can spacers cause crowded teeth to be more crowded

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

59fifty

can spacers cause crowded teeth to be more crowded

#1 Post by 59fifty »

i have very crowded front teeth and thinking of how spacers work, would they push my already crowded teeth more crooked?

i dont understand how they make room without pushing teeth anyways

59fifty

#2 Post by 59fifty »

the thing is i cant get braces for like 3 months

expanders first

sigh

very crowded front teeth btw

karencoutts

#3 Post by karencoutts »

I agree with Meryaten. No difference to naked eye.

I definitely notice that it has become much more difficult to floss my teeth with the spacers in. The teeth are more crowded, certainly. That explains the pain when I bite down on areas without the spacers.

59fifty

#4 Post by 59fifty »

k thanks for the input

however instead of getting spacers i got removeable expanders T_T
they look like retainers and they are not even a perfect fit

i cant close my teeth all the way like i normally do but the ortho said thats fine. ill just take em out when i eat.

However i cant tell if they are working correctly. After like 7 hours or so when i took them off to brush my teeth, it felt awkward to bite down, like my bite changed. On the right side the teeth align good but the left side is like having my bottom teeth more to the right and my top teeth more to the left

before it was just an overbite but now its like moving to the right or something, other then that i think i can feel it working T_T i have to move it every mon and thurs and the ortho said it cud take 6 months OMG!!!! i wanted my braces in 3 but nooooo..harder to talk but not TO bad but definately embarrasing i sound like a 12 year old kid but im 20

59fifty

#5 Post by 59fifty »

hey i also want to know what my expander is called because i want to look it up and how other pple deal with it

it looks JUSt like an upper retainer except i can put a key in it. Like metal in front of my mouth.makes my bad teeth look worse T_T

Lisa65

#6 Post by Lisa65 »

Is it something like the Schwartz on this page?

http://www.inmanortho.com/expansion/expansion.html

59fifty

#7 Post by 59fifty »

looks the same kind of but i cant tell
i googled it and it said thats for lower jaw

i dont have anything on my lower jaw for some reason -_-

karencoutts

#8 Post by karencoutts »

Ahem... for the record, to revise my previous answer to your original question.

Yes, spacers do make crowded teeth more crowded.

It's Day 8 of wearing spacers and they have definitely made my lower teeth more crowded. Not only that, it is definitely visibly noticeable-- They look horrible now!

I have another 7 days to go in spacers.