I HATE THESE SPACERS!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Miranbrady20

#16 Post by Miranbrady20 »

spacers are of the DEVIL!!!! lol they suck bad and braces are soooo much nicer

KLC

#17 Post by KLC »

All of this information has been so helpful!! Just curious when the pain started to kick in from the spacers? I know I've read so many of your stories on here and how painful they were to people. I got my spacers (and brackets) almost 6 hours ago and I'm seriously sitting here waiting for the pain to kick in lol! I did take 2 Alleve *just in case* right before my appt. Maybe that is helping more than I know :shock:

fooforever

#18 Post by fooforever »

well i take it alleve are pain killers?? that could postpone it but my spacers took about 4 hours untill i started to feel slight pain but about 6 untill the proper stuff lol
But there fine now had um 4 days now pain totlay gone just feels like my back 3 teeth on each side are massive lol

KLC

#19 Post by KLC »

well i take it alleve are pain killers??

Sorry! Yes, Alleve is just like Tylenol or Advil... Not sure what you have over in the UK.

Woke up this morning, Day 2 of Spacers, and still no pain. Tomorrow will be the day, will wake up :cry: bc it will eventually get me... I'm just not that lucky- lol!

fooforever

#20 Post by fooforever »

Since i have gotten these spacers in i have noticed back back right tooth has moved and rotated and i think i have lost the spacer.
has anyone found this before? anyone any idea if this is a problem (would have thought it would be)? and any idea how it is fixed? just the braces of what?

thanks nick

KLC

#21 Post by KLC »

Fooforever- I am not sure what would make your back tooth move that much. The spacers are to make room for bands to go around those back teeth but I have never heard of a tooth rotating!

My spacers are blue and are pretty noticeable when I look in the back of my mouth. Can you still see them all? My ortho did tell me that if one falls out, it's ok bc that just means it is "done" and has made the room it needs to make. When do you get the braces on? Your ortho will most likely be taking the spacers out then so if it's tomorrow or even Wed, you're probably ok. But I would def point out the rotated tooth! If your teeth move that fast, maybe that means you'll be in and out of braces in no time!!

Good luck!

P.S. Happy to report that I never experienced any pain due to the spacers. Oddest thing! I feel like my pain will be this weekend when I get the wires, bands and ligs put in on Friday :cry:

lilmissmup

#22 Post by lilmissmup »

I am getting spacers a week today, my friend told me to floss lots before to make it easier.

fooforever

#23 Post by fooforever »

well im on my second day of braces now and suprizingly none of my back teeth have been braced dont no why and the ortho didn't say anything about that tooth or why he didn't do the back teeth ill have to ask next time

lilmissmup

#24 Post by lilmissmup »

Just an update, had my spacers 3 days now and no pain at all, i am amazed and really happy about it!

Only 4 days til braces fitted now :shock:

alpinist

#25 Post by alpinist »

I had 4 spacers and I lost 2 of them and bit through the other 2 within 6 hours of having them put in. They put in some industrial strength ones that lasted the week. They drove me nuts. They didn't hurt, they were just irritating.

Congrats on quitting smoking - I did that years ago. I quit drinking coffee to save money for these braces, and so I won't melt the wax I keep putting on them now.

jaswi

#26 Post by jaswi »

markGl wrote:well i tend to disagree with most, while the spacers where kind of a pain.. the actual braces bother me the most.. im not sure if this happened with anyone else..
same for me... spacers weren't bad but I've hated the braces since day one.

jpiper001

#27 Post by jpiper001 »

i second the hating spacers idea.

(i used my smoking money to join the gym. then i started smoking again a year later. keep it up. if you can do it, i can too. you give me hope.)

PuppySmiles

#28 Post by PuppySmiles »

JRWinnipeg wrote:I thought I'd be smart when I had my spacers a couple weeks ago. Since they told me not to worry if I lose any a few days prior to getting my braces, I "accidentally" lost the one that was particularly bothering me. :roll: Man, was it tough getting the anchor around that molar! They may be painful, but you sure need the space that they create!
OH Winnipeg! You are sneaky. I never thought of that.

beachmommy

#29 Post by beachmommy »

Oh man, my spacers were awful. But hear this. They couldn't put regular spacers in my teeth (which were too tight). They had to force metal spacers in between my teeth. I will never forget that week. :(

madge

#30 Post by madge »

:shock: I am so glad to know that I am not the only one htat hates the spacers. It hurt to even eat lettuce!!! I will hopefully have mine off by Wed of this week.