Full metal Damon mouth [4th adjustment, lowers came out]

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jxds

Full metal Damon mouth [4th adjustment, lowers came out]

#1 Post by jxds »

Hi, everybody

I've been reading your stories for a while, and they helped me to do the move, so I thought I'd share mine with you as well!

I'm 27 years old, and had been thinking for a while about braces.

I've got a deep deep bite, a cross-bite on the back and crowding. My main problem was TMJ and that's why I decided to correct my bite. I've been wearing a splint for a couple of years, after having my jaw 'blocked'. I wore it 24/7 (wll, kind of :oops: ) for a few months, and then at night, while driving and while working on the computer (when I clench my teeth more). Once the pain and clicks on the joint went away, the Dr recommended me to get my bite corrected, as it is probably my cross bite that causes, or worsens my TMJ pain.

At first, I kind of freaked out, and then I moved abroad for nine months, so I postponed it until now. Finally I decided to go ahead, and visited a couple of orthos. I decided to stay with the one that uses Damon braces, as he didn't wanted to pull any of my teeth, and he said I would not need any palate appliance. The other one wanted to pull two lower premolars, and use a palate expander or something similar. And with the Damons I've been told that m treatment will be only 18 months, while the other one told me it would last, at least, 24.

The only drawback is that they are all metal. At first I was soo convinced that I wanted clear braces, but then I decided that I'd rather keep all my healthy teeth (I already got my wisdom teeth removed) and have a full metal look (my ortho does not use damon 3 braces). I also wanted to be sure I wouldn't have any lisp at all, as my work involves a lot of public talking...

I got my braces, and it didn't hurt that much, just a little pain the first days and now and then I feel some tooth sore. The most difficult part so far has been managing to eat with the molar buildups I got to avoid biting on my lower brackets. My teeth only meet there, so chewing is very tricky. Now I have learned how to eat almost anything (salad is still challenging) and I have worn out a little bit my buildups too. Hopefully I won't get them rebuilt! I also got a ton of canker sores at the beginning, now my mouth seems to be used to the metal.

I got an appointment at the beginning of september, when I got my lower archwire changed, and my lowers were a bit sore for a few days. The next appointment is next week, I will keep you updated!

I have also have been to a couple of emergency appointments because of falling buildups, and I also got a bracket popping out, because I've got a crown on my front tooth and it does not stick well. The ortho put a doughnut on that bracket, so it does not slide around the wire.

So far I'm happy I did it, I've seen my teeth moving a lot, and the braces are not as painful as I expected. I am supposed to get elastics soon, maybe then I'll feel the real pain, but so far it's been ok on that front. Eating has been (and still is)more tricky, as food gets trapped everywhere, and I can barely chew bc of my molar buildups, so I kind of swallow food.

My second day in braces:

ImageImage

My deep bite (sorry for the wax):
ImageImage

2 months later (notice the movement in the lowers!):
ImageImage

My bite now (so far, no big changes except for the worn out buildups):
Last edited by jxds on Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

Arbywhopper

#2 Post by Arbywhopper »

Thanks for posting your story!! i have a deep over bite as well. I go back for the second consultation today. i will get my treatment plan and everything today. I hope that you are still pain free and i hope that eating gets better too!!! Keep us posted!!! Thanks again for telling your story. :-*

-Arby
Spacers: October 2, 2008
Top Braces: October 7, 2008
Sentence: 36 Months
Click the "www" for my braces story!! Progress Pic's Posted!!!

Arbywhopper

#3 Post by Arbywhopper »

By the way your teeth look so good!!! :D

Flaka

#4 Post by Flaka »

Hello jxds,

I am 30 and a fellow Damon wearer and a crossbiter as well. How are you coping with the molar buidlups? It took me about 5 days to get used to mine but after a while you wont even feel them. Things will get easier and eating will be no problem soon.
I agree with the food getting trapped everywhere. I got mself a waterpick and it has been great to keep my mouth food free after I eat, specially when I am in a rush and dont have time for flossing.

Good to hear you are doing good. Keep us posted :)

jxds

#5 Post by jxds »

Thanks a lot, Arby! I hope your treatment plan is fine and you soon get started! Let us know!

Flaka, I've checked your story - some things are similar to mine!

I've kind of adapted to my buildups. First, I had two on each side, now I only have one left in each side, and they are lower, so everything is kind of easier. Anyway, I am more or less used to eat with them: basically, mashing and swallowing rather than properly chewing. But that does not bother me anymore, it's just amazing how we get used to everything!

I was told I would soon get the exact same elastics you have for my crossbite. I hope they are not too painful!

I post two extra pics so you can see my arches (sorry, they're small bc I took them with my webcam).

The upper (notice the weird position of the molars, that cause the crossbite):

The lower, with the buildups:

ImageImage

Next week I have my second adjustment, let's see what I get done. Some times I think I could manage more pressure and pain in exchange for speeding up things! :)

Flaka

#6 Post by Flaka »

Hey jxds, glad to hear things are going well for you and that you got only two molar builds up now...can't wait to I get mine off.

The elastics will be uncomfortable for the first couple of days maybe a week to get used t, it depends on the person, but honestly mine were never really that bad and now is like I have to have them on, or else it just feels weird. My bite has changed a lot since, you probably saw it on my story and it looks bad but I hope once everything is aligned properly, things can look good.

I can see the very back molar looks like mine, but your arches look good and will be better once everything start moving into place :)

How long is your treatment? Hope next weeks adjustment goes well.

jxds

#7 Post by jxds »

Thank you, guys!

Ken: Thanks god I got rid of the splint! Well, wearing it at night was OK, but those months I had to wear it the whole day were really awful! Anyway: it worked, my pain and clicking went away and I'm soo glad that I have braces now - despite the eating problems, they're ok and things are definetly moving!

Flaka: Even if it seem weird, according to my ortho, it is precisely the last molar the one that actually is where it should be, so he wants to move the rest of them to align with it and widen the whole arch. I was told that it would take 18 months, but I think that is a sort of standard duration for Damon treatments, so it might be shorter or longer... I really hope it won't be longer!

Tomorrow I have the second adjustment, I'll let you know how it goes!

flesh-was-sweet

#8 Post by flesh-was-sweet »

Best of luck for your second adjustment, jxds!

Your teeth are looking great so far!

jxds

#9 Post by jxds »

Thank you, flesh-was-sweet!

I just got back home from my appointment. My ortho is happy with the movement, he changed my lower wire to a sort of square shaped one, which I guess means progress! Right now I have the baseball in the mouth feeling in my lowers, if it gets worse I'll take some tylenol...

As soon as I can, I'll take a pic to post it here, so I too can keep track of the movement.

Bad news are: he has not changed or tightened the upper wire, which means no progress I guess. Plus my buildups are still there. It will be so nice the day they come out and I can chew again! Anyway, things are moving!

jxds

#10 Post by jxds »

Hey,

It's been three days after my adjustment and the pain is starting to recede. I can't really chew yet, but it's getting better. My lowers have been hurting a lot from the new wire, even more than when I first got the braces. It is normal, as the wire the ortho put on my lowers is really thick compared to the previous one! I have especially two sore molars so I just keep my mouth open the whole day and during the night I unconsciously bite on my tongue as to avoid contact between my molars and buildups...

He told me that next month he would put the same wire I have on the lowers on the upper arch, so I will probably have a few more funny days of soup and mashed potatoes after next adjustment. Whatever. :?

On the positive side: my lowers are almost aligned! :D They still have to extrude or something as to open my bite, but the alignment is almost done, in just three months. I am really happy about that! I now that from now on the changes won't be so noticeable, but having straight teeth will help the next months of working with my bite and elastics and everything..

Anyway, here it goes the pic: notice the aligned front lowers, and the square shaped wire:

jxds

#11 Post by jxds »

(I accidentally posted twice, and now I can only edit but not delete the duplicate post. Sorry!)

Arbywhopper

#12 Post by Arbywhopper »

Your teeth are looking wonderful!!! yay! I hope everything gets better as far as the pain goes!!! I'm fianlly braced and everything is going good!! I'm in no pain!! I guess i'm lucky about that one!! I hope everything works out.

jxds

#13 Post by jxds »

thank you Arby! The pain did onl last a few days, now everything is back to normal... I've seen more movement, I am already looking forward to get a new upper archwire!

Flaka

#14 Post by Flaka »

Your lowers have aligned so quickly, they look great! I wish mine looked like yours, but after 6 months, still very slow.
You are on the super move :wink:

jxds

#15 Post by jxds »

thank you, Flaka! I guess it depends on every case, but the important thing is that at the end of the journey we'll all have perfect teeth!

I'm thinking that perhaps the time of visible changes is coming to an end, and from now on everything will be slower...and I will use more patience... Anyway, I wasn't expecting my lowers to move so quickly so I am excited about that!