First adjustment: H*OLY SH*T!!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

indiestar

#16 Post by indiestar »

I've got my first 'proper' adjustment in a few weeks, i'm hoping it's going to be less painful than when I had the top and bottom put on for the first time.

The thing that I find the worst though is not being able eat properly for days afterwards.

Top brace on: 16th June 2008
Bottom brace on: 13th August 2008

beachmommy

#17 Post by beachmommy »

You is skawwing meeeee. I am going to have my first adjustment on October 28. A long time to be worried!!!

GiovanntiLawing

#18 Post by GiovanntiLawing »

WoW.
Ive never had an experience like that. They do bring discomfort, but they will get better as you progress.
Giovannti. 26 years old with braces..

http://bracesandthecity.blogspot.com/

2nd Time w/Braces
Metal-First time 10 years ago
Ceramic-(Second time) Top Arch Installed 7/9/2008, Bottom Arch Installed 9/10/2008

Next Adjustment 11/25/2008

Word of advice: WEAR YOUR RETAINERS!!

alpinist

#19 Post by alpinist »

Had my first adjustment a week ago. Before he did it, he said "No problems so far?"

"Nope."

When I had the first adjustment, he skipped the second wire and went on to the third. No pain, no discomfort. I'm hoping that will take some time off my treatment.

parsonsdeb

My first adjustment

#20 Post by parsonsdeb »

I just had my first adjustment this week (went in to have two brackets reglued, and they decided to just bump up my adjustment date). It definitely didn't feel good, but not as bad as expected. As soon as they were done, I hit the motrin and started chewing freedent gum. I chewed on a bite wafer later. Since then I have been a little sore, but still able to eat! I am more worried about getting chains later!
Deb

And to think, I asked for this torture!

[/url]

Gennel

#21 Post by Gennel »

Wuss? lol?

I went through that same experience when they put a tight powerchain on my VERY loose and super wobbly teeth. So saying wuss or lol? Sorry but until you go through that ...I think your responses might be a lot different.

When my ortho put the first chain loop on my bottom front loose teeth, my tooth immediately moved like 1.5 mm. I could even see the fear in his eyes. Yes I screamed . Iscreamed for the first time in 2 yrs of adjustments.
Then another adustment I remember,removing an expander that had been on for 7 months and those molars were extremely loose also because they had moved about 3-4 mm to stand upright. I did actually grab his wrist and he stopped immediately. I had tears running down my cheeks. I squirmed ,squeezed the chair...

I'm not a teenager that's never gone through any "real" pain, I'm a 38 yr old mother of two that does know what "real pain " is . My ortho treatment from beginning until now has been the most painful experience I've gone through. The only reason I've gone through it is because the pain is only for a moment or a few days and then I'm ok.My hubby thinks I'm the strongest woman for electing to have 6 extractions in one day.

Sorry for venting ! I truly mean that :) But reading your post, I could feel exactly the kind of pain you are talking about. If I had the extra $$$ I would ask for a local anesthesia for at least 3 of the adjustments I've had that were the worst.

By the way with all I've said I still believe that doing this has been the best thing I've done for myself and I do think its worth it. I just wish that orthodontics would advance much more than it has. Have you people seen some of the stuff they attach in your mouth and expect you to talk,eat with it in your mouth?!

Gennel

KARESS

#22 Post by KARESS »

Gennel wrote:Wuss? lol?

I went through that same experience when they put a tight powerchain on my VERY loose and super wobbly teeth. So saying wuss or lol? Sorry but until you go through that ...I think your responses might be a lot different.
I have.
it hurts.
&? I didnt cry or vent about it
Just took the pain & kept going
I mean its people who are as young as 7 & 8 that goes through the same pain..if they can take it then i figure we can.

Banded: January. 18th, 2007
De-Banding: Nov. 6th, 2008!
& Nov. 13th, 2008 ; pics soon.

Retainers
Lower Bonded Retainer
Olive Green:
Lower Hawley Retainer
Upper Hawley Retainer

Gennel

#23 Post by Gennel »

I dont think that 7 yr old's just take it and don't question what is being done to them. They just do as they are told by the ortho regardless :(

And everyone is different. I have seen people that have had braces ,my daughter included. I live with her so I know what kind of pain she was in. She told me that she NEVER felt such discomfort like I was.Her case was simple and only wore braces for 12 months. She never had any gaps either . My teeth had to move 6 mm to close gaps in certain areas.
It really depends on the case and person. That's great if you didn't feel the need to vent :)

Gennel

KARESS

#24 Post by KARESS »

Gennel wrote:I dont think that 7 yr old's just take it and don't question what is being done to them. They just do as they are told by the ortho regardless :(

And everyone is different. I have seen people that have had braces ,my daughter included. I live with her so I know what kind of pain she was in. She told me that she NEVER felt such discomfort like I was.Her case was simple and only wore braces for 12 months. She never had any gaps either . My teeth had to move 6 mm to close gaps in certain areas.
It really depends on the case and person. That's great if you didn't feel the need to vent :)

Gennel
I used a 7 year old simply to say..if a child can endure the pain so can we.
For older people to cry about it..that wussy.
No one forced us to get braces.

Its like get over it already
We all knew the experience of getting braces was not going to be fine & dandy before we got them on.

I see people on here who have had braces 5 months to a year and they are still complaining about the pain after they get an adjustment..like okay?

Retainers
Lower Bonded Retainer
Olive Green:
Lower Hawley Retainer
Upper Hawley Retainer

Gennel

#25 Post by Gennel »

This is one of the reasons why this forum is here. To listen,learn and share your experience in braces. That is great that you have no reason to vent .The truth is no one knows exactly what they are getting into when before they get braces. Things may take a turn for the better or worse sometimes but we cope as best we can.I did not know that I actually needed 9 extractions,didnt know I needed a bihelix expander.These things came up when other things didnt work.

Soooo anyway I can say that I can relate to some of the pain of adjustments. For the most part I've had many adjustments that were absolutely painfree. So don't panic over this 1st painful adjustment. It will get better. I'm still in powerchains on top for the past 6 months or so and they dont bother me one bit. In fact I prefer to go for an adjustment and just have them change my powerchain because it's must faster to put on :) You'll feel better in no time and your smile will be awesome!
Gennel
have a great weekend!

KARESS

#26 Post by KARESS »

Oh, I thought the blobs were meant to vent in & the forums were for to ask questions. Silly me.

Retainers
Lower Bonded Retainer
Olive Green:
Lower Hawley Retainer
Upper Hawley Retainer

nimo

#27 Post by nimo »

I had the same thing happen when I had my canine exposure. The ortho was putting a wire in to help pull the tooth down, and it hurt so bad (even with novocaine) that I thought he was mad at me. Having five teeth pulled didn't hurt that badly.
Braced on 17 Feb. 2006.
Five teeth extracted on March 9, 2006.
Canine exposure: February 7, 2007
lefort 3 March 7, 2008
TPA April 22, 2008
2 years 7 months in braces
braces off September 17, 2008

PuppySmiles

#28 Post by PuppySmiles »

nimo wrote:. . . and it hurt so bad (even with novocaine) that I thought he was mad at me
Aww! What a cute/sad way to describe it. :cry:

nimo

#29 Post by nimo »

PuppySmiles wrote:
nimo wrote:. . . and it hurt so bad (even with novocaine) that I thought he was mad at me
Aww! What a cute/sad way to describe it. :cry:
I think it was around lunchtime or the end of the day when he put the wire in, because I remember wondering if he was mad at me for keeping him from leaving. :P But I wasn't about to leave that place without him doing something to my teeth, I was trying to get the show on the road!
Braced on 17 Feb. 2006.
Five teeth extracted on March 9, 2006.
Canine exposure: February 7, 2007
lefort 3 March 7, 2008
TPA April 22, 2008
2 years 7 months in braces
braces off September 17, 2008

Danielle

#30 Post by Danielle »

I can definitely relate to this post! My first adjustment appointment was actually two years ago, but I cringe everytime I think about it! I breezed in the office thinking "oh, this is just an adjustment appointment no big deal." I could not have been more wrong! I got a stronger wire that day--PAINFUL and I used to have an elastic tied around a tooth to bring it in line with my wire (I had a crossbite) and that had to be tied super tight that day... OUCH!

Actually, I was at my usual monthly appointment on Thursday and I was told that I need to have the wire changed on my top arch but there wasn't enough time so I have to go back on Wednesday and I'm totally dreading it. Everytime I hear "wire change" my Ortho's assistant and I always say to my Ortho "are you sure, wire change?" because neither of us want any part of that!
Metal Braces: August 18, 2006-January 14, 2009
Essix-type Retainers: January 14, 2009--present