My Story

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jes

My Story

#1 Post by Jes »

I've been looking around this message board for a few days and I thought I'd join in on the fun. I'm going to have braces for a while so might as well keep track of it.

I don't really have anything "wrong" with my teeth. No overbite, crowding, etc. I guess it's for cosmetic reasons. I want to feel confident when I smile.

My ortho called it a minor (ha) case and quoted me 16-26 months! I am really, really hoping it's for 16 months or less.

Here is my smile on the day I got my top braces put on:
Monday, September 22, 2008

Top braces:

Top:
Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Bottom:
Sunday, September 28, 2008

My Left:

My Right:

One Week (Almost):

I do see improvement already. I'm a bit concerned. I see space forming between my two front teeth:

Before:

After:

It's very small but I notice it. Is this normal?! I'm going to call my ortho first thing tomorrow because I'm beginning to freak out.

Other then that, braces have been pretty painless. The most painful part were the spacers. OMG those were so painful. I took so many Aleve that weekend. Putting on the bands was also a bit painful because my teeth were still sore from the spacers.

Of course, my teeth are sore from the braces so I have to stick to soft food but that's expected, right? I'll probably eat a lot of soft food the entire time I have braces. My ortho is located in my hometown but I'm about 6 hours away from home because of school. I'm terrified of something snapping because I have no idea what I'll do since I'm so far away lol :x

Cleaning takes me forever!!! Especially flossing but I have still been flossing twice a day. I went out and bought a Waterpik Ultra. I use that and I still floss the old fashioned way. You can never be too careful :P

My first adjustment is on Thursday, October 23, 2007. I'm looking forward to it...not. :P

Alright that's it for now. I look forward to getting everyone on here. I have been following a few people's journeys' on here and the results so far are absolutely amazing and very encouraging. :)

PS - How do you guys take such good pictures of your arches? SO hard!

shan*rock

#2 Post by shan*rock »

Thanks for joining in. Your teeth look great! Like the previous poster said, I wouldn't worry too much about the gap. Right before my 2nd adjustment I had one like yours between those same teeth and as soon as the ortho did the adjustment it was gone, along with another one that I had forming between two other teeth. Things move like crazy, so try not to worry!

Jes

#3 Post by Jes »

Thanks shan*rock and bracedagain. I was getting really worried about the gap. I called my ortho and he said the same.

I'm ready to get these braces off!

flesh-was-sweet

#4 Post by flesh-was-sweet »

Hi Jes!

Wow you have beautiful teeth!!!!

I can't wait to see your Hollywood Smile appear :D

landela

#5 Post by landela »

Wow - you're teeth looked pretty good before braces!
I'm so surprised they quoted you so long - your teeth mostly looked better than mine and I was only quoted 8 months (but I think it will be a bit longer).
Good luck on your braces journey!
Laynie

Braced - April 24, 2008
Last adjustment - December 16, 2008
Trangle elastics - August 26 - Current (only at night from 11/11/2008 - Current)
Treatment end date - January 28, 2009

Click link to read my braces story:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 532#258532 - Updated 11/11/2008 with pictures

Jes

#6 Post by Jes »

Just hit 2 weeks this past Tuesday.

Pre-braces:

First day of top & bottom braces:
Tuesday, September 23, 2008

One week:
Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Two weeks:
Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Honestly, I'm a bit frustrated. I know there's not much GOOD change and I didn't expect a lot of GOOD change so soon. However, I feel there has been BAD change. The spaces in-between my teeth seem to be growing. I feel like my smile looks worse now then it did before braces.

Also out of the blue, some teeth are randomly sore again. I can't really chew on my right side. My teeth are SUPER sensitive to hot and cold. My teeth have never been that sensitive. But now they hurt if I drink anything a little too cold or a little too hot. I've been using a straw for everything.

I've been really good with cleaning. I spent a good 25 minutes every morning and every night. Also try and brush my teeth after I eat lunch as well.

My first adjustment is coming up on the 23rd of this month. I'm looking forward to it.

Alright, gotta get to bed. Class at 8AM tomorrow. Eww.

jxds

#7 Post by jxds »

Hey, Jes

You have really nice teeth! Don't worry about the spaces opening up, it is normal. Just imagine a set of boxes together: when ou want to move one, you have to move the ones that are next to it. With our teeth it is the same: it is only the final placement that is important. Meanwhile no one notices if we have these spaces or not: we just have metal mouths!

Ok, hang in there, and don't worry. The soreness will soon disappear (until the next adjustment, of course). Good luck!

Jes

#8 Post by Jes »

So I freaking snapped a wire in my bottom teeth.

I'm beginning to freak out. My ortho is 6 hours away AND it's a Sunday.

My bottom teeth are beginning to hurt. Ugh. :(

Jes

#9 Post by Jes »

So I totally disappeared for about 9 months. School had started up for the year and I'm finally done! I am officially a senior and it's my fourth and final year as an undergrad. Wooohooooooooo! :)

I'll be hitting my 9-month mark on the 22nd of this month. There have been some changes to my teeth. When I look at arch pictures, I can totally tell the difference. BUT when you look straight at my teeth, in my opinion they look worse then what I started with.

Top Arch:

Bottom Arch:

I'm just over braces. I'm ready for them to be off :-X The gaps just really bug the crap out of me. I NEVER had any gaps before. They actually don't look that bad in the picture because he actually put chainsaws on like 2 adjustments go. Then when I went in for my last adjustment he said some bottom tooth wasn't where he wanted it to be and took them off. Whew, I did NOT like chainsaws. As if flossing isn't already difficult enough, it was just impossible with those chainsaws on.

So yeahhh I am reallyyyyyyy hoping my teeth start to look pretty soon lol :)

staceyr2

#10 Post by staceyr2 »

your arches look great! I know the feeling of "being over" the braces. I am there too. You said you didn't get the braces for crowding or anything, just for cosmetic, but looking at your photos, it does look like you had some crowding because the canines weren't down where they belong. Your smile does look better than it did before the braces. Don't give up now, you look like you are almost there. You may not think your teeth are better, we are our own worst critic, but they really do look a lot better. Not that they looked terrible to begin with, though. Just a little while longer and you will have a "movie star smile" :D
You will be amazed at how good they will look when you get done.
staceyr2
(braced after age 30)
wearing metal self-ligating on both