Traveling for business with braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Leb

Traveling for business with braces

#1 Post by Leb »

Hi I'm in a bit of a situation with my braces and was just wondering if anyone here has been in the same situation, and if so, what you did...here's a breif description of what's going on...

So I live in Toronto, but am going to be in Vancouver for the next three months...So problem is my adjustments are obviously done in Toronto by my orthodontist so I will be missing three adjustments because of this business trip to Vancouver...so basically my question is, is there any way I can get just three of my adjustments done here in Vancouver by another orthodontist? Like I was thinking that maybe my orthodontist could refer me to an ortho here in Vancouver and he could be in contact with my orthodontist in Toronto about my case for the next three months while he does my adjustments. I really have no idea, this idea could be absolutely crazy, or very reasonable, unfortunately, I don't know! I'm already in Vancouver and with the time difference and my hours of work, it's been impossible to get a hold of my orthodontist to have a conversation about it, so I thought I would try here and ask...

So, has anyone else gone through this, or do I just have to wait three months until my next adjustment? Please let me know! Thanks for reading all that!

Leb

#2 Post by Leb »

I just hate how my ligs stain yellow because I have clear elastics...

So after three months, they would be pretty yellow! See, I don't smoke or drink coffee or tea, or eat curry at all, or drink soda...so I don't do a lot of things that would stain your ligs quickly but I can definitely say my ligs are yellow by the time I go in for my 4 week adjustment!

iBorg

#3 Post by iBorg »

I'd ask mu ortho if he has a friend in Vancouver that might be willing to change your ligs. If not, when I got there, I spend some time on the phone.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

Lisa65

#4 Post by Lisa65 »

Why not have the very light grey (smoke) or silver ligs put on before you go? They don't show stains nearly as much and are still discreet. Or the best option of all for stain-free travelling, ask for wire ties.

TigerLily

#5 Post by TigerLily »

Second the wire ties.
I would try and stick to my own ortho for adjustments, surely they can work it out so your wires work for the time you're away.

But I definitely would want the details of a local ortho in case of emergency.
I had a nightmare when I was travelling in South America and went to an emergency dentist booked by a hotel but I wish I'd planned ahead and had details of a good ortho.

Lola

#6 Post by Lola »

Or change them yourself? I seem to be the only, or one of the only people allowed to do this, ut there can be no harm in asking if you could have some spare ligs and see what they say?? I was actually offered them when I went in to get them changed, and now every time I'm back I get a new strip of clear ligs so I don't have to keep coming in. A good tweezers and I'm set!

Spanner

#7 Post by Spanner »

My adjustments are done every 10 weeks so an extra 2 weeks wouldn't be a problem for me so maybe it won't have any adverse effects for you.

As for the ligs, well I don't have any so I wouldn't have that problems but wire ones sounds like a good solution.

I would definately want to find out where the nearest ortho was in case of an emergency though. I wouldn't feel comfortable unless I knew where it was and that they were happy to help me.