortho appt this wednesday to start back treatment. OS said it's up to the ortho if he wants me to wear the bands still. (I'm praying it wont be necessary) I did however in the last 7 weeks break a bracket...so, I'm sure I'll be downsizing in wires for 2 weeks while the bracket get's "settled" in. I'm not happy about that..b/c the changing of wire sizes is awful! My teeth feel like they are gonna fall out when they put the smaller wires on!

I'm eating just about EVERYTHING NOW..except steak and porkchops...and of course chips. ;-( those are just a little too hard to break down still without my being able to open my mouth all the way...but in time I keep telling myself...

It's kinda weird hearing myself say this...but I'm glad I got this surgery done!!

FuzzyPants

#36 Post by FuzzyPants »

It sounds like you are doing really well with your recovery. We had our surgeries within a day of eachother and there are still some things I'm too nervous to eat.

I hope you are freed from the elastics soon! Do your molars touch yet? I have a 1 mm gap, but the ortho said they will settle on their own - no elastics needed. It may sound silly, but I really want to be able to eat salad again.

mannab271

#37 Post by mannab271 »

FuzzyPants wrote:It sounds like you are doing really well with your recovery. We had our surgeries within a day of eachother and there are still some things I'm too nervous to eat.

I hope you are freed from the elastics soon! Do your molars touch yet? I have a 1 mm gap, but the ortho said they will settle on their own - no elastics needed. It may sound silly, but I really want to be able to eat salad again.
yeah. Things are smoothly coming along. I resume orthodontic treatment tomorrow! I sure hope there's not much left to do!!! My molars touch yes...but I will have a little bit more work on my left side than my right back there. I'm hoping for no elastics but with my luck...I'll get stuck with them.

I hear you on the salad. I've tried bites of lettuce and I'm gettin there...but no so much. I love eating...so I'm feeing for chips and nachos..all the stuff that I loved eating b/f surgery....hmm...I'm hungry just thinking about it!

mannab271

#38 Post by mannab271 »

so my first ortho appt was today...finally got my archwire that got segmented during surgery taken off, and a new one put on...and then of course....my darn retainer/splint broke!!! I was putting it back in, and saw that the "hook" on my left side that sits between my side cuspids was bent...i tried to move it and SNAP the hook fell out!!!

It still fits in my mouth, just not tightly especially since the side that is now broke was the side I seated in my mouth first!! Back to the OS on Monday (the earlierst I could get in) to get it fixed!! BUMMER!!!!

Back to the Ortho--Ortho said "im in crossbite still on my left, and that to level my teeth out up front he might have to expand me a LITTLE bit more than what was done during surgery." WHAT IN THE WORLD!!! He said it's nothing urgert. So I'm just confused on exactly what now I'm doing. He did however give me a drum roll date of MARCH 2009 OF DEBANDING. Some cheer...I'm kinda like "Whoopie!" **sarcastically of course** I REALLY just want this all over with!!! I'm tired of the appointments and I'm just plain inpatient now!! LOL

At least I'm in one archwire now up top...I guess it's a step in the right direction

Here's my latest profile and front shot taken today via cellphone camera...so it's not the best quality.

FuzzyPants

#39 Post by FuzzyPants »

Sorry I couldn't reply sooner, but you are looking fabulous! Congratulations on resuming your orthodontic treatment. It'll be over before you know it.
Braced October 17, 2007
BSSO and Lefort August 13, 2008
De-braced November 24, 2008

Steph-in-WI

#40 Post by Steph-in-WI »

You're looking great! It sounds like things are going well for you recovery wise. Hope you get everything sorted out orthodontically.

I was supposed to have my palate expanded during surgery, but my tissue was so tight that my OS couldn't do it. He ended up doing just a one piece LeForte. So I guess that means I will need to get my expansion orthodontically, and I'm not sure if that will be possible, we'll have to see. But I do know that before my surgery, my OS says he'd rather have me a little longer in the OR so he can set things up the best possible for my OD, then I will be in braces for a shorter period of time post-op. I don't think everything worked out the exact way they had planned, but I guess my time in braces might just be a bit longer to achieve the needed result. But March 2009 ... that's only 6 months away! That time will fly by and be here before you know it :D
See my complete braces and jaw surgery story at www.mycorrectivejawsurgery.blogspot.com

Andantae

#41 Post by Andantae »

Looking great manna!! SO glad you finally got that splint out! :yuck: That must have seemed like forever toward the end.

I have the same cold water sensation---isn't it strange? I don't mind it nearly as much as the 'thick' feeling in my lower lip.

Debanding in March? How close is that to your original estimate? The holidays will be here before you know it and then it's just a couple months more after that. I hear you on wanting to be done, though!
Braced 5-30-07 for 18-24 months
In-Ovation Uppers, Metal Lowers, TPA upper arch, Lower Lingual arch, no elastics.
100% Deep Bite, Crowding, Over Extrusion
BSSO & Genio surgery June 4th '08!

"Truth is a bully we all pretend to like." Gregory David Roberts -SHANTARAM

mannab271

#42 Post by mannab271 »

Andantae wrote:Looking great manna!! SO glad you finally got that splint out! :yuck: That must have seemed like forever toward the end.

I have the same cold water sensation---isn't it strange? I don't mind it nearly as much as the 'thick' feeling in my lower lip.

Debanding in March? How close is that to your original estimate? The holidays will be here before you know it and then it's just a couple months more after that. I hear you on wanting to be done, though!
Andantae: Thanks!! I still wake up a bit "puffy" in the am in my lower jaw area but I think that's normal. The sensation is just weird..I almost feel like I'm drooling and I've missed my mouth it's so weird! lol

Yes...HOPEFULLY debanding in March...My orginal estimate changed 2 times. Before I got braced...my Ortho said 12-14 months...then 6 months into treatment, he said No no no I said 18 months. Now, it's 24 and he claims to have sad 24 from the get go. LOL I think he's full of it and I tell him that all the time!! My Ortho is great however and the more I think abou it..I've come so far and waited so long to get where I am, why rush it? lol

...I'd stop complaining if I could feel my chin and bottom lip, open my mouth all the way and eat like I did the day b/f surgery!....I know I know, all in good time...

mannab271

IM DONE!

#43 Post by mannab271 »

I can't believe I'm done with treatment I got debraced!!!

I've posted in the naked tooth section too, but anyone here not have braces anymore and have the new Astics Retainer???