In a weeeird situation.. any advice?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cersepn

In a weeeird situation.. any advice?

#1 Post by cersepn »

i had two lower teeth extracted to correct my mild underbite.. i have no crowding issues so it was sorely for that. but now i'm wondering if i will be completely satisfied with just extractions, as i'm told i'm a borderline case.

would it be safe to say that if i changed my mind and want surgery now, two of the upper teeth would have to be pulled since now the upper and lower arch is sorta imbalanced?!

i honestly think i have a weird weird case.. i didn't mention this to my ortho but presumably she knows. i've been a chronic grinder since my permanents erupted AND a mouth breather. I don't think i have that much excess maxillary but i do have some - i have a gummy smile. After all the readings i've done, excess maxillary almost always comes with an open bite and although now my bite is closed (pre-ortho work), i really think it was cos of all the grinding back then that caused my back molars to be filed down and giving me a closed bite.
Does that make any sense at all?

It is of concern because right now my lower jaw's position when i'm relaxed is open and it's not the slight bit it should be, it's quite alot. I still find myself breathing through my mouth often although now my nose is clear after the nasal surgery i had done in the past. On top of that, after the extractions, i always wake up with my lower jaw jutting out subconsciously, i don't remember having that in the past. ARGH.
i really wish i had pursued surgery instead.. sigh
Any thoughts? I won't be seeing my ortho until next month hmmm

ohmyjaw

#2 Post by ohmyjaw »

Definitely speak with your ortho about this. I don't see why you couldn't still have the surgery.

I had extractions as a child, supposedly to correct a crossbite. (It didn't help). But my ortho and surgeon were able to work around it. At the beginning I was told I might need implants, but this turned out not to be the case.

The best thing to do would be to bring this up with your ortho, and then get a consultation with a surgeon (or two).

cersepn

#3 Post by cersepn »

thanks, so in the end how many teeth did your top arch and bottom arch have? There wasn't a same number of teeth on both jaws?