Overjet increased during treatment?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dfac001

Overjet increased during treatment?

#1 Post by dfac001 »

Hi everyone,

I have deep bite. Before braces my deep bite was like more than 100%. But no serious overjet. There was some degree of overjet since the upper were covering 100% the upper had to be like 2mm from the lower.

Since having braces my upper teeth were clearly protruding forward like 10mm. And then my ortho put my bottom braces on with the clearance gained.

Some of my friends, being non supportive of me having braces, commented on how bad my teeth looked.

My frds think I'm making myself look really bad by having braces. They think my teeth were not too bad to begin with and now they are buck teeth and look really bad.

So frustrated, does anyone have the same problem as me?

btw I had 2 extractions, so the protruding upper arch is supposed to go backwards, right???

Ceramics on Upper braced 02/01/08
Extracted 2 upper 2nd premolars 08/14/08
Ceramics on Bottom braced 08/22/08

Lisa65

#2 Post by Lisa65 »

In a deep bite the top front teeth are usually slanted backwards. There is actually an overjet, but it's camouflaged by the inward slant. As the bite opens and the top teeth come into line, the hidden overjet becomes apparent.

It's a necessary "ugly duckling" stage, but once all the top teeth are properly aligned, they can start to be brought back into the extraction gaps, and the overjet will disappear.

gingerprince

#3 Post by gingerprince »

Hi dfac001, I had similar issues to yourself.
My original teeth alignment meant that I had a large overbite, but only a slight overjet.
Halfway through treatment, before getting on the powerbands to close the extraction gaps, I had a massive overjet!
Now, with the powerbands on, my extraction gaps are almost comletely closed and I only have a very small overjet.
This remaining overjet is now being corrected with elastics, which are pulling my lower jaw out slightly, to give me the perfect bite.

GP.

dfac001

#4 Post by dfac001 »

Lisa65 Thanks for the reply. I hope the ugly duckling stage will pass soon and I can show everyone my choice is right.

gingerprince Thanks for telling me your experience. Did you have extraction like halfway during treatment? or right at the beginning?

I just had the extraction like 7 months into the braces. So the overjet formed before the extraction. And now it's slowly making its way back.

I just uploaded pics to my story the front view I have yet to put the side view aka the overjet.

viewtopic.php?t=24354

Ceramics on Upper braced 02/01/08
Extracted 2 upper 2nd premolars 08/14/08
Ceramics on Bottom braced 08/22/08