question about drinks...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jpiper001

question about drinks...

#1 Post by jpiper001 »

so really now...what can i drink?
i know soda is the biggest no-no, and i was told to drink beer through a straw (omg i feel like a goon doing that!)
and i was ok'ed to drink coffee.
but what about iced tea? i like it without the sugar, but can i have sweet and low or splenda? i work outside so i drink a ton of water, but i am so sick of it. i am constantly drinking something, but i sure would like it to have a little flavor...

jpiper001

#2 Post by jpiper001 »

thank you! i am going to ask the ortho about artificial sweetners, but i am in general pretty careful about when i eat and drink. i knew i couldnt drink soda so i drank about 3 gallons of it right before i had the brackets put on=) i dont like sports drinks and i water down juice. by iced tea, i did mean home brewed, the nestea and other bottled crap is too sweet for me anyway.
hehe and ill take a wild stab in the dark here, and assume that if i cant have much acidic drinks, i could limit spagetti? or brush soon afterward? man, im italian, everything i eat comes with a tomato....

yeah for straight teeth.

jaswi

#3 Post by jaswi »

This was my solution to the drinks problem: Drink everything you drank before braces. Seriously, I have drank pop, juices, beer, and everything else and had zero problems. I really think most the food and drink restrictions are geared toward children, not adults who know enough to care for their teeth properly, as far as brushing and flossing.

Lisa65

#4 Post by Lisa65 »

I think you just have to be sensible. If you must drink soda, drink it all in one go instead of sipping it through the day, and then try and rinse your mouth out with water or chew some gum, if you can't brush.

Sweet n Low or Splenda do not have an adverse effect on teeth. Oral bacteria cannot utilise them for nutrition.

PiscesFish1969

#5 Post by PiscesFish1969 »

My ortho gave me one no-no for drinks - she said yellow sodas such as Mt Dew or Mello Yello have something that causes the bonding to breakdown. Other than that, she just said to be sure to rinse with water after something sugary. I drink nearly a gallon of water a day anyway, so I rarely feel the need to drink anything else, but if I do, it just won't be yellow!
Hubby got his Harley - 8/07
Started researching Orthos - 9/07
Lower Pre-molar extractions 8/6/08
Braced on 8/13/08 - 39 years old
Debraced on 12/6/2010 - 41 years old
Looking forward to the next 41+ years, this time with an improved smile!

WhenISeeYouSmile

#6 Post by WhenISeeYouSmile »

PiscesFish1969 wrote:My ortho gave me one no-no for drinks - she said yellow sodas such as Mt Dew or Mello Yello have something that causes the bonding to breakdown.
That's interesting and good to know.

I'm an iced tea addict.....I live on it all year around but I don't put anything in it....just drink it straight. However, I do find some of the bottled teas that are slightly sweet refreshing once in a while, but 99% of the time I'm doing the plain tea thing so I think I'm safe.

PiscesFish1969

#7 Post by PiscesFish1969 »

Actually Meryaten, she made it sound like it was an ingredient of the yellow dye used in Mt Dew that causes problems, not the citric acid, but I may have misunderstood. It had been a full day, what with getting the braces on & all! I told her I sometimes mix pineapple or orange juice with alcohol & would that still be ok, and she had no issues with those at all. I'll have to ask again when I go in for my adjustment next month, because now I'm curious.
Hubby got his Harley - 8/07
Started researching Orthos - 9/07
Lower Pre-molar extractions 8/6/08
Braced on 8/13/08 - 39 years old
Debraced on 12/6/2010 - 41 years old
Looking forward to the next 41+ years, this time with an improved smile!