Learning to use a Waterpik! : )

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mary.

Learning to use a Waterpik! : )

#1 Post by mary. »

This morning, I am learning to use my new Waterpik. For those who have one, you know just what's coming next - there's water everywhere! haha

OMG, it was so funny. I know I'll get the hang of this thing soon, but in the meantime, maybe I'll put my swim suit on LOL

I did quickly clue in to close my mouth, but am still working on getting the on/off in time and getting a feel for what I'm doing.

Thought you might get a good chuckle. Might as well laugh about these things. Beside, my walls do need cleaning too : )

ps... I got the Ultra rechargeable Waterpik. It does seem to work really well, when the water is hitting my teeth/gumline and not the walls.

lueyfufu

#2 Post by lueyfufu »

*lol* Mary, congratulations on your new purchase. The first time I used mine, I wondered how in the world people could possibly make it work without getting more water on the walls than in their mouth. But it does get better with practice. :)

Is yours the cordless kind that has the water reservoir built into the handle? That's what mine is. I love the orthodontic tip that came with it. (It's like the regular tip, but with a brushy thing on the end.) I find that I'm less likely to spray water everywhere when I use that one. :)
Lower braces: 7/1/08
Expander installed: 7/8/08
SARPE: 7/15/08
First adjustment for lowers: 8/5/08
Expander tied: 8/11/08
Upper braces: 8/28/08
Lefort I & BSSO: 1/8/13

tammers1010

#3 Post by tammers1010 »

I got a chuckle out of this post. It took me about two months to stop spraying everything with my waterpik. The button to stop the water on mine sticks. I'm more likely to turn it off, instead of stopping it now. While waterpiking with the bathroom door open at my sister's house, i hit my brother in law while he was digging through the fridge. Miniscule 2nd bathroom right next to the fridge = hilarious, BTW.

Just be thankful you have the travel waterpik--i now have two--when you drop the one that plugs into the wall while its on, it squirts water everwhere--just remember to turn it off instead of trying to catch it.
Tammers

Megan11

#4 Post by Megan11 »

How important are waterpicks?

My ortho said they don't encourage their patients to get them.

Are they expensive?

jpiper001

#5 Post by jpiper001 »

i love my waterpik. even if i am still shooting the occasional stream of water up my nose=P i love the way it makes my teeth feel...nice and clean...and my walls are clean now. and i shot the cat in the head with it this morning to remind her who pays the rent.

alan31

#6 Post by alan31 »

I have the bigger corded version:
http://www.amazon.com/Waterpik-Ultra-De ... i_-2_1_tit
"Waterpik Ultra Dental Water Jet"

It has better reviews. Yea its corded but its powerful too. I wonder if the cordless is as powerful.

When I use it, I form an extended "O" with my lips. That keeps the water inside my mouth. Mmmm, ofcourse I also bend and lean into the sink. If I was looking at the mirrow while doing it or standing up, it would shoot water everywhere.
Last edited by alan31 on Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alan31

#7 Post by alan31 »

Megan11 wrote:How important are waterpicks?

Are they expensive?
Did you ask them why?

I couldnt do without a waterpik. With all the metal work inside, its practically impossible to clean out the left over food gunk after a meal without a waterpik.

Plus its great for gingivitus. I've been going to the hygienist now and every time they've had to do minimal cleaning. My gums used to bleed in the beginning when I was using the pick, but now they are firm and pink. Its really the only way you can clean.

Think of it - its a water jet that goes into the gum line. No matter how hard you brush your teeth, the brush isnt able to do what the water pick will.

alan31

#8 Post by alan31 »

I dont know. I'm too lazy to floss like the 50% of people who dont floss (actual survey). I feel I'm ok for now. My gums are really pink now.
When I try to floss, it hurts my gums too. I'll pull the string and bam, it hits my gums. So I like my water pik. I hate flossing.

Megan11

#9 Post by Megan11 »

alan31 wrote:
Megan11 wrote:How important are waterpicks?

Are they expensive?
Did you ask them why?
They said that a lot of people substitute their waterpik for flossing, and they believe flossing is more effective... but I just bought one yesterday anyways
:D

And my shirt was drenched by the time I was done! haha I love it already though.

alan31

#10 Post by alan31 »

hi Meryaten, what you say could be true, yea. Flossing scrapes off stuff which water cannot. I have all the respect for people who have the energy to floss :D.

thanks Megan.

My waterpik shoots real far away. Once I took it to the backyard and it was able to cover half of the yard. Also handy in a quick cleaning of the sink, heh. I use it on full power by the way. Its very strong. Awesome product.

alan31

#11 Post by alan31 »

Thanks I'll ask them.

lueyfufu

#12 Post by lueyfufu »

Somewhat related question: Do you Waterpik the backs (lingual side) of your teeth?
Lower braces: 7/1/08
Expander installed: 7/8/08
SARPE: 7/15/08
First adjustment for lowers: 8/5/08
Expander tied: 8/11/08
Upper braces: 8/28/08
Lefort I & BSSO: 1/8/13

Jes

#13 Post by Jes »

I went out and bought a Waterpik Ultra the other day.

First thing, it makes such a mess! :P I think the walls are probably more clean then I am in the end lol

I'm a wee bit weary of how effective it is. I first use the Waterpik and then afterwards I will still floss the old fashioned way. I'm a bit paranoid :P

But it does a good job of getting a lot of the stuff out of your teeth.

schildog

#14 Post by schildog »

Yeah I got one of these as well due to this message board. It is a pain in the ass. How long before I stop spraying like a skunk!?

bracedat44

#15 Post by bracedat44 »

I have the Ultra and the best way to use it is to lean over the sink with your mouth almost closed to let the water run out. I use the button to stop it when I move to another section.
click www for my story