~*!Arby's Brace Story!*~**Bad Luck and More Bad Luck***

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Arbywhopper

~*!Arby's Brace Story!*~**Bad Luck and More Bad Luck***

#1 Post by Arbywhopper »

I thought that I would tell me own brace story, now that I know I am going to go though with getting braces!!

I have hated my teeth for as long as I can remember. My parents never had dental insurance, so even regular cleanings were never done. At 20, and scared to death of the dentist, I went in for my first adult cleaning. I had 2 cavities and 4 impacted wisdom teeth. I had all four wisdom teeth pulled on July 31, 2008; it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. After healing and researching I made my first orthodontist consultation.

September 5 I went in to see Ortho #1. As I mentioned before, I am scared of the dentist. The ortho came into the room, washed his hands dawned a pair of gloves and went straight for my mouth. He didn't introduce himself or tell me what was going to happen. Of course I wasn't happy with that, so I made another appointment with a different ortho. I went in to see Ortho #2 on September 12. After filling out the necessary paperwork I went in to meet with him. He was very nice introduced himself told me what he was going do and talked to me through the entire process. After his exam they took the necessary x-rays and molds. Then I was scheduled to come back October 1.

At this appointment he told me everything that was wrong. Then everything he would do to fix my problems.
* I have a very deep overbite
* I'm missing 1 tooth on the bottom (it never developed)
* My teeth are worn down from grinding and clenching at night
* I have a sore on the roof of my mouth from the deep overbite.
* Overcrowding upper and lower.
* My bite is 1 tooth off on 1 side and 1/2 a tooth off on the other. I might have to get 1 tooth pulled. (Sorry don't know the correct terms for the bites)

If all of this isn't fixed within the next 5 years I will probably have to get dentures. So I was the scheduled for the very next day to get spacers. (OUCH!) Then I go back on October 7th for B-DAY!! (Only on the uppers) I will update this tomorrow and let you all know how it goes!!! Thanks for taking the time to read my story. I will post pics soon.

-Arby
Last edited by Arbywhopper on Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:24 am, edited 4 times in total.
Spacers: October 2, 2008
Top Braces: October 7, 2008
Sentence: 36 Months
Click the "www" for my braces story!! Progress Pic's Posted!!!

jenny101101

#2 Post by jenny101101 »

Welcome to AW, arby!! :-1 Congrats on deciding to get braced.

So, brace day is tomorrow? How are you feeling? I was so excited I barely slept the night before. I, like you, only had my uppers placed at my first appt. Are you getting lowers at a later date? How long is your "sentence"? Sorry for all the questions! :oops:

Glad to have you aboard! :D
Keep smilin'! :)
Jenny

Braced for 18 months: Damon 3mx all around with Damon 3's on "social six". Now is Essix retainers for 10 hours/night.

pearls

#3 Post by pearls »

Well Arby it's great you faced your fears of the dentist and went anyway! Braces definately beat having a lifetime of dentures! I'm also a 20 year old (nearly 21, woo!). I've had my braces for almost 6 months, and I'm not joking when I say time is flying by. They still feel new to me, which is a good thing because I'm not sick of them yet.

Spacers for me have been truly the worst part of the experience so far. Braces are nothing compared to spacers, so I'm sure you'll be glad to get those buggers out, and come out with a new shiny mouth! Do you know when your lowers will be braced?

Good luck! Looking forward to seeing your pics! I also had a deep bite, although it wasn't too severe. You can click on my 'www' if you want to see my progress in pics for some inspiration. I've especially noticed a change in the angle of my teeth.

Pearls.
Spacers in: 9/4/2008
Braces on:16/4/2008
Sentanced for: 18 months
Metal upper and lowers

Grutty

#4 Post by Grutty »

Good luck on brace day Arby! :thumbsup:

Try not to worry too much (easier said than done I know). I was scared to death to have braces put on, but it wasnt anywhere near as bad as I thought it would be. The worst pain I had was from the migraine I got later in the day from worrying so much. :roll:

Looking forward to seeing your pics!

Arbywhopper

#5 Post by Arbywhopper »

Jenny I'm really nervouse about brace day. I will get my lowers at some point, it just depends on when my bite opens up. I will be braced for about 36 months!! Its a really long time!

Pearls I don't know an exact date yet, but i will let you all know when!!

Grutty Thanks for the words of advice, I'm not sleeping well with the spacers in anyway. I'm guessing because of the clenching, it makes my jaw and my teeth more sore, But i will try to sleep!!

Less than 24 hours and i will be braced. The nerves are started to set in!! Thanks so much for the warm welcome!!! :D
Last edited by Arbywhopper on Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

guji girl

#6 Post by guji girl »

Hey Arby!!

Well done on make the right choice! Braces aren't all that bad which people sometimes make out to be. Don't worry about them. The first time the people you know see you, they may ask you questions and some may not even notice! Don't worry about, you'll be fine. Good luck and let us know how it all goes.
Check out my story at: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=28042

Expected treatment time: 18-24 months

flesh-was-sweet

#7 Post by flesh-was-sweet »

Welcome Arbywhopper!

Congratulations on starting your braces journey!

You have nothing to be nervous about I promise you!

One piece of advice, when you're in the dentist's chair, don't cross your feet, it makes stress worse. Just try to relax and it'll be over before you know it!

We'll be thinking of you tomorrow :) Can't wait to see progress pics!

Anni

Arbywhopper

#8 Post by Arbywhopper »

Today is the big day!! I never in a million years thought i would be getting braces!!! But its here and i am leaving in about an hour!! I am really nervous and scared!! I know that once its over i will probably be thinking "what was i scared for!" I will post some pics, maybe tonight. I think i'm going to get pink and purple ligs!!! :D No positive on that! I hope that everything goes good!! I'm so scared! :Questions:

Arbywhopper

#9 Post by Arbywhopper »

Okay its offical, I'M BRACED!!! It is so wierd!!! So far so good, i'm starting to feel some pain. I have taken some advil. other than that everything went rather well. The molar bands still hurt, and they feel like the spacers, i'm sure that everything else will loosen up and it won't be as bad. I hate the metal taste in my mouth that i can't seam to get rid of. I will try to upload pictures tonight, after i get off work. Depending on how much pain i am in.

-Arby

Grutty

#10 Post by Grutty »

Congratulations Arby!! :jump:

I hope you arent in too much pain, cant wait to see your photos!

guji girl

#11 Post by guji girl »

Congtratz! Im pleased it went well
Check out my story at: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=28042

Expected treatment time: 18-24 months

flesh-was-sweet

#12 Post by flesh-was-sweet »

Congratulations!

Can't wait to see progress pics!

jxds

#13 Post by jxds »

Hey, Arby!

Conmgratulations for being braced, and for your positive attitude! I definetly felt soo much depressed the first days than you! Anyway, just keep in mind that the pain DOES go away and soon you will only notice them when eating or brushing/flossing (oh, well, and after an adjustment!)

Arbywhopper

#14 Post by Arbywhopper »

So it has almost been 24 hours, and i really haven't had any pain. I have two little sores on the inside of my cheeks from the little hooks. other than that i feel fine. I do have the horrible taste of metal in my mouth that i can't seam to get out. eating is a bit hard, and everytime i bite down i feel like i'm bite on my metal molar bands, and it very uncomfortable. Is that normal?? will i get use to it?? Thats about all that happened with me. Thanks for all the congrats!! :D

-Arby

OzKelly

Hello

#15 Post by OzKelly »

Hi and congrats on the big step.

I am about 2 months in, and I remember the first few days, I was very scared when eating, esp when biting into food, because I also felt like I was going to bit straight down onto my brackets. But I think after about 2 weeks, it got a little easier, and now nearly 2 months in, I am able to bite down into things. Still I eat very carefully now, and it takes a bit longer, and chewing is still a bit wierd but slowly slowly things are starting to get back to normal. I never thought eating would be the same again, for the first few days, but it is getting better every week!

Good Luck anyways

Kelly